IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaedorea metallica

aabell

I rescued several pots of Chamaedorea metallica from a thrift store last year. I think they had been growing in a closet and then were sat out in full sun outside the store when I found them, so they were etiolated and fried. The new growth since I've planted them is beautiful and they seem indestructible, I'm convinced I can't kill this palm. I separated the four palms in one of the pots, and have had to transplant some of those individuals multiple times to find the right shady spot. They did not seem to mind all of that root disturbance.

Anyways, the smallest individual is extremely thin in one spot, which I only noticed recently after I pulled some old sheaths off. How hard would it be to air layer right here? Because it might snap off in a stiff breeze and then it will just be dead.

Second question, does this palm require hand pollination? I have a good mix of what I believe are male and female plants, all coming into flower right now. Is it difficult to get seeds?

20210324_190633.jpg

20210324_190619.jpg

20210405_114758.jpg

20210405_114813.jpg

20210405_114901.jpg

Edited by aabell
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, aabell said:

I rescued several pots of Chamaedorea metallica from a thrift store last year. I think they had been growing in a closet and then were sat out in full sun outside the store when I found them, so they were etiolated and fried. The new growth since I've planted them is beautiful and they seem indestructible, I'm convinced I can't kill this palm. I separated the four palms in one of the pots, and have had to transplant some of those individuals multiple times to find the right shady spot. They did not seem to mind all of that root disturbance.

Anyways, the smallest individual is extremely thin in one spot, which I only noticed recently after I pulled some old sheaths off. How hard would it be to air layer right here? Because it might snap off in a stiff breeze and then it will just be dead.

Second question, does this palm require hand pollination? I have a good mix of what I believe are male and female plants, all coming into flower right now. Is it difficult to get seeds?

20210324_190633.jpg

20210324_190619.jpg

20210405_114758.jpg

20210405_114813.jpg

20210405_114901.jpg

Yes, you'll have to hand pollinate these.. More specifically, Emasculate the male flowers, and press them into the female flowers.. Takes a little practice since the flowers are tiny, but was extremely successful each time i pollinated the plants i had.

For how " tropical " they look, agree, one of the most indestructible palms alive, except when trying to grow in the low desert, lol  ..at least was my experience. Hung on for awhile but ultimately our heat/lack of any humidity -most of the year- was too much in pots. Miss them more than pretty much any other palm i have grown. 

As for the thin stalked plant, might leave it alone and see if that spot hardens off properly, only removing it if top growth declines / the thin area starts looking worse.

• Like 3

@Silas_Sancona Yes I remember now I found some detailed hand pollination instructions on an old thread here. I will have to attempt it. I was hoping that growing right next to each other there might be a chance it happens naturally.

5 minutes ago, aabell said:

@Silas_Sancona Yes I remember now I found some detailed hand pollination instructions on an old thread here. I will have to attempt it. I was hoping that growing right next to each other there might be a chance it happens naturally.

Possible for sure, but have heard the beetle that does the job in habitat isn't present in the U.S.  Not to say something -else- might not fill in that niche here though since other Chamaedorea do pollinate/ produce viable seed naturally in cultivation.

Wonderful looking C. metallica and good luck with pollination. Hope my ones will flower somedays and I too have a male and female out of my three ones.

Keep us updated.

Regards

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

post-31-1233548196_thumb.jpg

This palm is in the original container, a plastic pot 15cm dia. x 18 cm tall (6x7"). The trunk is 203 cm tall (80"), and the crown is 30cm (12"), for a grand total of 251 cm (99"), equalling the room height. The trunk has 128 leafbase scars. This species is one of the few that can be 'mossed' to induce adventitious roots higher up. Then the top can be cut off and re-started shorter. At first I planned to do that, but as time passed, I found it more interesting to see how high this palm could go! Another one of similar size has died, so I will re-start this one soon.

(Besides, it's getting too tall for my greenhouse! :mrlooney:

C. metallica is amenable to air layering.  I reduced the height of this palm by half.  Look for a node that already has some hint of adventitious roots.

I used a very well-designed specialty pot.   www.rooterpot.com

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

Massive plant and interesting project. Keep my thumbs crossed for your success.

Regards Eckhard

Edited by Palmensammler

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

I have been lucky with my Metallica self producing seeds. Not sure if it is bees or some other insect. But no help from just mother nature doing her thing 

20210405_175446.jpg

20210405_175604.jpg

20210405_175530.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

image.thumb.jpeg.b0ab5ff06b095cf3c13b34c4ebc83a9c.jpeg

I got best results by paint brushing pollen on female flowers and then tying male bract together with female flowers. Prior not much success letting Nature take its course.

• 2 months later...

Hello all! I rescued my own Metallica palm from a local plant person, but I realized after the fact that it had a thrips infection and the plant did not make it under my care. I wanted to attempt to grow some from seed, but I’ve been unable to find seeds online. If you have spare seeds, would you mind selling me some?