Prinpalms

PALMS IN GUYANA

Prinpalms

OKAY, THESE PHOTOS ARE FROM A RECENT (GOT BACK YESTERDAY NIGHT!) TRIP TO GUYANA. I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO GO TO THIS LARGE (SAME SIZE AS Great Britain) ENGLISH-SPEAKING South American NATION, THE FORMER British Guiana. THE PHOTOS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES. A BIFID SMALL-MIDSIZED BACTRIS (?SP?, A SOCRATEA, A GRACEFUL GEONOMA, A SMALL MAURITIA FLEXUOSA (ABUNDANT NATIONWIDE IN WET SETTINGS), A FOREST ASTROCARYUM, EUTERPE EDULIS THE ASSAI (THINK HEALTHY DRINKS & HEARTS OF PALM) ALSO ABUNDANT, ATTALEAS, AND MORE. THE HELICONIA IS FOR COLOR. THE ROAD LEADS TO THE DRIER RUPUNUNI SAVANNA. MORE TO COME. I HOPE THESE PIX ARE ENJOYED!

IMG_2591.jpeg

IMG_2596.jpeg

IMG_2598.jpeg

IMG_2601.jpeg

IMG_2609.jpeg

IMG_2632.jpeg

IMG_2627.jpeg

IMG_2664.jpeg

IMG_2686.jpeg

IMG_2696.jpeg

IMG_2668.jpeg

IMG_2656.jpeg

IMG_2643.jpeg

IMG_2647.jpeg

IMG_2656.jpeg

IMG_2670.jpeg

IMG_2686.jpeg

IMG_2741.jpeg

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Mandrew968
      By Mandrew968
      Been seeing what I believe to be Euterpe oleracea at a resort in Arenal. From what I have read, this is not a native...

• Cindy Adair
      By Cindy Adair
      My clustering Euterpe oleracea was on the farm when I bought it and the fruits are way too high for me to reach.

However some had freshly fallen so I grabbed them and decided to let them soak in water in the fridge. This was three days ago and only six fruits have turned the couple of tablespoons of water dark red already. 

I saw photos online of processing, but don't happen to own one of those fancy machines.
      From a brief survey it seems miraculous health claims from this fruit have at least been controversial.
      The seeds germinate quickly on the ground as well.
      Today I went to take a photo of the tree and realized that I have two!

I recently cleared some new areas and lo and behold saw the second Euterpe cluster in this photo framed by one of my Peach palms (Bactris gasipaes on the right) and my largest PR hat palm (Sabal causiarum the left). There is the tip of a coconut frond on the bottom right in the same photo.
      When I looked through the camera viewfinder I had to walk to the area, even with rain threatening, to see if I was correct or just seeing a new angle of the Euterpe I knew existed. Still finding surprises after 1.5 years here!
      I have at least two small solitary Euterpe edulis trees, but not ready to fruit yet.
      Who grows this genus and/or knows anything more about assai fruit processing/uses? My first information about this supposed "cure all" came from colorful posters in a hospital staff and visitor cafeteria in VA year ago.

• doranakandawatta
      By doranakandawatta
      Last august in Peradeniya.

I wonder if the crownshaft's color change with the season...
    • Grasswing
      By Grasswing
      Hello everybody,
      I would like to ask you if you someone have experience with growing Euterpe. What temperatures and air conditions it needs to have fruit? And how old palm starts having fruit? Here in Czech Republic are some corporations which sell those seeds and I want to know something more.
      Thanks for replies!