IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bald Cypress in Montreal

EastCanadaTropicals

I know about the large Bald Cypress in the Montreal Botanical Gardens, which is the northernmost mature Bald Cypress in the east, but is there any other Bald Cypress in Montreal, I haven't been able to find any, but i'll check on street view. 

The Montreal botanical garden specimen:

Screenshot 2021-04-04 140207.png

Screenshot 2021-04-04 140231.png

Edited by EastCanadaTropicals

Nothing to say here. 

I would also like some Willow Oak pics.

Nothing to say here. 

I've never been to Montreal and I don't know if it's possible to grow them there, but I'm quite certain that's not a bald cypress.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, aabell said:

I've never been to Montreal and I don't know if it's possible to grow them there, but I'm quite certain that's not a bald cypress.

Inaturalist said it was a Bald Cypress, and Montreal is 5b, so Bald Cypress can grow there. Label for more proof:

Maybe it's the camera pixelation, but it looks like a Bald Cypress to me.

large.jpg

Nothing to say here. 

38 minutes ago, aabell said:

It is hard to tell due to pixelation.

Nothing to say here. 

If that picture was taken in the last day or two, I don't see how that can be a Bald Cypress as ones even here in Northern FL are still bare or just now leafing out- so I can't see how one could be fully leafed out in Montreal already. Needles of that one also look too broad to be a Bald Cypress (looks almost like an Arborvitae). Bald Cypress needles are more thin and, well, "needle-like."

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Matthew92 said:

If that picture was taken in the last day or two, I don't see how that can be a Bald Cypress as ones even here in Northern FL are still bare or just now leafing out- so I can't see how one could be fully leafed out in Montreal already. Needles of that one also look too broad to be a Bald Cypress (looks almost like an Arborvitae). Bald Cypress needles are more thin and, well, "needle-like."

Exactly what I was thinking, I believe it's some sort of Thuja or similar. Photo was taken in spring I presume based on the other bare trees, Bald Cypress would still be bare. Bald cypress is very soft textured and 'open', not dense like this, and I've never seen one keep so much foliage that low to the ground.

Edited by aabell
  • Like 1

Not to say they can't grow there, but, agree w/ others, doubting the tree in the center of the picture is a Bald Cypress. Crisp, detailed / close up pictures of the foliage would help. There is another tree to the right that " fits better " but, hard to tell exactly what it is.  May not even be a conifer.

As far as Inat data, while usually on the mark, it is far from perfect. Have seen some extremely obvious miss- indentifications made there.  Possible the tree is mis- labeled as well. Have seen this more than enough times while plant sleuthing through botanical gardens.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aabell said:
4 hours ago, Matthew92 said:

I got this on street view, sorry for the confusion. 

Nothing to say here. 

4 hours ago, aabell said:

Do you have any other photos?

I haven't been to the botanical gardens yet, so no. They would still have no leaves, so not much purpose.

Nothing to say here. 

6 hours ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

I know about the large Bald Cypress in the Montreal Botanical Gardens, which is the northernmost mature Bald Cypress in the east, but is there any other Bald Cypress in Montreal, I haven't been able to find any, but i'll check on street view. 

Compare:

Taxodium-distichum.jpg

Nothing to say here. 

I wonder if it might be Dawn Redwood 'gold rush'? They are similar enough it would not shock me at all to see a botanical garden mix that up. I still don't see bald cypress but if that deciduous pic you posted is the same tree it must be either that or Metasequioa I suppose. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aabell said:

I wonder if it might be Dawn Redwood 'gold rush'? They are similar enough it would not shock me at all to see a botanical garden mix that up. I still don't see bald cypress but if that deciduous pic you posted is the same tree it must be either that or Metasequioa I suppose. 

I think you're right.

Nothing to say here. 

I see what looks like a Metasequoia to the right. A Taxodium would have about the same amount of foliage at this time.

• Like 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

On 4/4/2021 at 12:57 PM, EastCanadaTropicals said:

When was this image taken?  I notice bare trees in the background.  Bald Cypress are just leafing out after our freeze in Texas.  The bare trees in background lends me to believe that this is an evergreen conifer.  Not that it can't be grown in 5b because they are fairly cold hardy. 

Edited by PricklyPearSATC
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

At the Fauna Foundation In south shore Montréal I have two dozen Bald Cypress trees, some now 5 years old and I have never lost one to winter. They are incredibly resilient and adaptable - much tougher than Dawn Redwoods. I have two more growing where I live 75 miles east of Montréal in a Canadian zone 4 with no problem.