IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Do you remove the original soil before repotting?

Palmfarmer

When you buy a new palm do you guys usually remove most of the orginal soil in the rootball before putting it in a new container?

1 hour ago, Palmfarmer said:

When you buy a new palm do you guys usually remove most of the orginal soil in the rootball before putting it in a new container?

If it’s from a nursery sometimes I really really want to, but since I pot in a mix of leca/perlite/coco coir I am always nervous about removing 100% of some organic material that it can feed on, so i usually “cheat” and leave what’s inside the root ball there.  But when I repot from that mix to a fresh one I wash the roots completely.  But it also depends on the species.  I can’t even gaze or breath upon the roots of a Bismarckia during a transplant haha

Edited by Philly J

6 hours ago, Philly J said:

If it’s from a nursery sometimes I really really want to, but since I pot in a mix of leca/perlite/coco coir I am always nervous about removing 100% of some organic material that it can feed on, so i usually “cheat” and leave what’s inside the root ball there.  But when I repot from that mix to a fresh one I wash the roots completely.  But it also depends on the species.  I can’t even gaze or breath upon the roots of a Bismarckia during a transplant haha

Yeah Bismarcks you definitly want to not even thouch the damn rootbal. I started removing the orginal soil recently on some species like dypsis, My mix is 1:1 Coco coir and compost + a bit of perlite. how has the wheater been in Regina lately? is it seriously 3b?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

Yeah Bismarcks you definitly want to not even thouch the damn rootbal. I started removing the orginal soil recently on some species like dypsis, My mix is 1:1 Coco coir and compost + a bit of perlite. how has the wheater been in Regina lately? is it seriously 3b?

It is bone chillingly 3b unfortunately.  We really don’t have a spring or autumn.  Our summers are humid and sweltering and our winters..... I grow indoor palms to distract me from Antarctica out my window LOL

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

"do you guys usually remove most of the orginal soil in the rootball before putting it in a new container?"

No, not usually, it is usually better than I would bother to mix up. :P

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

22 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

The temptation to change the soil is great, isn't it? I know ... but most of the time it is better not to. The less root disturbance, the better! You can get some soil if you don't have your roots tight in the pot, but as soon as you get close to them, stop and don't touch them. Over time you will know when to change the soil or not. It's all about experience, always conditioned by your local environmental conditions. Living and learning.

Edited by lzorrito
  • Like 1

Greetings, Luís