Dartolution

Heliconia Thread

Merlyn
On 7/27/2021 at 4:23 PM, Dartolution said:

@Merlyn 2-4 months from Rhizome!?!?!?! what are you feeding them??? Mine have always taken the majority of the growing season! I need to know your secret!

You're probably spot on with the hybrid estimate of Tropic. Im honestly not entirely sure. 

Sassy seems more resilient than say - choconiana for instance. I would not consider them "cold hardy" just rather slightly more resistant to root rot from what I've seen, and mine bloomed indoors last year. 

If I had the room I would get some of the bahai and caribaea cultivars. 

Hah!  I mean just the Psittacorum types.  I ripped (literally grabbed by the rhizome and yanked them out) a whole bunch of Lady Di out of the ground in early May and just stuck them in the dirt in a new raised bed in the front yard.  They get full sun and have a dripline sprayer-on-a-stick to cover the whole area each morning.  Many of them were blooming in June, and most of them are blooming now:

2057713520_P1080558HeliconiaLadyDi.thumb.JPG.fd32b60268705f2d8cae396e53433bae.JPG

The perimeter blocks are 2 high all the way around.  I'm hoping that this will deter the rhizomes from invading the grass and the bed to the left.  One high blocks were mostly useless against Psittacorum...  :blink2:

• Like 1

Dartolution
26 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

Hah!  I mean just the Psittacorum types.  I ripped (literally grabbed by the rhizome and yanked them out) a whole bunch of Lady Di out of the ground in early May and just stuck them in the dirt in a new raised bed in the front yard.  They get full sun and have a dripline sprayer-on-a-stick to cover the whole area each morning.  Many of them were blooming in June, and most of them are blooming now:

2057713520_P1080558HeliconiaLadyDi.thumb.JPG.fd32b60268705f2d8cae396e53433bae.JPG

The perimeter blocks are 2 high all the way around.  I'm hoping that this will deter the rhizomes from invading the grass and the bed to the left.  One high blocks were mostly useless against Psittacorum...  :blink2:

@Merlyn when you say grabbed them and ripped them out, did they have foliage on them, or did you cut them down to a bare rhizome? Maybe thats the difference. Usually I get bare rhizomes and it takes a year to get them to flower from nothing at all. 

Those look great and I would think they wouldn't go that deep. The rhizomes stay more toward the surface, probably right under the mulch as they grow. 

I've got several lady di shoots some are only 6 inches, some are over a foot now, so Im expecting to see them bloom soon hopefully. 

Tropicdoc

Oriole orange…. Took a hurricane to get it to bloom!

1495D9F8-ECEF-4C03-9164-DE552168702F.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2