Palmlover_78

Ask the experts :)

Palmlover_78

Hey Gang :), I have Windmill Palm seeds that have sprouted, and are doing good. Half of them haven't , and 5 of them have already starting to rot. Despite my efforts I think it might be time to throw the seeds out in the compost :(, The photos are the seeds that haven't even begun to germinate and the other one obviously have :P, They ones that haven't germinated still are hard as rocks and sink like stones when put in water...are they dead or what? I started them around mid January..

Thanks a lot :D

duds.JPG

yay.JPG

EastCanadaTropicals

I think they are unviable seeds.

Palmlover_78
2 hours ago, EastCanadaTropicals said:

I think they are unviable seeds.

Yeah...I'm thinking along those lines too.....:bummed:

Jtee

I started some windmill seeds in February and no luck yet on any of them.

Palmlover_78
8 minutes ago, Jtee said:

I started some windmill seeds in February and no luck yet on any of them.

mine didn't start putting out roots until about early March, you have a few weeks yet :P

PalmatierMeg

I don't know about Trachies but most palms can take months to germinate - many months. Here in FL Sabal seeds potted in November don't start coming up for 5-6 months or more in full blast summer. If seeds are heavy enough to sink they might still be viable. Two or three months is nothing, so hold your horses. Give them up to a year, maybe more. Palms are not marigolds and germinate on their schedules, not yours.

• Like 1

aegean

Windmill palms are growing all over my property from seeds (must be more than hundred) My experience is that they grow like weed and almost every seed i throw somewhere on the ground develops into a little palm tree.  I always cut the flower stalks early now, because I don't need any more seeds and it looks cleaner without. It also makes it easier to spray the crowns, which I need to do to protect them from the palm moth and the red palm weevil :rant:.

Jtee
8 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I don't know about Trachies but most palms can take months to germinate - many months. Here in FL Sabal seeds potted in November don't start coming up for 5-6 months or more in full blast summer. If seeds are heavy enough to sink they might still be viable. Two or three months is nothing, so hold your horses. Give them up to a year, maybe more. Palms are not marigolds and germinate on their schedules, not yours.

I bought some Sabal palmetto seeds off of Ebay. They came from Malta. I swear these things sprouted in maybe 3 weeks. 

• Like 2

PricklyPearSATC
5 minutes ago, Jtee said:

I bought some Sabal palmetto seeds off of Ebay. They came from Malta. I swear these things sprouted in maybe 3 weeks. 

Sabal Mexican around here form colonies. 

Screenshot_2021-04-04 26°33'33 0 N 82°05'59 0 W(5).png

Palmlover_78
13 hours ago, Jtee said:

Edited by Palmlover_78

Palmlover_78
21 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Well Then....:P, I've have Christmas Palms that germinated in a month and a half in October and the smaller ones are already on a fourth Frond...

Edited by Palmlover_78

PricklyPearSATC
On 4/4/2021 at 1:15 AM, Jtee said:

LOL...They came form Malta!!!  :D
Whatever works!! 

Brandon James

Hey everyone, I have found some new pods emerging from the trunk near the crown, curious if I should let them grow if the are seeds or not bother and if they are flowers let them be? I wasn’t sure what one was and picked at it, and it was a cream colored pod, so I left it alone and today discovered a second one that’s much bigger under another frond. It appears to have some cold damage at the beginning of the tip. I also thought I found some mold on the other side so I treated with a light amount of neem oil mixed with a gallon of water and poured over the tree

41553907-D452-417A-946E-9BACF509375E.jpeg

1F881F5A-DA93-4A91-9BB2-25F61EBFC355.jpeg

3FDD1F21-0174-42AC-BAC2-8FBEDF6DEFE1.jpeg