IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix Rupicola or Reclinata?

Mr.SamuraiSword

I am not so sure what to think here.  I originally thought Rupicola but need some more experienced takes. Taken in St Petersburg Florida.

original.thumb.jpeg.07abc662bc8fe11796f4afd40a24f627.jpeg

• Like 1

I only have reclinada and that's what I would have guessed. The rupicolas I've seen are generally solitary, with really lax leaflets. Nice clump, whatever it is!

• Like 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

those look 40' tall and seem to have somewhat stiff leaves.  Reclinatas have hybridized in the wild so Im not sure that reclinata and the one pictured here: https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Phoenix_reclinata are the same species.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Its a hybrid., definitely has P. reclinata in it but who knows what else. It looks old, maybe P. sylvestris.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

An experienced rupicola grower may mock me for this, but I believe the glossy leaves is a dominant genetic characteristic and so passes on to the offspring despite what the rest of the palm’s characteristics are.

IMO that could be pure reclinata because the trunks and crowns are the proper proportions and the leaves are short. But I would guess most likely it’s not because these are prolific hybridizers and I don’t imagine it doesn’t have something else in it.

Definitely not a pure rupicola.  Reclinatas and Reclinata hybrids are listed as invasive species here in florida.  I recently have seen ~20-30 in the woods behind my house, they spread fast in wet areas.    

Tom Blank

Reclinatas sucker prolifically if there are not a lot of suckers at the bottom that have been trimmed off I would say rupicolas that 3 have been planted together.

• 2 weeks later...

This is single trunk rupicola the base is still trying to sucker it ie neat but constant job of removing suckers 

F23C0CC6-AE60-4B07-8889-867B9129A847.jpeg

388C02C0-F7FA-4C58-9B18-DBDA011CF663.jpeg

Its probably a hybrid with rupicola as rupicolas don't sucker.  I have 3 rupicolas with 3'+/- trunk, not one sucker in 10 years from any of them.  

• Upvote 1

Tom Blank

You need to look at the base if they are pure reclinata they will have suckers or evidence of suckers that have been cut off 

Hello! I’m new to “palming?” and am considering purchasing a Rupicola for my backyard Pool area. Since I’m new at this I don’t want to make a costly mistake and have been trying to educate myself as much as I can and as fast as I can before purchasing what I believe is the right tree for my limited space. I have a shed, a pool and the wall of my house, all of which form about a 15’ to 20’ circumference if you were to put a circle inside that triangle. I am looking at a possible 7ft CT Rupicola. Is that enough space in theory to place this guy?