IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Question re: Heliconia indica Rubra coloration

Missi

Can someone answer me this. My Heliconia indica 'Rubra' had neon pink striped leaves when it came from Hawaii (Novelty Greens), but all the growth it got here in Florida was plain green.  I kept it potted, watered with only rain water. Why would that be? I want the neon pink leaves, darnit! lol Also, I see this plant referred to Heliconia spectabilis as well. Why is that?

First two pics are of my specimen. Third pic is of grower's plant.

hir.jpg

hir2.jpg

nghir.jpg

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

That's a really good question.  Maybe they age to red?  It looks like the new leaves are lime green and age to medium green.  I'll have to look into this species, that's really cool! 

If you want a no-fuss red/green leaf, you could look at Musa "Bordelon."  It has solid burgundy red undersides and deep green topsides on the leaves.  It's a smallish grower with 3" diameter trunks and about 12' tall maximum.  I have several clumps around my yard, they are easy to manage and grow kind of similar to Heliconia in a relatively small diameter cluster.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

That's a really good question.  Maybe they age to red?  It looks like the new leaves are lime green and age to medium green.  I'll have to look into this species, that's really cool! 

If you want a no-fuss red/green leaf, you could look at Musa "Bordelon."  It has solid burgundy red undersides and deep green topsides on the leaves.  It's a smallish grower with 3" diameter trunks and about 12' tall maximum.  I have several clumps around my yard, they are easy to manage and grow kind of similar to Heliconia in a relatively small diameter cluster.

Agree w/ Mer,  leaves may age red as they mature.. Kind of the reverse of how new leaves on say Chambeyronia, or a Brazilian Tree Fern go from red/orange to green as they age.. Anyway, would be weird if they stayed green later. Can't think of a reason of the top of my head they'd act dramatically different there vs. in Hawaii... aside from perhaps placing it in more light might help the coloration intensify more? Hrmm..

As for seeing it listed as two different sp. H. spectabalis appears to be  a cultivar name of the species ( H. indica )  Here's a tidbit from the Heliconia Society on it:
https://www.heliconiasocietypr.org/spectabilis.html

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 11:57 AM, Merlyn said:

I'm not sure, because this plant pushed several more leaves after the picture was taken and they all stayed green. I let it get too dry over winter so now it's dormant. Wish I wouldn't have done that so I could observe its more mature growth this coming growing season.

That Musa 'Bordelon' is a beauty! I'm always looking for no-fuss unusual-looking plants (at least, unusual for my area...haven't seen anyone with this in their yard). I'm going to try a few in my front yard where I need some privacy from the street. Thanks for the recommendation :greenthumb: 

On 4/1/2021 at 12:25 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Agree w/ Mer,  leaves may age red as they mature.. Kind of the reverse of how new leaves on say Chambeyronia, or a Brazilian Tree Fern go from red/orange to green as they age.. Anyway, would be weird if they stayed green later. Can't think of a reason of the top of my head they'd act dramatically different there vs. in Hawaii... aside from perhaps placing it in more light might help the coloration intensify more? Hrmm..

As for seeing it listed as two different sp. H. spectabalis appears to be  a cultivar name of the species ( H. indica )  Here's a tidbit from the Heliconia Society on it:
https://www.heliconiasocietypr.org/spectabilis.html

Please see above, my reply to Merlyn. The leaves indeed stayed green :crying: I did keep is in bright, but indirect light. I'm going to try it in full morning sun this year.

Thanks for the link, I'm going to check it out now.

Hey Missi!

I just received a rhizome of a Heliconia and I believe it to be the same as yours. Did you buy it as a rhizome to start out or did it come as a full plant ?

I’ve currently got it potted up in a well draining mix of peat, orchid bark, sand and organic soil.  I can’t really find any information on how best to grow it and it didn’t come with any instructions or suggestions so I was hoping I could get some advice from you

I ordered mine from BKinterplants 

https://www.bkinterplants.com/index.php/musa-heliconia/heliconia/plumeria-bali-whista-224.html

thanks in advance !

There used to be a large cluster of this Heliconia growing in the Rare Plant House at Fairchild Gardens. It was always one of the main showy plants that everyone had to visit and walk past. When it grew too large, they removed it and made divisions. One of the divisions made it into one of the famous Rare Event auctions where it sold for a nice sum.

Ryan

• Like 1

South Florida

On 4/9/2021 at 12:10 PM, Palmarum said:

There used to be a large cluster of this Heliconia growing in the Rare Plant House at Fairchild Gardens. It was always one of the main showy plants that everyone had to visit and walk past. When it grew too large, they removed it and made divisions. One of the divisions made it into one of the famous Rare Event auctions where it sold for a nice sum.

Ryan

Oh darn! I don't recall seeing it in any of my recent visits. Too bad they didn't keep a smaller offshoot in there.

• 1 month later...