Ras

Struggling Golden Cane - Suggestions Please!

Ras

Hi Palm Friends. I recently moved my Golden Cane into a different pot as the one it was in had cracked and the roots were starting to push through. She was never the stunner, but is now looking a little rough (pics below).

- Leaves are not green and shriveled

- New fronds taking longer to open, and are opening up already dry

- Many black spots on the palm

I did "tickle the roots" and removed some of the old dirt when re-potting so that it would fit into the new pots smaller head. I also noticed some air pockets when I was watering a few days after, and filled those in with more palm soil mix. She gets about 6-10 gallons of water per week based on the season, and is fertilized with Miracle Gro Palm fertilizer.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2cf6.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2cf8.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2cf5.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2cf7.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2cf9.jpg

• Like 1

gtsteve

Ras, I don't know So Cal but around here those never look good in pots. I can see that the matching pots with palms in them look ok from a design angle, but I think that Golden Cane usually looks it's best in the ground.

Still I think that your yard looks better with it there than if it was not, even if not in top condition.

Ras

Thanks @gtsteve

I do have multiple palms around the pool that I hand manage. Hopefully I can get this one to thrive - just need to know what to do best.

akamu

I agree with gtsteve These do much better in ground here and have a lot of roots if you're going to keep it in the pot I would say get a larger pot. These do best with good Drainage and half day sun further inland.  I had one in a pot and always look like crap one in the ground grows fantastic.  Here is some pics of one of mine in part day sun 8 miles inland 

20210406_094049.jpg

20210406_094111.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ras

Wow, those look great! How much water do you give them?

Butch

I agree with the other guys... Mine need thinning out, but the do well in full sun, 15miles from the ocean...

UjRaIZu.jpg

Butch

• Like 1

akamu
15 hours ago, Ras said:

Wow, those look great! How much water do you give them?

I water them a lot this part of my garden drains the fastest it's on a crappy old drip system but I supplemental water once or twice a week