IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

JUBAEA X QUEEN. who has them?

Love them palms

Just got my second Jubaea x Queen today from my trusted palm seller.who else has these beautiful trees.how common are they? Show off yours. They are perfect for the Pacific Northwest Z8B

16175791677273844777029268346957.jpg

16175792110705792824820799655591.jpg

Edited by Love them palms
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have a tiny one from Patric. They are so beautiful, I don't think it's very common in our area. Even, Patrick doesn't have it for sale this year.

PXL_20210404_234706611.PORTRAIT.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Trustandi said:

I have a tiny one from Patric. They are so beautiful, I don't think it's very common in our area. Even, Patrick doesn't have it for sale this year.

PXL_20210404_234706611.PORTRAIT.jpg

That did surprise me as well. The best I could get from Patrick this year was a parajubea cocoides x Butia/Jubaea but it looks just as great 

I had what I Suspect was a jxs and a (bxj)xs, but both appear dead after this winter in Texas zone 8b. They had been in the ground about a decade. I had protected the jxs, but the one week of cold was too much. 

I have a 15 gallon jxs from a Patrick hybrid that I may plant this year or next. They look

they look different than the ones pictured above however. I’ll post pictures post recovery. I expect my yard to not look presentable for three seasons....

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

6 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

I had what I Suspect was a jxs and a (bxj)xs, but both appear dead after this winter in Texas zone 8b. They had been in the ground about a decade. I had protected the jxs, but the one week of cold was too much. 

I have a 15 gallon jxs from a Patrick hybrid that I may plant this year or next. They look

they look different than the ones pictured above however. I’ll post pictures post recovery. I expect my yard to not look presentable for three seasons....

Cut them back past the rott & keep hitting them with peroxide., saved my Yatty x queen that way.

Edited by Laaz

2 hours ago, Laaz said:

Cut them back past the rott & keep hitting them with peroxide., saved my Yatty x queen that way.

I trunk cut them, I have trunk cut dozens of palms. The meristem came out, looked like the head of an octopus. One of them is tipping over. Froze at ground level. So there is a hole at the base of it. Your showing one that is small I had several that were very tall. When the freeze was over. One trunk started ooozing fluid and bubbles, it was a horrible site.

I have used a lot of peroxide these days...

I just had to trunk cut a huge Sabal Uresana today after it’s spear pulled. That how bad it was. It was so thick I had issues getting the chain saw through it.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Upvote 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

9 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

I trunk cut them, I have trunk cut dozens of palms. The meristem came out, looked like the head of an octopus. One of them is tipping over. Froze at ground level. So there is a hole at the base of it. Your showing one that is small I had several that were very tall. When the freeze was over. One trunk started ooozing fluid and bubbles, it was a horrible site.

I have used a lot of peroxide these days..

:(

14 hours ago, Love them palms said:

That did surprise me as well. The best I could get from Patrick this year was a parajubea cocoides x Butia/Jubaea but it looks just as great 

Can I ask, What does Patrick have this year?

25 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Can I ask, What does Patrick have this year?

This is the latest version this year of what he has

8483.jpeg

• Upvote 1

How low did you get? My thermometer read 4*F. This is what my (bxj)xs looks like looking down. The white you see is where the meristem base was. It looked like an octopus at the bottom when it came out. There is nothing but a crater in there. You can put a gallon of peroxide In it and it will run out the bottom. It’s hard to tell but about a foot wide.

The same thing happened to two robustas I checked. It’s a hole inside. I can’t understand how the freeze did it, but it did.

205949EB-8AF2-40C8-B630-3A02DE098619.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms

I dug up and replanted my biggest JxS. It is not looking great, but the newest spear and a couple other leaves are still green. Others turned white. If I had to do it all over again, I would've left it and covered the base with dirt. Oh well.

18 hours ago, Love them palms said:

Just got my second Jubaea x Queen today from my trusted palm seller.who else has these beautiful trees.how common are they? Show off yours. They are perfect for the Pacific Northwest Z8B

16175791677273844777029268346957.jpg

16175792110705792824820799655591.jpg

Wow I'm guessing you got this from the place you told me about smh Looks a lil too big to ship tho haha Dream palm for me , one day I'll own one 

T J 

T J 

1 hour ago, Collectorpalms said:

How low did you get? My thermometer read 4*F. This is what my (bxj)xs looks like looking down. The white you see is where the meristem base was. It looked like an octopus at the bottom when it came out. There is nothing but a crater in there. You can put a gallon of peroxide In it and it will run out the bottom. It’s hard to tell but about a foot wide.

The same thing happened to two robustas I checked. It’s a hole inside. I can’t understand how the freeze did it, but it did.

205949EB-8AF2-40C8-B630-3A02DE098619.jpeg

That doesn't look good from my experience, hoping for the best for you. 

After much peroxide and fizzing, my (JXB)xB)xB) that never recovered from the "puddin' hole syndrome" after an extreme cold event.

IMAG0765.thumb.jpg.36c23ccfdf755c293fb3dc7e7c6c724d.jpg 

• Upvote 2

Horrific. But sadly I have seen the same.

Edited by Collectorpalms

23 hours ago, Love them palms said:

:w00: man that sounds too good to be true! Jubaea blood with parajubaea 

I also fantasize about somehow getting syagrus genes in with parajubaea in some Frankenstein cross 

1 hour ago, Tropicdoc said:

I also fantasize about somehow getting syagrus genes in with parajubaea in some Frankenstein cross 

Guess Patrick tried crossing a Jubaea with parajubea pollen but it didn't take.but parajubea with Butia/Jubaea means Pacific Northwest tolerance 

That pudding hole syndrome is indeed horrific. 

@Love them palms oh I was hoping we would have that hybrid ( Jubaea x Para.Sunk) in the future.  How big is the parajubaea x bj? Are you planting it in the ground?

@Trustandi I was hoping for Jubaea x Parajubaea too, since I assume it would grow quicker than Jubaea x Syagrus in our cool summers, as is the case with Butia x Parajubaea compared to Butyagrus. The next best thing would be Jubutia x Parajubaea.

I can't remember which way around it is, but he's made the Jubaea/Parajubaea cross.  I have a small one.  Very slow, even in my heat.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

15 hours ago, Tropicdoc said:

it is truly a nice looking tree- parajubea cocoides x Butia/Jubaea 

16177243962786230470658445090358.jpg

4 hours ago, Love them palms said:

it is truly a nice looking tree- parajubea cocoides x Butia/Jubaea 

16177243962786230470658445090358.jpg

So far so good. I would hope it would have even less of the b shape to the plane of the fronds than the b x pjc 

On 4/5/2021 at 10:20 AM, Love them palms said:

This is the latest version this year of what he has

8483.jpeg

I'm really curious about how butia x L. Weddellanium would look and grow. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, JohnAndSancho said:

Might work for you but worried it would not work in the Pacific Northwest 

Just now, Love them palms said:

Might work for you but worried it would not work in the Pacific Northwest 

I'm hoping it jives indoors lol. 

10 hours ago, Flow said:

@Trustandi I was hoping for Jubaea x Parajubaea too, since I assume it would grow quicker than Jubaea x Syagrus in our cool summers, as is the case with Butia x Parajubaea compared to Butyagrus. The next best thing would be Jubutia x Parajubaea.

Jubaea x Syagrus grew fairly fast for me in TX.  It was faster than Syagrus x Jubaea. 

29 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

It’s been a fast grower in San Marcos, TX.  This is it before the freeze: 4CF747AF-053B-4BB5-9DE3-D2A4024C116E.thumb.jpeg.4a891b2a6537b433e0763102ef6e0f1d.jpeg

296A72B0-395D-48CE-B366-31BDC55F0BFC.jpeg

057D63FA-CE43-43E6-A039-4C8261FBAC79.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

It’s been a fast grower in San Marcos, TX.  This is it before the freeze: 4CF747AF-053B-4BB5-9DE3-D2A4024C116E.thumb.jpeg.4a891b2a6537b433e0763102ef6e0f1d.jpeg

296A72B0-395D-48CE-B366-31BDC55F0BFC.jpeg

057D63FA-CE43-43E6-A039-4C8261FBAC79.jpeg

Nice! How long have you been growing it?

The second pic is when I received this Butia x Lytocaryum w. as a seedling in April of 2015.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

The second pic is when I received this Butia x Lytocaryum w. as a seedling in April of 2015.  

That's pretty damn impressive. 

16 hours ago, Trustandi said:

@Ben in NorcalMaybe it has too much jubaea gene? Any picture of it, i have never seen Jubaea x Para. 

Maybe.  Let me see if I can go snap a pic.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Here it is. Nothing special at this stage. Patric’s label says “PJC x JUB” so looks like Parajubaea was the mother.

C82E05BE-C92C-47DD-8C2F-8099880EAE33.jpeg

• Like 2

Ben Rogers

7 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Here it is. Nothing special at this stage. Patric’s label says “PJC x JUB” so looks like Parajubaea was the mother.

C82E05BE-C92C-47DD-8C2F-8099880EAE33.jpeg

Thank you, Ben! It is beautiful as well. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@Matt N- Dallas Your BxLyto is a Beaut , looks like a more elegant mule. How did it fair during the freeze? 

I defoliated it, wrapped with a 40’ heating cable, wrapped with a cotton painters tarp, then wrapped with a plastic tarp.  It is fine and has been pushing new growth since the first of March.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

I defoliated it, wrapped with a 40’ heating cable, wrapped with a cotton painters tarp, then wrapped with a plastic tarp.  It is fine and has been pushing new growth since the first of March.  

Did you lose power? The longest we had power was 1 hour on, then off again for 3-4days.

57 minutes ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

That is good to hear , hopefully it makes a full recovering and looking gorgeous in no time haha 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

1 hour ago, Collectorpalms said:

Did you lose power? The longest we had power was 1 hour on, then off again for 3-4days.

I did lose power on the Monday after Valentine’s day- for about a day.  Then it cycled on & off for four more days.  I defoliated, heated & wrapped an acrocomia totai + all the Butia hybrids except one mule.  The unheated mule froze.