IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Clinostigma savoryanum

realarch

Sort of a miniature Clino for me, which makes for a choice palm. Growing in what seems to be solid rock, which I’m sure slows it’s growth, gives it great scale and a palm to look at and not up. Nothing like the glow of a Clino crown shaft.

Tim

EFEC8F43-B501-4807-B58C-160F1DF38E08.jpeg

0A1B2599-320F-4C7E-BA4E-C9951F85818D.jpeg

BEAE0327-81A6-4FE9-BDA2-7396F1D6E978.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Upvote 6

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

A beautiful species!

I am glad that I could join the club. The last year's seed delivery I received from the Ogasawara Island contained very viable seeds. I got approximately 40 or more sprouts out of 50. A few will be planted out soon - I am really looking forward their growth. 

best regards from Okinawa - 

Lars

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

One of my favorites mahalo for sharing .Looks like a young D. albofarinosa to the left? And marojejya insignis on the right ? 

• Upvote 1

I have 2 that are very young. Planted last spring as probably 3 gallon size. Now both are 6 feet tall at the top of the leaves. Pretty fast growers too. Not Archontophoenix fast but put out 4 leaves last year. 

63F81FFA-B41B-49AA-A928-B45E67C6B34A.jpeg

1B085417-CD16-4B5B-B5C1-8C87E1236DC9.png

84F4D2C3-2A45-49B0-BD2A-982272BBF789.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Just popped one in the ground this morning, my first one. Beautiful palm.

• Upvote 2

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Can't grow them like Hawaii here in a warm temperate climate but they give me pleasure.  The crownshaft is particularly beautiful but I resisted pulling off the old boot for the photo.

IMG_2699.JPG

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Pics of my two savoryanums from east Hawaii Island, fronds reach up to 7 or 8 feet. These aren't large enough yet to teach me the subtle morphological differences from other Clinostigma species that I am growing: warburgii, harlandii, exorrhizum, ponapense, and gronophylum.  However, the ID is from Floribunda, my source for them, so should be reliable.

1694055558_Clinostigmasavoryanum_1_MLM_040421.thumb.JPG.5be94efec1df38ad70fe595a3a9164be.JPG

1610058008_Clinostigmasavoryanum_2_MLM_040421.thumb.JPG.6dfced215ae0506ed0d76420b2e00fcc.JPG

• Like 12
  • Upvote 3

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Walked past this one the other day and thought it matched Clinostigma savoryanum:

image.png.8f27d6ba053bb9de1fd3d6e6d6dade70.png

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

43 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Walked past this one the other day and thought it matched Clinostigma savoryanum:

Somewhat similar, but that looks like Carpoxylon.

Tim

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Adam, the small clumper on the left is a D. lutescens and the on the right is a Marojejya darianii.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Just thought I’d throw in a coupe more photos. These are Clinostigma samoense in a ‘wild’ part of the garden.

They are loving the 80”+, (2000mm), so far this year. Glug, glug.

Tim 

E932F31A-0EB7-4C23-90CE-9B6B67D38D09.jpeg

42A08FB5-A1F3-4309-83C1-5B43B355C51A.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 4

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

On 4/4/2021 at 5:59 PM, mike in kurtistown said:

Pics of my two savoryanums from east Hawaii Island, fronds reach up to 7 or 8 feet. These aren't large enough yet to teach me the subtle morphological differences from other Clinostigma species that I am growing: warburgii, harlandii, exorrhizum, ponapense, and gronophylum.  However, the ID is from Floribunda, my source for them, so should be reliable.

1694055558_Clinostigmasavoryanum_1_MLM_040421.thumb.JPG.5be94efec1df38ad70fe595a3a9164be.JPG

1610058008_Clinostigmasavoryanum_2_MLM_040421.thumb.JPG.6dfced215ae0506ed0d76420b2e00fcc.JPG

Armchair expert here :) The most noticeable difference between samoense and savoryanum is the drooping leaflets. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

4 minutes ago, cobra2326 said:

Armchair expert here :) The most noticeable difference between samoense and savoryanum is the drooping leaflets. 

And the color. Savoryanum has it beat in terms of color. 

Thanks for your response marojejya are incredible Palms just too dry here. My M. Insignis ended up looking like a burnt potato chip after  Santa ana winds cooked it

On 4/4/2021 at 6:25 PM, kinzyjr said:

Looks like Carpoxylon

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I definitely would like one (or some) of these in my yard!! This is a supposedly the most cold/cool tolerant species of this genus so maybe...

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Here is my baby.  Planted 6 months ago one gallon size from FB on Big Island

20201031_102359.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

On 4/6/2021 at 9:38 PM, WaianaeCrider said:

Here is my baby.  Planted 6 months ago one gallon size from FB on Big Island

20201031_102359.jpg

That was at  November 1st.  Here it is today 5 months later.

20210409_180213.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

Hi,

went to action today and put the first three little babies in the ground. (sprouted last August)

x5.thumb.jpg.49c5a6e9e25d5c46f5ddd3cbba146fd2.jpg

x6.thumb.jpg.9670f58e697dd1ab27b65347f20bc8bc.jpg

x7.thumb.jpg.f59f7a2c8c2fdc22349e7673b38c55f4.jpg

Spot is under a shade cloth and wind protected, let's see how they will look in fall - update will

follow. 

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Clinostigma are notoriously cold sensitive and hate my alkaline soil but I got this savoryanum from Floribunda, planted it in the jungle on the south side of the house and mulch it heavily. It's survived 2+ years. This is such a beautiful genus.

Clinostigma savoryanum, Cape Coral, FL, 2021

392618598_Clinostigmasavoryanum0304-06-21.thumb.JPG.288f8e5dce5e5edc7c748c8f75b45cb4.JPG768269885_Clinostigmasavoryanum0204-06-21.thumb.JPG.c252dbf44e6e6c1cf9f1ae047a4304f7.JPG48976863_Clinostigmasavoryanum0404-06-21.thumb.JPG.cc3ff1132b8237ee6ecfa69ac4f6fed2.JPG1094251627_Clinostigmasavoryanum04-06-21.thumb.JPG.65ce3ad554b22484123442df0c0919a4.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 1 year later...
On 4/9/2021 at 6:15 PM, WaianaeCrider said:

That was at  November 1st.  Here it is today 5 months later.

20210409_180213.jpg

Update.   It somehow rotted out below the surface and died.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

7 hours ago, WaianaeCrider said:

Too bad!

I would say - give it another try, It should be worth it!

I will check my babies tomorrow - at the moment it is right after midnight over here.

regards

Lars

Short update -

I lost one or two but have planted out another one in the meantime...

csa01.thumb.jpg.80bf153260ad3976ae6acdeda0a414fb.jpg

...and number two:

csa02.thumb.jpg.20486ad970ebd096a5681fcba6586d36.jpg

So, I would say that a certain (more developed) stage when planting out increases their chance to grow successfully. (at least under our conditions)

Lars

On 1/8/2023 at 2:50 AM, WaianaeCrider said:

I cannot grow these for whatever reason. I’ve killed 2 from different growers. On my 3rd and final now and it’s super slow. Not even close to the speed others have claimed. 

Im not gonna murder it, but if I see a decline I’ll be done with the genus. 

-dale 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Billeb said:

No puedo cultivar estos por cualquier razón. He matado a 2 de diferentes cultivadores. En mi tercero y último ahora y es súper lento. Ni siquiera cerca de la velocidad que otros han reclamado. 

No lo mataré, pero si veo una disminución, terminaré con el género. 

-valle 

Miembros del foro en carlsbad o vista los han cultivado con temperaturas más marcadas que las tuyas que son más templadas ,cuál crees que ha sido el problema ?

3 hours ago, Billeb said:

I cannot grow these for whatever reason. I’ve killed 2 from different growers. On my 3rd and final now and it’s super slow. Not even close to the speed others have claimed. 

Im not gonna murder it, but if I see a decline I’ll be done with the genus. 

-dale 

Dale, 

I think location will be key. I am inland not coastal so I can only comment on what I’ve seen in my yard. I’ve found it wants heat. In summer will push spears close to 1” a day and is a solid medium growth palm here due to our high heat. It is a palm that will slowly grow in winter but at a snails pace until May where it starts to wake up. I had 2 in my old yard that were trouble free. I have 4 that I will plant this year at the new place just waiting to see how it plays out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, James B said:

Dale, 

I think location will be key. I am inland not coastal so I can only comment on what I’ve seen in my yard. I’ve found it wants heat. In summer will push spears close to 1” a day and is a solid medium growth palm here due to our high heat. It is a palm that will slowly grow in winter but at a snails pace until May where it starts to wake up. I had 2 in my old yard that were trouble free. I have 4 that I will plant this year at the new place just waiting to see how it plays out. 

Thanks James. I can probably plant it next to my house facing West but it will get blasted by the sun. That was my concern. Maybe the heat from the house will help it. Like I said….this is the last go at it. “If it dies….it dies.” 

-dale 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Billeb said:

Thanks James. I can probably plant it next to my house facing West but it will get blasted by the sun. That was my concern. Maybe the heat from the house will help it. Like I said….this is the last go at it. “If it dies….it dies.” 

-dale 

Is there a spot where it’s under canopy of large palms like Archontophoenix where it gets some protection from the sun but will see filtered sun in the mid day and afternoon?

This is what I did in my old yard. It had some protection as well from the block wall on the west side of my yard(over time it would continue to grow above the wall more and more but still have the direct overhead protection due to canopy palms.

Dale,

You should be alright. where you're at with the sun. The one you've seen at my house does well, grows steadily. The corner where it's at faces south and west. While the house shaded it from afternoon sun when it was young it is now creeping up over the fence line and gets more sun. a few more feet taller and will get just about full day sun. If you start to notice it burn in the summer you can put up a temp shade cloth structure over it till it acclimates. Im sure it'll like the warmth on the west side of your place. Here are a couple of pics of mine as it's getting along. 

IMG_3506.thumb.jpeg.ff63c3154111309ec7265067f9971164.jpeg

IMG_3507.thumb.jpeg.c97194b666167cd573c9879e1ae79bcb.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, James B said:

Is there a spot where it’s under canopy of large palms like Archontophoenix where it gets some protection from the sun but will see filtered sun in the mid day and afternoon?

This is what I did in my old yard. It had some protection as well from the block wall on the west side of my yard(over time it would continue to grow above the wall more and more but still have the direct overhead protection due to canopy palms.

Not really to be honest. Both my front and backyards were dirt less than 2yrs ago so neither are showing the type of maturity needed to hide anything under canopy. The places that do have more mature trees that provide any type of cover have been littered with other plants / trees that require similar protection as the Clinostigma. 

I think I’m going to dig a couple of my planters bigger this spring so maybe then I can find an ideal location for this thing. 

2 hours ago, -2 brian said:

Dale,

You should be alright. where you're at with the sun. The one you've seen at my house does well, grows steadily. The corner where it's at faces south and west. …… If you start to notice it burn in the summer you can put up a temp shade cloth structure over it till it acclimates. Im sure it'll like the warmth on the west side of your place.

Totally. Yours seems to be in a perfect spot. It’s grown a lot since the first time I saw it in late 2020 or early 2021 sometime if I was to guess. I’d like to put it next to the house to see what happens. 

-dale 

1 hour ago, Billeb said:

Not really to be honest. Both my front and backyards were dirt less than 2yrs ago so neither are showing the type of maturity needed to hide anything under canopy. The places that do have more mature trees that provide any type of cover have been littered with other plants / trees that require similar protection as the Clinostigma. 

I think I’m going to dig a couple of my planters bigger this spring so maybe then I can find an ideal location for this thing. 

Totally. Yours seems to be in a perfect spot. It’s grown a lot since the first time I saw it in late 2020 or early 2021 sometime if I was to guess. I’d like to put it next to the house to see what happens. 

-dale 

Dale, chuck it in as much sun as possible if you have a chance to do so! I’m 5 miles inland and mine never showed any sign of sunburn despite being planted out as a 5 gallon in full, all day sun without any nearby canopy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, -2 brian said:

Dale,

You should be alright. where you're at with the sun. The one you've seen at my house does well, grows steadily. The corner where it's at faces south and west. While the house shaded it from afternoon sun when it was young it is now creeping up over the fence line and gets more sun. a few more feet taller and will get just about full day sun. If you start to notice it burn in the summer you can put up a temp shade cloth structure over it till it acclimates. Im sure it'll like the warmth on the west side of your place. Here are a couple of pics of mine as it's getting along. 

IMG_3506.thumb.jpeg.ff63c3154111309ec7265067f9971164.jpeg

IMG_3507.thumb.jpeg.c97194b666167cd573c9879e1ae79bcb.jpeg

Nice to yours doing well Brian, looks great!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob123 said:

Dale, chuck it in as much sun as possible if you have a chance to do so! I’m 5 miles inland and mine never showed any sign of sunburn despite being planted out as a 5 gallon in full, all day sun without any nearby canopy. 

Wow! Good news. Maybe that’s due to the size?!?! Mine is still a large 1G but I’ll do it anyway. 🤙

-dale