IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

7B-8A Chammy cerifera

WSimpson

I say 7B-8A  zone because even though my 30 year average lowest winter  lows average a little  above 12F , I still get enough 7B winters to where I feel like  7B-8A is more indicative of my area  than saying 8A .  Officially I'm 7B . 

This has been in the ground for 7 years and I'm pretty pleased with it . It's to the right of the Agave (  I think that Agave  is going to flower one of these years soon   ) . 

IMG_0027.thumb.JPG.8a73dffaf16f595d89833d4193c59da7.JPG

Cerifera all by itself .

IMG_0026.thumb.JPG.234b01ad1b3a3114121abb0555efb9ac.JPG

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 6

I think it was planted from a 3 gallon pot , so pretty small . 

I found an old picture of it  in March of 2012 . It's near the gas lines against the house barely visible . Look over the Opuntia cactus below the gas line ( pipes ) . I guess it's more like 9 years in the ground , not 7 years . It might have been in a 2 gallon pot as small as it looks in the picture .

The Agave is there so it's to the left of the Agave in the picture  , and  closer to the house , and hardly visible  .

Will

IMG_0028.thumb.JPG.7de0a078f1670721de71df02a5c98329.JPG

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 2

Do you have to protect it in the winter or is it on its own...looks a lot like my Chamaerops only way more delicate...my Medi has been in ground since 2017 and I’m going to let it be in the winter from now on unless we get in the teens...Anyway, that’s a beautiful palm. Did I see a trunk on it?

image.thumb.jpg.503391044ee7b2b6c9b4263b76d3cc54.jpg

Kind of stupid of me...of course it’s a Chamaerops...mine is humilis...yours is cerifera...it looks like the cerifera are more finely segmented or is it based on coloration?

They seem to have thinner leaflets . Others on this board would be better at morphology questions  and on hardiness . Maybe they are slower growers than regular humilus  too . 

Mine doesn't need protection most winters but I've  thrown some  blankets over it when I had a 4F winter and a 5F winter  a while back   . They are typically hardy to 12F , I believe , but mine is in a great microclimate on the south side of the house  , with the eave of the house hanging over it keeping ice and general winter moisture away from it  , and there's no wind there . 

It has a largish  trunk and then others that are smaller .

I would be a lot more cautious if it weren't in that kind of microclimate and out in the open  . 

Thanks ,

Will

Edited by Will Simpson

I love good, hardy palms like that...really happy we can grow them with selective protection...I’ve been much too protective of mine but my Trachy outgrew that and given our mild winters these last few years, didn’t need protection anyway. Your agaves are beautiful and I want to try one or two here...really cool additions to the cold hardy palms...will have a couple in ground this summer!

On 4/3/2021 at 4:05 AM, Will Simpson said:

I think it was planted from a 3 gallon pot , so pretty small . 

I found an old picture of it  in March of 2012 . It's near the gas lines against the house barely visible . Look over the Opuntia cactus below the gas line ( pipes ) . I guess it's more like 9 years in the ground , not 7 years . It might have been in a 2 gallon pot as small as it looks in the picture .

The Agave is there so it's to the left of the Agave in the picture  , and  closer to the house , and hardly visible  .

Will

IMG_0028.thumb.JPG.7de0a078f1670721de71df02a5c98329.JPG

What about that fantastic columnar cactus? was it planted in the ground and is it still alive? Cereus peruvianus ?

In terms of C. humilis cerifera I made the experience that they are a little bit more sensitive to moisture than the green variant when it gets really cold. Several times after a cold winter I could pull the spear.  Although the plant recovered always, it started with small fronds and it took some time till it grew normal sized fronds again. I protect it now from rain and snow in the winter months with a simple shelter.  No more spear pulls since then. Even after the coldest winter since 30 years in 2017.

IMG_20210404_070910.jpg

• Like 2

That is a Cereus cactus , and looks like a peruvianus . It grew outside for three winters with light protection needed for a couple of those winters , and then one cold night during the 4th winter in the ground  the protection wasn't plugged in and that zapped it . I could've easily cut a foot long section from it and rooted that and then planted that back outside after that one died ,  but I couldn't find a source for it , and I kind of forgot about it . I originally got it  from a retail plant store called House of Plants here in town , and when I went back to take another cutting off of the big one they had in a huge pot inside their greenhouse  , they said it was given away to something . Sad . 

Good luck with your Chammy .

Will

Edited by Will Simpson