IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

4:00 p.m.

Manalto

Four o'clock (Mirabilis jalapa) is supposed to be an old fashioned Southern plant but not only have I never seen it growing in Alabama, I haven't had much success trying to grow it myself when sown directly in the ground. Once again, I'm giving it a shot. I've started some 'Salmon Sunset' in flats to transplant.  I've also purchased seeds for a white form, which I will grow in a different area.  I like its fragrance at night.

What has your experience with this plant been?   Have you found it to be invasive?

51 minutes ago, Manalto said:

Four o'clock (Mirabilis jalapa) is supposed to be an old fashioned Southern plant but not only have I never seen it growing in Alabama, I haven't had much success trying to grow it myself when sown directly in the ground. Once again, I'm giving it a shot. I've started some 'Salmon Sunset' in flats to transplant.  I've also purchased seeds for a white form, which I will grow in a different area.  I like its fragrance at night.

What has your experience with this plant been?   Have you found it to be invasive?

Easy... Very easy, and flower quickly after germinating also..  Only issue i had is they aren't fond of low desert heat -in pots- ( mine rotted by mid- June )  If i had a shadier spot that stayed moister, they'd likely do fine in the ground.  In California, they can get a bit aggressive but are easily removed ( have to take out the tubers. simply topping does nothing ) Have heard of people using them as a green, " chop 'n drop " crop in the garden.

A testament to how tough these things are,  would find them growing/ flowering from cracks in the alley / parking lot behind a bar i used to work at when i lived in N.E. Kansas.. 

The Salmon Orange cultivar looks exactly as it is advertised and is quite fragrant. 
DSC08083.thumb.JPG.d832aa768e3331c622565271245d6683.JPG

DSC08149.thumb.JPG.0acd829a604ef8aab920cefa88f57d45.JPG

2 other sp. you might look into: S. / S.E. AZ native Mirabilis longiflora. Just as easy as M. jalapa but white flowers are a touch longer/ wider with a long pinkish purple stigma/ throat .. Fragrance a touch more Jasmine -like, but plenty citrus-y. 
Not sure how it will handle more humidity but Colorado  4 - o' - Clock ( Mirabilis multiflora ) is super tough and can thrive on no extra water once established. Grows as far north as Montana so cold isn't a concern. Flowers are typically Magenta / Violet, and a bit wider in size. Not sure if they're fragrant though. Mine are starting year # 2 from seed.. Have heard they take 2-3 years to flower from seed. Unlike both M. jalapa and longiflora,  these survived life in a pot thru our summer heat.

The blotchy- flowered forms of M. jalapa, and a couple other native sp. are next on my list to try later.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Good to know. I was frustrated by my lack of success in Alabama because I had grown the broken-color form without a problem in central Connecticut and they came back for years, presumably from dropped seed.

Thank you for the tip on Mirabilis multiflora.  I've ordered some seed. Fragrance in the evening garden is better mood therapy than any psychiatrist could achieve. Reports show it growing  successfully in central Florida and central Georgia so the heat and humidity of the north Gulf Coast should not be a problem.

Angel_s-Trumpets_1024x1024.jpeg.3f899344105ffaf19c0b4e92ad11564c.jpeg

Edited by Manalto
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

There are purple ones that are naturalized here. 
It's so hot there that they open too late.  They need a decent amount of water. 

High Country Gardens offers one of the native varieties:

https://www.highcountrygardens.com/perennial-plants/unique-plants/mirablis-multiflora

Edited by PricklyPearSATC
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

There are purple ones that are naturalized here. 
It's so hot there that they open too late.  They need a decent amount of water. 

High Country Gardens offers one of the native varieties:

https://www.highcountrygardens.com/perennial-plants/unique-plants/mirablis-multiflora

Central / west TX also has these as well.. Only species in the Genus, and apparently quite common around San Antonio ( Inat observation data ).  Wish i could find anyone offering seeds.
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/165749-Nyctaginia-capitata

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Central / west TX also has these as well.. Only species in the Genus, and apparently quite common around San Antonio ( Inat observation data ).  Wish i could find anyone offering seeds.

Scarlet musk flower! 
I see them out in the wild.  They are not very common.
I think they're hard to germinate from seed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

I think my husband saw one when he was riding his bike and he told me about it..LOL...
He rides 8 miles on the trails and it just popped out at him.  I found it a few days later when I went to the same spot.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

I just saw their San Antonio pins on the map.  Almost all are in parks. 

4 minutes ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

I think my husband saw one when he was riding his bike and he told me about it..LOL...
He rides 8 miles on the trails and it just popped out at him.  I found it a few days later when I went to the same spot.

From what i've read, seems these can be started from cuttings ( mentioned over on Dave's garden, ..kind of skeptical about that myself. ) and, from the kind of places it prefers, sounds like the seed has to be scratched before it will germinate ( Like Bluebonnets, Devil's Claw, Morning Glories )

Interesting plant, especially if quite drought tolerant. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

As is often the case in gardens, there is good news and bad. The 'Salmon Sunset' has begun to bloom.

20210609_190427.thumb.jpg.c5b6e0af87622eeaada5d3c702549af7.jpg

I'm happy to report that the fragrance is fine, strong, and not at all fishy.

However, it appears some insects (or gastropods) have developed an appetite for these plants.

20210611_065105.thumb.jpg.c37c6086193663581c5380da8bc391d6.jpg

Do you know what's causing the damage? Recommendations?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manalto said:

As is often the case in gardens, there is good news and bad. The 'Salmon Sunset' has begun to bloom.

20210609_190427.thumb.jpg.c5b6e0af87622eeaada5d3c702549af7.jpg

I'm happy to report that the fragrance is fine, strong, and not at all fishy.

However, it appears some insects (or gastropods) have developed an appetite for these plants.

20210611_065105.thumb.jpg.c37c6086193663581c5380da8bc391d6.jpg

Do you know what's causing the damage? Recommendations?

Looks good.. As far as what's eating the leaves?.. To me, this could either be snail / slug damage, if either are very common there. There are also at least a couple different Caterpillars that will munch on them. Caterpillars / Leaf Miners?.. you could apply something like BT. Can use Spinosad but be careful w/ it where there is a lot of bee activity.  You'll notice frass scattered on the plant if Caterpillars are what is dining on them ( the plants )

Snails / Slugs?.. A small plastic container ( IE: an 8oz size container that spreadable butter / Sour Cream comes in ) and pour a couple ounces of Beer in it ( just deep enough that they'll drown in it, no need to fill it completely. Used to add a little salt in the mixture when i'd bait for them in CA. ) Safest way to keep them in check, and even if only a minor issue there in Alabama, you'll be surprised how many show up.. Just remember to check the " trap "/ toss the dead critters so often.. Stinks as everything starts to " ferment ":sick:

Grasshoppers/ Katydids also sometimes dine on Nyctags ( plants in the Four O' Clock family ) but can a bit harder to control.