IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Should I move my palm tree to another spot?

maskedmole

I didn't really plan ahead and planted a windmill palm under a power line a few years ago. It is about a foot or 2 to the left of it. The top power line is about 15 ft high maybe and the line under it about 12 ft high. According the web it says it normally grows to only about 8-10ft in the cooler growing zones 6 and 7. I am in Tennessee, and some sites list my area as zone 6b, other sites say I am in zone 7a. Most of our winters are above zero.

But it's absolute max height is like 30 or 40ft if it is in really ideal conditions. It says it commonly reaches 10-20ft in landscape uses, however. It is in I would say partial or full shade. I know it's probably really unlikely to get past 10ft. Has it ever gone past 10ft in a cooler zone, or should I just not take any chances and move it? I know it probably wouldn't like to be dug up and also it has been established for so long and handles winters much better than it's first winter in which it defoliated but every winter after that it has kept it's lush green leaves.

It seems really happy their and puts out several leaves a year. It seems to love our abundant rains. It, however, doesn't seem to grow very fast trunk wise. Maybe it grew about an inch or two of trunk over 3 years and 10 or so leaves.

Lowest lows per year 2007-2019: 7F,  5F0F7F3.9F14F14F, -8.9F, 0.1F, 7.2F, 1.2F, -0.8F, 10.2F..... Averaged: 4.6F

@maskedmole Welcome to PT At your palms current growth rate I wouldn't worry about it, could be decades with no crazy freezes before it would ever get the axe from the power company. I really dont think it's worth trying to move now. Not saying you can't, just don't think it's worth possibly losing it trying to save it in 20 years or so. 

T J 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

T J