IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Best slow release fertilizer?

Sabal King

Osmocote outdoor or some people use Nutricote are the most fully slow/controlled release.  These are used more in pots.   Palmgain I believe has some slow release qualities but it closer to a normal fertilizer in that sense and is what I use more of in ground.  

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

4 minutes ago, Allen said:

Osmocote outdoor or some people use Nutricote are the most fully slow/controlled release.  These are used more in pots.   Palmgain I believe has some slow release qualities but it closer to a normal fertilizer in that sense and is what I use more of in ground.  

Thanks!  I should have specified this was for in-ground palms.  Appreciate the feedback!

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

I use Site One which used to be John Deere Landscapes and before that Lesco . Here are a few types of palm fertilizers they have that have those important micronutrients . I'm sure there are Site Ones all over Texas . The only problem is that it might be a wholesale operation and you need a landscaping business license . I would just say you are in the business and be ready to BS about the subject  if they bring it up .

Check for a location near you and they will ship it there for your pickup .

Will

https://www.siteone.com/en/search/?searchtype=product&text=tropical+fertilizer

Edited by Will Simpson

I use whatever I can find locally which is usually Espoma organic palm tone for palm and hibiscus food. 4-1-5. Good for 3 months.  Also has Bio tone microbes.

Also use Miracle grow all purpose plant food. 24-8-16 powerfull stuff but not organic or slow release. 

Edited by Paradise Found

I use miracle grow palm tree frood.  Is it the best, I don't know that but that's what I have access to.

20210402_144532.jpg

20210402_144601.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 3:48 PM, Reyes Vargas said:

I use miracle grow palm tree frood.  Is it the best, I don't know that but that's what I have access to.

20210402_144532.jpg

20210402_144601.jpg

I'm in Raleigh NC and I use this same stuff. No complaints so far. 

• Like 1

I do not very often use granulated fertilizer. I rarely use my city water, I collect rain water. Therefore I use a professional water soluble fertilizer ever time I water. The bagged granulated stuff I buy when it’s a broken bag or on clearance. It just doesn’t last in our heat and only apply it when we have a flash flood forecast. So that know it’s going to go to use.

my soil is slowly loosing nutrients, so I do throw down micronutrients. I am behind on getting several bags of sul-po-mag. But again, it actually needs to rain good to get into my heavy clay.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Does anyone know if the spike fertilizers are any good?  I would like to buy them since they do seem better in that they can't wash away.  Are there advantages and disadvantages in using them?  Thanks.