IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Damage assessment after Texas freeze - need to find cold hardy palms

CiprianS

23 hours ago, CiprianS said:

What Sabals are these?

Definitely Sabal palmettos.  Pretty common in Houston.  Below is a picture of Sabal mexicana seeds on the top compared with palmetto seeds on the bottom.  Probably 99% of Sabals in Texas are one of these two.  Seed size makes it easy to distinguish one from the other.

5bbe419ee3b3b_Sabalseeds.jpg.30383ce7ba44d302714be3b952dfa378.jpg

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

Here's my observation: Washingtonia x filibusta is the Truth.  -5F with 10 inches of snow. A week below freezing. I have a twenty footer that just went right back at it with new fronds. I've only found one horribly exposed example that kicked the bucket. For tall trunking palms, nothing competes. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

43 minutes ago, joetx said:

CIDP Coming back in Round Rock!

392221B2-82C5-4BC1-810B-D5A21A038F96.jpeg

Austin and suburbs folks should start a separate thread to keep track of what survived. It gets lost among other threads. 

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

6 minutes ago, buffy said:

Here's my observation: Washingtonia x filibusta is the Truth.  -5F with 10 inches of snow. A week below freezing. I have a twenty footer that just went right back at it with new fronds. I've only found one horribly exposed example that kicked the bucket. For tall trunking palms, nothing competes. 

Buffy I suggest you start a thread on your part of NE or East Texas palm recoveries and loss. It gets lost in these threads. 

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Today I was supposed to plant the Canaries but instead of doing that I am staying in bed. I managed to kill my back later on today when I was getting some mulch from HEB in my car’s trunk... :( Hopefully, tomorrow or on Wednesday I will plant them. 

Edited by CiprianS
  • Like 1

Does anyone have some Sabal Mexicana seeds? I don’t want to try my luck again on eBay after I got the wrong seeds the first time. :) 

18 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Buffy I suggest you start a thread on your part of NE or East Texas palm recoveries and loss. It gets lost in these threads. 

Sure. I'll get all three of us to start a real expansive thread. 

• Like 3

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

59 minutes ago, CiprianS said:

Does anyone have some Sabal Mexicana seeds? I don’t want to try my luck again on eBay after I got the wrong seeds the first time. :) 

I may be able to get you some seeds, how many?

On 4/26/2021 at 9:37 PM, CiprianS said:

I did it... I can call myself crazy. I drove to Lowe's San Antonio, the one from 11718 I-35N since the one in New Braunfels did not have any Canaries left. At least this is what I was told when I called the New Braunfels store. With the San Antonio one, first time I was told they don't have any (although their stock at the store that they checked was showing nine in stock) because one person was not finding them, I called again and surprise, one guy managed to find them, at least five of them. I was told that I can be transferred to Customer Service to pay for them by phone and have two set aside for me. Their line did not work to be transferred so I called again, again it did not work. Long short story, I drove three hours to get there, and surprise, two Canaries were put aside exactly next to one of the registers from the Garden Center. I looked at some other ones that they had there, the two that were put aside were the best looking ones. They also had some Filifera there but they had some fungus or something on the leaves, I have also seen some nice big Pindo Palms and also some Mule Palms.

I drove another three hours home, hand washed my car on my driveway to get rid of the proof of the war that I had with all of the flies and bugs from Houston-San Antonio and San Antonio-Houston road and that's it. I can now rest knowing that I accomplished my obsession to get the two Canaries that I kept on searching like crazy for. My wife is saying that I am crazy for doing this... oh well... I might be. :) 

What made me drive to San Antonio and take the day off from work to do this was a $5k Canary that I saw at Moon Valley Nurseries, I guess they also had a 50% off... and I said enough, I have had enough and if I stay more without the Canaries then maybe I will be tempted to pay $1-2k for one and then for sure I will remain single. :D 

Below are the two Canaries that I got, exactly as they were close to the register.

IxFeQmA.jpg

Below is the Canary that I saw at Moon Valley Nurseries which made me drive to San Antonio to get the baby Canaries above. :) 

sIZJ4k5.jpg

Below are the rest of the Palms that I saw at San Antonio Lowe's, I was tempted to get some Filiferas, too but I did not like the fungus from their leaves. Now iI realize that I did not take any photos of their Mule Palms.

mqyyJwk.jpg

RAMbN0P.jpg

HZGE2H1.jpg

qPG9LRx.jpg

lFFIswH.jpg

XUBFrUp.jpg

MI12hbk.jpg

Dma4yAC.jpg

UtvQBPG.jpg

c8Ds6Bk.jpg

PeceHDH.jpg

HqCMzNL.jpg

GRwbI7L.jpg

4T8psPJ.jpg

I checked out a Moon Valley up here in Austin - crazy expensive. Cantu nursery in Round Rock has the same sized trees for 1/4 the price. https://www.cantuimports.com/

59 minutes ago, joetx said:

I checked out a Moon Valley up here in Austin - crazy expensive. Cantu nursery in Round Rock has the same sized trees for 1/4 the price. https://www.cantuimports.com/

Can you give some prices off the top of your head. I just drove past there. What is available is 4/15 gallon as well?

I’m not too good with gallon size, unfortunately. But I saw some 4ft ish  Sylvesters for $800

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, joetx said:

I’m not too good with gallon size, unfortunately. But I saw some 4ft ish  Sylvesters for $800

Are you going back?

4 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

I may be able to get you some seeds, how many?

10-20... If I manage to germinate 2-3 from them that would be great. :)  If I don't try my luck and start knocking at people's doors from my neighborhood where I see Sabal Mexicana. :) 

By the way, I remember that I saw on I10 as I was driving from Houston to San Antonio (on the right side) a nursery where I saw a lot of Sabals. I think it was about 50 miles away from San Antonio, visible from I10 but with no direct access, that is why I did not stop to check it out. Does anyone know what nursery is that one? 

On 5/4/2021 at 8:09 PM, CiprianS said:

By the way, I remember that I saw on I10 as I was driving from Houston to San Antonio (on the right side) a nursery where I saw a lot of Sabals. I think it was about 50 miles away from San Antonio, visible from I10 but with no direct access, that is why I did not stop to check it out. Does anyone know what nursery is that one? 

On north or south side of the highway? 

Think they sell a lot of Koi.

Edited by Collectorpalms

6 hours ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

On north or south side of the highway? 

Driving from Houston to San Antonio, on the right side of I10.

5 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Think they sell a lot of Koi.

Do you know it?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CiprianS said:

Driving from Houston to San Antonio, on the right side of I10.

I think I found it on Google Maps. (It says Harwood, Texas in Gonzales County)

ETA:   Can't Pin on map to work.  Screenshot instead. 

Looks like it is at Intersection of I10 and 283

screenshot_19.png.4666d5ba4b69539c34a7b05790809dc4.png

screenshot_17.png

Edited by PricklyPearSATC

5 minutes ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

I think I found it on Google Maps. (It says Harwood, Texas in Gonzales County)

ETA: Link is going to Junction...LOL

https://goo.gl/maps/YXHetXowfVucCTfK8

Are you talking about Gonzales Wholesale Nursery? If so, it seems pretty far away from I10 as I look on the map, I doubt I have such an eagle's eye.  :)

Edited by CiprianS

4 minutes ago, CiprianS said:

Are you talking about Gonzales Wholesale Nursery? If so, it seems pretty far away from I10 as I look on the map, I doubt I have such an eagle's eye.  :)

I have absolutely no idea.  I got on Google Maps and looked for anything that looked like a tree farm..LOL  Google Maps won't tell me the name of the place! 

screenshot_20.png

8 minutes ago, CiprianS said:

No, it is not Gonzales Wholesale Nursery, which appears to be located several miles south of I10. 

The place I got the screenshot from is on the I-10 access road. 

16 minutes ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

No, it is not Gonzales Wholesale Nursery, which appears to be located several miles south of I10. 

The place I got the screenshot from is on the I-10 access road. 

The photos of that as I am looking at them are matching exactly what I saw. Is it in my range of about 50 miles away from San Antonio? :) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CiprianS said:

The photos of that as I am looking at them are matching exactly what I saw. Is it in my range of about 50 miles away from San Antonio? :) 

A bit further, looks like 65 miles.  
Luling is 58 miles, but have Google maps and will find!! 

Edited by PricklyPearSATC

18 minutes ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

A bit further, looks like 65 miles.  
Luling is 58 miles, but have Google maps and will find!! 

Then that's the one.... I said around 50 miles, not exactly 50. :) How can we find out what nursery is that one and what they are selling there? :)  

• Like 1

Finally I planted yesterday the second Canary after I planted the first one two days ago. :) 

d5RvWw5.jpg

ZIh28vA.jpg

• Like 4

One of my Robusta seems to be out of the woods until now. The other one which grew a little after I trunk cut it stopped growing so I trunk cut it again a little bit. It was green there what I cut... I think the meristem of it is either done, or it is just a little bit of it left. What remained does not have any smell anymore. I will give it another week or maximum two, if there is no sign of growth I will just remove it and plant another one.  The first photo is how it looks after I trunk cut it again and the second and the third is with what I have removed from it.

9ZGs6E5.jpg

abMMgln.jpg

9XPD2uY.jpg

I think you cut out whatever was left which had potential to grow, unfortunately. I have done this before as well.

2 minutes ago, necturus said:

I think you cut out whatever was left which had potential to grow, unfortunately. I have done this before as well.

It has been a few weeks in which I hadn’t seen any growth on it so…that’s it in this case I guess. I will give it one or two more weeks and if nothing moves then it’s time for my shovel, my spade and the two axes to get to work and plant another one after. 

On 5/4/2021 at 2:51 PM, CiprianS said:

I just bought some 1 gallon Sabal mexicana from a nursery in Georgia. $18 each and they ship . I think shipping is around $15. 

2 minutes ago, Jtee said:

I just bought some 1 gallon Sabal mexicana from a nursery in Georgia. $18 each and they ship . I think shipping is around $15. 

Which is that nursery that you are talking about? Although I keep on telling myself that I am done for this year. I still have four Sabals that I need to plant this week. :) 

Edited by CiprianS

54 minutes ago, CiprianS said:

Which is that nursery that you are talking about? Although I keep on telling myself that I am done for this year. I still have four Sabals that I need to plant this week. :) 

The plants they were growing them from posted online do not look like Sabal Mexicana at all. Even botanical gardens like Zilker Gardens and Dallas Arboretum can mark a minor from a Mexicana.

Edited by Collectorpalms

On 5/4/2021 at 8:09 PM, CiprianS said:

Hi Ciprian,

Great meeting you today!  I drove by this tree farm this afternoon but there was no way that I could see to get to it.  There was no feeder road going west from the exit just east of it and I don't think that the feeder road on the next exit past it is a 2-way road.  It appeared to be a private wholesale grower and likely does not sell to the general public unless they sell via Craigslist ads or something like that.  I only noticed one large date palm and several live oak and other hardwood trees but didn't see any Sabals.  Hope you get good germination from the Sabal mexicana seeds!

Jon Sunder

2 hours ago, CiprianS said:

It’s called Nearly Native Nursery. It’s outside the Atlanta area. I actually drove there and talked to the owner and browsed the property. He showed me the big Sabal Mexicana and Sabal Louisiana he has on his property. He collects seed from these and grows them, he has little volunteer plants popping up everywhere there. I’m no expert on palms especially Sabal palms but the guy did have etonia, palmetto(which didn’t look like palmetto) Mexicana, Louisiana and minor. 
627D6AC1-A36B-4839-8C3D-C1E35DA3BB86.thumb.jpeg.b24f65dc46cbf4ca67f34f3c64cab0fd.jpegSabal MexicanaAD1CC9C3-BBF9-4784-A579-AAE6610656F5.thumb.jpeg.35e976f17587c20b80ae81e04de50c59.jpegsabal Loui12CCADBA-27DF-4809-B051-807281E70D63.thumb.jpeg.d82c9a2b1f38d1fb9e3da83194f9c276.jpeg

Edited by Jtee

1 hour ago, Jtee said:

It’s called Nearly Native Nursery. It’s outside the Atlanta area. I actually drove there and talked to the owner and browsed the property. He showed me the big Sabal Mexicana and Sabal Louisiana he has on his property. He collects seed from these and grows them, he has little volunteer plants popping up everywhere there. I’m no expert on palms especially Sabal palms but the guy did have etonia, palmetto(which didn’t look like palmetto) Mexicana, Louisiana and minor. 
627D6AC1-A36B-4839-8C3D-C1E35DA3BB86.thumb.jpeg.b24f65dc46cbf4ca67f34f3c64cab0fd.jpegSabal Mexicanasabal Loui

Is this a Mexicana?   Curious if they set seed at this size. 
Could it be a brazoria?

29 minutes ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

Could it be a brazoria?

Look how flat plane those fronds are. Look

at a Mexicana at that size, albeit after -6. Very recurved.

i have pruned my share of Various Sabals.

9639801A-45A0-41D8-A517-261DB7A7046A.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

Could it be a brazoria?

It very well could be

4 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Look how flat plane those fronds are. Look

at a Mexicana at that size, albeit after -6. Very recurved.

9639801A-45A0-41D8-A517-261DB7A7046A.jpeg

Do you mean palmate versus costapalmate? 

1 minute ago, Jtee said:

It very well could be

I have some minors that look like those but smaller still. Very uncertain where I got them. But I must have tossed seeds to get 4 there. But they came through the freeze without a hint of damage. So they must be minor ecotypes. Honestly. I just don’t like them, but appreciated they are are green.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jtee said:

It very well could be

Trunks on brazorias kinda go every which way....
I have a brazoria with a 6 inch trunk, so that's why I'm wondering if it is a brazoria. 

I do notice on nearly native's site they give the common name for brazoria as texas palmetto and the common name for mexicana as rio grande palmetto.