IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Damage assessment after Texas freeze - need to find cold hardy palms

CiprianS

49 minutes ago, CiprianS said:

Are you talking about the "Three Sisters Nursery" from 8811 Gulf Freeway?

That's the one

1 hour ago, Keys6505 said:

That's the one

Perfect, thank you!

On 4/8/2021 at 8:01 PM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Good call on the S.Riverside the one on the right is about the same size I got from him. In less then 2 years this is what it looks like. 

T J 

Did you acclimatize the palms that you got from Phil or you planted them directly? If so, what did you do with them? Kept them in the shade for a while, etc. 

Before I manage to give Phil a call later on today can someone tell me if the palms that I got from him need to be acclimatized or not? 

2 hours ago, CiprianS said:

Before I manage to give Phil a call later on today can someone tell me if the palms that I got from him need to be acclimatized or not? 

They absolutely have to be acclimatized. 95% of his palms are under shade cloth so I would ease them into the sun. 2 weeks of slowly moving them into more sun should be good. 

T J 

T J 

Right now they are in a full light area but there is not going to be any sun on the sky for today so they will be ok. I have just talked to Phil, I will keep them in an area where I get 2-3 hours of sun in the morning for probably one week or so and see if there is any sun burn appearing on them. If not, I will plant them in the ground soon after.

Change of plans, no more "Three Sisters Nursery" today, I got caught with some work although this was supposed to be my day off. :(  

Now I have another four Sabals that I need to plant soon and the Sago Palm that I got yesterday from Houston Garden Center.

The two Sabal Riverside that I got from from Phil.

pPEw28V.jpg

5G6AiGD.jpg

The Sabal Palmetto that I got from our colleague @Reyes Vargas.

tv1SgKz.jpg

Another Sabal Palmetto that I got from eBay.

YkKOXhO.jpg

The Sago Palm that I got from Houston Garden Center.

gpNtoXT.jpg

Edited by CiprianS
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 4/15/2021 at 8:55 PM, Keys6505 said:

That's the one

I was there today... they did not have Canaries, they had Sylvestris.  And their price is $250 for the 25 gallons ones. Which honestly they looked pretty small as I was looking at them. At least some of them. Actually by looking at them I thought they were Canaries although I was seeing a blueish green color on their leaves. But one guy from there told me they were Sylvestris. And their price I think is what they want to give them to you at, first I was told $280, when I said that it is impossible since they are pretty small, the guy called someone asking and he told me $250.

And actually by looking at them, both were in 25 gallons pots if I am not wrong but some were bigger. Honestly, some of them should have been in 15 gallons pots considering how small they were.

The ones on the right side of the entrance as I was looking at the street.

ew0fZf5.jpg

The ones on the left side of the entrance as I was looking at the street.

Pkt1aUB.jpg

32 minutes ago, CiprianS said:

I was there today... they did not have Canaries, they had Sylvestris.  And their price is $250 for the 25 gallons ones. Which honestly they looked pretty small as I was looking at them. At least some of them. Actually by looking at them I thought they were Canaries although I was seeing a blueish green color on their leaves. But one guy from there told me they were Sylvestris. And their price I think is what they want to give them to you at, first I was told $280, when I said that it is impossible since they are pretty small, the guy called someone asking and he told me $250.

And actually by looking at them, both were in 25 gallons pots if I am not wrong but some were bigger. Honestly, some of them should have been in 15 gallons pots considering how small they were.

The ones on the right side of the entrance as I was looking at the street.

ew0fZf5.jpg

The ones on the left side of the entrance as I was looking at the street.

Pkt1aUB.jpg

They look like Sylvestris, price is high.

the Sabal Riverside you have looks like one I got in the fall from someone on here. I can tell its fronds looks different than palmetto. 

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

1 hour ago, Collectorpalms said:

They look like Sylvestris, price is high.

the Sabal Riverside you have looks like one I got in the fall from someone on here. I can tell its fronds looks different than palmetto. 

That is what they were, Sylvestris. $250 for 25 gallons or smaller ones of 15 gallons at $150. They did not have any Canaries, although if they had, I was told that they will be at the same prices as Sylvestris.

You are talking about the two Sabal Riverside that I got from Phil, right? The other two that I have don’t look alike if I just compare their leafs color although both are supposed to be Sabal Palmettos. Is it just my impression?

On 4/12/2021 at 10:54 AM, Collectorpalms said:

Lowe’s Bastrop has 4 

I wonder if they still have them at Bastrop or as I saw in a different post at Round Rock close to Austin.

Edited by CiprianS

11 minutes ago, CiprianS said:

That is what they were, Sylvestris. $250 for 25 gallons or smaller ones of 15 gallons at $150. They did not have any Canaries, although if they had, I was told that they will be at the same prices as Sylvestris.

You are talking about the two Sabal Riverside that I got from Phil, right? The other two that I have don’t look alike if I just compare their leafs color although both are supposed to be Sabal Palmettos. Is it just my impression?

I wonder if they still have them at Bastrop or as I saw in a different post at Round Rock close to Austin.

I would call store. If you do, Find out if they have any California fans left.

phils riverside look like what I got from someone on here that showed me the parent palm. Doesn’t look like a palmetto. Big floppy fronds.

no idea on hardiness. I didn’t plant it yet.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

6 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

phils riverside look like what I got from someone on here that showed me the parent palm. Doesn’t look like a palmetto. Big floppy fronds.

no idea on hardiness. I didn’t plant it yet.

What about the other two? Do they both look like Sabal Palmetto? Because one is greener than the other one as I look at them.

Are you planning another trip there to get some California?

Edited by CiprianS

I decided to spend money on 2 Sabal palmetto lisa because they don’t look anything like a Sabal and they should be as cold hardy as a palmetto. They look more tropical to me, but hardy to 5*F.

C6FC4A86-2809-4CA0-B752-F7C4DE0A3B71.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2

First picture looks like a Mexicana and second palmetto.

i am tempted to go get a canary and filifera 

Edited by Collectorpalms

On 4/16/2021 at 12:44 PM, CiprianS said:

The Sabal Palmetto that I got from our colleague @Reyes Vargas.

tv1SgKz.jpg

Another Sabal Palmetto that I got from eBay.

YkKOXhO.jpg

27 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

First picture looks like a Mexicana and second palmetto.

i am tempted to go get a canary and filifera 

Look above... these are the ones that I am asking about. I am tempted to go and get two Canaries. :) 

6 minutes ago, CiprianS said:

Look above... these are the ones that I am asking about. I am tempted to go and get two Canaries. :) 

I replied first mexicana, second palmetto. Some times they look different because of growing conditions and light. But I am almost certain they are not the same, unless Vargas knows the seed size was small. Mexicana seeds are easily double size. 

Edited by Collectorpalms

@CiprianS I know that you want a mexicana so bad but the palm I sent you is definitely not a mexicana.  The seeds that I planted were tiny compared to a mexicana seed.  My palm is not as leggy as the other one since I grew mine in full sun.  Wish I had mexicana palms to send you.

24 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

I replied first mexicana, second palmetto. Some times they look different because of growing conditions and light. But I am almost certain they are not the same, unless Vargas knows the seed size was small. Mexicana seeds are easily double size. 

I saw your reply but I just wanted to point directly to the two photos.

7 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

@CiprianS I know that you want a mexicana so bad but the palm I sent you is definitely not a mexicana.  The seeds that I planted were tiny compared to a mexicana seed.  My palm is not as leggy as the other one since I grew mine in full sun.  Wish I had mexicana palms to send you.

:) I still had hopes that maybe you sent me a Mexicana. :D Until now, from the two Mexicana that I took out from the ground, one of them is green and looks ok, the other one looks burned. I still have two or three in pots that might take the place of the burned one. 

Edited by CiprianS

The second one is way too shade grown, and the potting medium and nutrients must be making a difference. Fertilizer or lack of.

why did you want a Mexicana?

i don’t think there are tree very many palmetto in the RGV.

Edited by Collectorpalms

On 3/30/2021 at 11:37 PM, CiprianS said:

QDL2Bnw.jpg

The ones from the sides keep on growing and pushing new spears. Now my question is, after how long will their leaves start dividing in leaflets?

1 minute ago, Collectorpalms said:

The second one is way too shade grown, and the potting medium and nutrients must be making a difference. Fertilizer or lack of.

why did you want a Mexicana?

Since Mexicana grows faster than the Palmetto, that is why I was looking after a Mexicana. 

1 minute ago, CiprianS said:

Since Mexicana grows faster than the Palmetto, that is why I was looking after a Mexicana. 

I only have seedlings. But I know of a mail  order source for some larger ones. 

Edited by Collectorpalms

I only have seedlings. But I know of a mail  order source for some larger ones. 

I know that you have seedlings. Let's talk on the private messages about them and also about your other source. 

1 hour ago, Collectorpalms said:

I have just called the Bastrop Lowe's, they don't have the Canaries anymore. Or, they don't know what they have in stock. I gave them the item number as you have shown it and it was actually showing them a negative inventory. And for the California Fan Palm they could not even find it since I did not have an item number. What I took from Lowe's website (Item #758251) it appeared to them that they don't even carry that one.

2 minutes ago, CiprianS said:

I have just called the Bastrop Lowe's, they don't have the Canaries anymore. Or, they don't know what they have in stock. I gave them the item number as you have shown it and it was actually showing them a negative inventory. And for the California Fan Palm they could not even find it since I did not have an item number. What I took from Lowe's website (Item #758251) it appeared to them that they don't even carry that one.

You have to get transferred to the garden center and have some guy go look, they were located in the back Corner by the gate to the mulch. But I recall they had tons of Pygmy that had not brought in that would make it crowded

Edited by Collectorpalms

11 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

You have to get transferred to the garden center and have some guy go look, they were located in the back Corner by the gate to the mulch. But I recall they had tons of Pygmy that had not brought in that would make it crowded

I am beginning to lose my hope that I will find some Canaries around. I need a small one that I will be able to plant with my wife, not a big one.  And this is X2, because I need two of them. If I don't lose hope and I will just get something else and get done with the Canaries.

And at this hour I did not manage to get transferred to the Lowe's Garden Center. I will try again tomorrow if I don't lose my hope that I can find someone useful at Lowe's. :) 

Edited by CiprianS

I was looking right now for Canaries on eBay and I found plantvine. I google-ed and I have also found their online store. After searching through this forum a little I found that they are not bad as sellers. Should I get two from them can call my palm search done? :) It is $64 for a Large one as they describe it or $189 for an extra large one. 

49 minutes ago, CiprianS said:

The ones from the sides keep on growing and pushing new spears. Now my question is, after how long will their leaves start dividing in leaflets?

Maybe three seasons. 

5 minutes ago, CiprianS said:

I was looking right now for Canaries on eBay and I found plantvine. I google-ed and I have also found their online store. After searching through this forum a little I found that they are not bad as sellers. Should I get two from them can call my palm search done? :) It is $64 for a Large one as they describe it or $189 for an extra large one. 

If you notice the x-large is a hybrid. Probably from Florida? That may be an issue were you don’t get to pick two identical palms. Then they grow up and look like different species.

Edited by Collectorpalms

2 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

If you notice the x-large is a hybrid. Probably from Florida? That may be an issue were you don’t get to pick two identical palms. Then they grow up and look like different species.

I would just get the large ones and get done with it. How did you notice that the extra large one was a hybrid?

11 minutes ago, CiprianS said:

I would just get the large ones and get done with it. How did you notice that the extra large one was a hybrid?

Canary’s are very dark green glossy fronds. The large was right but the x-large was dull and not glossy green. It also could be growing conditions once again the more I look at it. But the California Lowe’s ones are heathy. The one in Florida? I can see fungal issues on fronds. 

BF793FC0-C7B0-4A90-95A2-56178A556D1E.jpeg

A5930E50-DAE5-43AE-B5DE-D4FCDB561D1B.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms

5 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Canary’s are very dark green glossy fronds. The large was right but the x-large was dull and not glossy green. It also be growing conditions once again. But the California Lowe’s ones are heathy. The one in Florida? I can see fungal issues on fronds. 

I am very tempted to get two large ones from plantvine right now. Can you please check at the large ones  "The Recently Shipped ones" and see how they are? And yes, they are from Florida. Below is what I found in the eBay listing where I got them from. And if they have that fungus, is it treatable? If so, what is that fungus from the Canaries treatable with?

Phoenix canariensis, Canary Island Date Palm, Pineapple Palm - Extra Large

Very Large, healthy plant in a 12-14 inch pot.

Categories: Palms

PlantVine works with over 1000 growers in South Florida who specialize in growing countless tropical species. We pride ourselves in selecting the best available plant for your home and garden. You will receive a picture of your plant once we've picked it, before it is shipped.

I have no idea were they get seeds from

so no telling what you will get. If they collected seeds in Florida then it’s likely a hybrid. Don’t get sprinkler water on them. They probably had overhead water that stayed on them at night. May need fertilizer and New fronds should be ok.

the large looked green, and healthier. Possibly grown in a separate area and watered differently.

2 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

I have no idea were they get seeds from

so no telling what you will get. If they collected seeds in Florida then it’s likely a hybrid. Don’t get sprinkler water on them. They probably had overhead water that stayed on them at night. May need fertilizer and New fronds should be ok.

the large looked green, and healthier. Possibly grown in a separate area and watered differently.

But if you get Fungus on Canaries from overhead watering how can you treat it? Just by fertilizing? By the way, check your private messages. :) 

Edited by CiprianS

2 minutes ago, CiprianS said:

But if you get Fungus on Canaries from overhead watering how can you treat it? Just by fertilizing?

No you can’t fix the old fronds where they are spotted. You might be able to make them greener overall. Bayer 3 in 1 for roses would work to stop the spread.

Edited by Collectorpalms

No you can’t fix the old fronds where they are spotted. You might be able to make them greener overall. Bayer 3 in 1 for roses would work to stop the spread.

I remember when I was looking for Palms at one of these tree farms around me, one guy from there recommended me to treat with BioAdvanced 3-in-1 the Canaries twice a season, once before the hurricane and the second time after the hurricane season so that the Canaries don't get their killing disease. He was telling me that he is recommending this to all of his customers in the Houston area and none of them had issues with their Canaries.

I am not talking about the fungus here, I am talking about their spreading disease that is killing them.

24 minutes ago, CiprianS said:

I am talking about their spreading disease that is killing them

Lethal bronzing?

Fusarium wilt of CIDP is a fungus with no known chemical preventive or cure and that's why I wondered what disease they thought the 3in 1 was going to prevent. Unlikely that the 3 in 1 would have any preventive use on the bronzing either but maybe they know something the rest of us don't.

17 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

Fusarium wilt of CIDP is a fungus with no known chemical preventive or cure and that's why I wondered what disease they thought the 3in 1 was going to prevent. Unlikely that the 3 in 1 would have any preventive use on the bronzing either but maybe they know something the rest of us don't.

Or maybe it was just luck that his customers did not get the disease on their Canaries. :) 

21 minutes ago, CiprianS said:

Or maybe it was just luck that his customers did not get the disease on their Canaries. :) 

Exactly!