IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Identifying pods or flowers emerging from trunk

Brandon James

Hey everyone, I have found some new pods emerging from the trunk near the crown, curious if I should let them grow if the are seeds or not bother and if they are flowers let them be? I wasn’t sure what one was and picked at it, and it was a cream colored pod, so I left it alone and today discovered a second one that’s much bigger under another frond. It appears to have some cold damage at the beginning of the tip. I also thought I found some mold on the other side so I treated with a light amount of neem oil mixed with a gallon of water and poured over the tree.

7EC0DA09-5383-4BC8-8CCD-CA173EB6C57F.jpeg

539FEBC3-ADFB-4F02-ADB9-C074BEED3E17.jpeg

545C028E-F25F-4504-84F7-D619AADB553B.jpeg

Flower spathe, they often have that brown tip.  If you don't have any more Trachys around that are flowering you may as well cut it off once it emerges further so that it puts energy into growth not flowers.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Brandon James said:

Hey everyone, I have found some new pods emerging from the trunk near the crown, curious if I should let them grow if the are seeds or not bother and if they are flowers let them be? I wasn’t sure what one was and picked at it, and it was a cream colored pod, so I left it alone and today discovered a second one that’s much bigger under another frond. It appears to have some cold damage at the beginning of the tip. I also thought I found some mold on the other side so I treated with a light amount of neem oil mixed with a gallon of water and poured over the tree.

Based on the size of your Trachycarpus fortunei I'm assuming that this is its first attempt at flowering.  They are dioecious palms so unless you have another palm of the opposite sex you won't get viable seeds.  It looks healthy enough and don't think leaving that flower on will cause any problems for the palm.  Cutting it off might allow more energy to go to frond production.  Chester, you beat me to hitting the return key!

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 3

Jon Sunder

Thanks for the info, our Adam’s needle yuccas flowered for the first time last summer and looks like the windmills gonna flower this year, would it be possible to leave one flower and cut others to give more energy to new fronds or should I cut all flowers off? Curious what it will look like, it’s survived two winters here on the Maine coast with minimal damage, I build a small shelter around it to keep winds and snow off but other than solar heat during the day it’s not heated during nights and we’ve gotten into single digits many times.

How much clear trunk does that windmill have?  Has to be the shortest one I have seen blooming.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chad king NC said:

How much clear trunk does that windmill have?  Has to be the shortest one I have seen blooming.

It’s probably a little more than two feet of trunk before the crown

E54F3FDD-AF45-442A-B130-225B673D3CEC.jpeg

• Like 1

Very nice palm.  Last time I was up in Saco area I spent more time eating lobster rolls than looking for palms.

31 minutes ago, Chad king NC said:

Very nice palm.  Last time I was up in Saco area I spent more time eating lobster rolls than looking for palms.

Lol, I spend my mornings scrounging for lobster and my afternoons in the yard landscaping and watering the palms

9A53A53E-4D7B-4AF5-AFEA-43B79A801F4C.jpeg

42F3D780-7C31-4CCD-8F22-B29A9A594804.jpeg

AF6A5ACF-3EA3-4620-85F2-6A994182166F.jpeg

• Like 1

Thats some beautiful land up there.  Love it up at Baxter state park.  I never knew how big moose really was until I saw them there.

On 4/6/2021 at 4:36 PM, Brandon James said:

Thanks for the info, our Adam’s needle yuccas flowered for the first time last summer and looks like the windmills gonna flower this year, would it be possible to leave one flower and cut others to give more energy to new fronds or should I cut all flowers off? Curious what it will look like, it’s survived two winters here on the Maine coast with minimal damage, I build a small shelter around it to keep winds and snow off but other than solar heat during the day it’s not heated during nights and we’ve gotten into single digits many times.

I would cut them all off.  Palm blooms are overrated!   Often times, after cold stress, some plants flower.  My aloe always does this! 

• Upvote 1