Jump to content
Love them palms

JUBAEA X QUEEN. who has them?

Recommended Posts

JohnAndSancho
23 hours ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

The second pic is when I received this Butia x Lytocaryum w. as a seedling in April of 2015.  

I'm sold. I sent an email this morning. Hopefully I'll have one of these on my patio in a couple weeks. A fat trunked Lyto just seems awesome to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal
13 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I'm sold. I sent an email this morning. Hopefully I'll have one of these on my patio in a couple weeks. A fat trunked Lyto just seems awesome to me. 

These look much more like a thin trunked Butia, but still worth having in colder climates!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnAndSancho
3 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

These look much more like a thin trunked Butia, but still worth having in colder climates!

I placed my order this morning. :greenthumb:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
2 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I placed my order this morning. :greenthumb:

Did you order from Patric? I sent two emails this month and got no response, do you mind PM to confirm his email has not changed? Or did you have a phone # etc.. thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnAndSancho
2 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Did you order from Patric? I sent two emails this month and got no response, do you mind PM to confirm his email has not changed? Or did you have a phone # etc.. thanks in advance.

Just an email. Pm sent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Love them palms
6 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Did you order from Patric? I sent two emails this month and got no response, do you mind PM to confirm his email has not changed? Or did you have a phone # etc.. thanks in advance.

Try coolhybrids@yahoo.com. its the one I always use 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I placed my order this morning. :greenthumb:

What size did you get ? I bought his 8x12 size and it's a beaut.

T J 

16179203077963613603157258534340.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnAndSancho
2 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

What size did you get ? I bought his 8x12 size and it's a beaut.

T J 

16179203077963613603157258534340.jpg

I just bought a band size. Until I get a bigger place to live, I'm short on space. My staff at work has already dubbed my office "The Green Room," my patio is full, and my apartment gets little to no natural light. 

 

Currently looking at shelves for the office and more grow lights for the apartment :floor:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnAndSancho
On 4/8/2021 at 5:19 PM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

What size did you get ? I bought his 8x12 size and it's a beaut.

T J 

16179203077963613603157258534340.jpg

Planning to plop it into a 2gal pot and amend the soil with bark and turface. Sound like a good idea? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
38 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Planning to plop it into a 2gal pot and amend the soil with bark and turface. Sound like a good idea? 

I don’t know enough about soil for indoor palms. I just know that in Texas, we do not need well draining soil for palms for pot culture. The more water retention the better if you don’t want to hand water twice a day June through end of September. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnAndSancho
10 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

I don’t know enough about soil for indoor palms. I just know that in Texas, we do not need well draining soil for palms for pot culture. The more water retention the better if you don’t want to hand water twice a day June through end of September. 

Good to know. I do use the well draining stuff in my Lytos, but I did finally decide to just buy a $5 bag of cheap soil instead of paying $30 for stuff with cooler labels.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnAndSancho
On 4/8/2021 at 5:19 PM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

What size did you get ? I bought his 8x12 size and it's a beaut.

T J 

16179203077963613603157258534340.jpg

Maybe I shoulda bought a bigger one lol 

Message_1618862543666_2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
8 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Maybe I shoulda bought a bigger one lol 

Message_1618862543666_2.jpg

I bought the same exact size the first time and I managed to kill it so I sent bigger =) Hopefully I'll have better luck 

T J 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnAndSancho
13 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I bought the same exact size the first time and I managed to kill it so I sent bigger =) Hopefully I'll have better luck 

T J 

That was not at all reassuring :mellow::floor:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
15 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

That was not at all reassuring :mellow::floor:

Yeah I managed to kill a BxLyto and a (BxJ)xS and my JxB ain't looking to hot haha. Seedlings seem to give me some trouble haha 

T J 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

Well I am seeing some movement on my hybrid. This one is an F2 offspring from Huntington Botanical Garden in California. I think it probably has some Butia in the mix too. I did wrap it extensively, but it wasn’t enough. 
I was warned that in the 80s the power went off,  so I never invested in supplemental heat like old xmas lights, heat  tape, etc...,

I fully expected a quick Freeze in the single digits was well over due. I couldn’t predict that the coldest consecutive 7 days since 1895 ( 126 years ) was going to happen........

that is until I started seeing the computer models 10 days out on Feb 4, I think I was just so helpless feeling that I was a deer in headlights! I did decide almost at the last minute to do what I could. However, even those measures have had iffy if any results.

The plants I put in my garage saw 19*.  Where I had a 15 gallon Patric JxS. ( It’s  alive) The longest I had power was a Rolling 1 hour on for three days.

Next event, should be short, but power?? I am not convinced. 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
5 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

The plants I put in my garage saw 19*.  Where I had a 15 gallon Patric JxS. ( It’s  alive)

Glad to hear your JxS made it !!! What kept you from planting it before the freeze ? 

T J 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
14 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Glad to hear your JxS made it !!! What kept you from planting it before the freeze ? 

T J 

No good reason, I hadn’t decided where and how to plant it. My soil is hard as a rock to plant anything and jubaea and butia don’t work. I have to make very large raised beds for them and it’s a bit of a project. 

While I wait to see if I have any miracles come out of my palms, I have spent money on future replacements. Obviously not a wise thing to do. But that’s me for ya. I bought small and want to get a head start on them.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnAndSancho
On 4/8/2021 at 5:19 PM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

What size did you get ? I bought his 8x12 size and it's a beaut.

T J 

16179203077963613603157258534340.jpg

Just finished plopping mine into the 2g pot. Do these need tons of water? I do need to water my Lytos daily but they're in the soilless Pal Meir recipe - you can literally spit into the pot and watch it drain out the bottom in a matter of seconds. 

Message_1619039715610.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
6 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Do these need tons of water?

I dont believe so , just make sure no overhead watering 

T J 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
7 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Just finished plopping mine into the 2g pot. Do these need tons of water? I do need to water my Lytos daily but they're in the soilless Pal Meir recipe - you can literally spit into the pot and watch it drain out the bottom in a matter of seconds. 

Message_1619039715610.jpg

I would let me be on the dry side. Water well then let dry out ever so slightly. Give them as much as light as possible and don’t water the crown.

I like your saucers, I would fill that up and  let see if bottom watering works. It is how I would water a potted desert palm like Brahea Armata or Washingtonia Filifera.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal

This is one of those palms that does not do well in pots.  They really need to be in ground to grow explosively fast.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnAndSancho
28 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

This is one of those palms that does not do well in pots.  They really need to be in ground to grow explosively fast.

I guess it's more incentive for me to stay in this town and find a house. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
13 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I guess it's more incentive for me to stay in this town and find a house. 

Just don’t buy a house unless you want to live in that town for many years. Otherwise, you can’t take your palms with you if you want to move. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnAndSancho
47 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Just don’t buy a house unless you want to live in that town for many years. Otherwise, you can’t take your palms with you if you want to move. 

Def don't like Huntsville that much. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
26 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Def don't like Huntsville that much. 

I think the soil is acidic there. (Pines) Not sure what city water is like. It may not be so bad for cold hardy plants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnAndSancho
1 hour ago, Collectorpalms said:

I think the soil is acidic there. (Pines) Not sure what city water is like. It may not be so bad for cold hardy plants.

I've never looked at water quality reports, but I manage a hotel here and trying to get hard water stains off the glass and faucets is a nightmare. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

I hoping here in another two weeks to report a new spike. I have Really been trying to save this palm after a few surgeries and regular peroxide treatments. It’s one that will be impossibly to replace. But despite its evident damage in the meristem its better formed and now I feel it developing into tiny stems.
It had green older fronds for a few weeks and then the spear pulled. I probably should have been more aggressive initially but it looked like I just need to have patience, well eventually that wained and cut it twice. I could have done just a little bit deeper but i didn’t want to risk killing it for sure.

So I have hope- Or I have totally lost it!

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

What did I say, it’s alive! Just hit it with some more peroxide after picture. It The Frankenstein palm lmao36F1834C-57A5-4766-BB25-F9A6B503C29D.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
matthedlund
On 4/6/2021 at 7:10 AM, Ben in Norcal said:

I can't remember which way around it is, but he's made the Jubaea/Parajubaea cross.  I have a small one.  Very slow, even in my heat.

I think your Parajubaea cocoides x Jubaea chilensis and mine are the same age. Mine's been slow, but steady here in Seattle.

20210330_102051.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B

@matthedlund are you planning on ever sticking it in the ground?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
matthedlund
4 hours ago, Chester B said:

@matthedlund are you planning on ever sticking it in the ground?

Oh for sure. Maybe not this season, but definitely next. It was lite on roots when I bought it a couple years ago and it's been taking its sweet time rooting in. Seems stable enough now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

you should start a thread on that hybrid specifically! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Love them palms
20 hours ago, matthedlund said:

I think your Parajubaea cocoides x Jubaea chilensis and mine are the same age. Mine's been slow, but steady here in Seattle.

20210330_102051.jpg

These are 2 of my favorites I got from Patric- BJXJUBAEA cross and the JUBAEA x BJ cross. Matt you probably saw them when you were here last. BTW how is the Jubaea x Queen doing?

16198270347924088144668833162038.jpg

16198270856235409450635258657908.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
matthedlund
3 hours ago, Love them palms said:

These are 2 of my favorites I got from Patric- BJXJUBAEA cross and the JUBAEA x BJ cross. Matt you probably saw them when you were here last. BTW how is the Jubaea x Queen doing?

16198270347924088144668833162038.jpg

16198270856235409450635258657908.jpg

The little Jubaea x Syagrus I got from you hasn't done much yet, but it's only been a few weeks. My older one seems to finally be picking up some speed.

20210330_115838.jpg

20210330_115851.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swolte

I have a young JxS and it's been doing well. I had a scare after the big Texas freeze as I left it in the ground being only protected it with a frost blanket and (a lot of) hay. No heat source. I had palms protected by many more layers (fleece blankets, etc...) but for some bizarre reason forgot about leveling up this one (frankly, there was a LOT on my mind the days leading up to the event).  In the end it all worked out. There was frond damage but I didn't get spearpul. Its pushing growth now.  I'll show a pic when it looks better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...