IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Damage assessment after Texas freeze - need to find cold hardy palms

CiprianS

32 minutes ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

Go for it, with Sabal Riverside.:greenthumb:

I often seen CIDP at Home Depot.  I'm sure they will show up sometime or another. 
Sabals are hard to find.

I always see Canaries at Houston Garden Center, I have never seen them at Home Depot in my area. But, until now they haven't brought the Canaries at any Houston Garden Center near me. It is true that I HAVE NEVER SEEN any Sabal Palms at all of these Houston Garden Centers. Now the Houston Garden Centers and Home Depots are full of Pygmy Date Palms (they know probably that they all got burned and died during the freeze) but no sign of any Canaries as of now. :(

@edit: Damn, I paid more for the shipping of two palms than I would have paid for a single palm. If Jungle Music would have been in my area I would have gotten three Sabals and still remained with some change in my pocket compared to what I paid for two + shipping. :( 

Edited by CiprianS
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CiprianS said:

I always see Canaries at Houston Garden Center, I have never seen them at Home Depot in my area. But, until now they haven't brought the Canaries at any Houston Garden Center near me. It is true that I HAVE NEVER SEEN any Sabal Palms at all of these Houston Garden Centers. Now the Houston Garden Centers and Home Depots are full of Pygmy Date Palms (they know probably that they all got burned and died during the freeze) but no sign of any Canaries as of now. :(

@edit: Damn, I paid more for the shipping of two palms than I would have paid for a single palm. If Jungle Music would have been in my area I would have gotten three Sabals and still remained with some change in my pocket compared to what I paid for two + shipping. :( 

True, that’s one way to look at it. It is a lot of money and it’s hard to drop that money but I think in a few years when those beautiful Sabal riversides get larger you will be thankful you made that purchase and it will be all worth it.

3 hours ago, CiprianS said:

done deal with Phil, I ordered the below two Sabal Riverside from him.  :)  He will ship them on Monday so that they won't stay in any UPS/FedEx warehouse or truck during the weekend. 

Good call on the S.Riverside the one on the right is about the same size I got from him. In less then 2 years this is what it looks like. 

T J 

20210407_160637.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

T J 

2 minutes ago, Jtee said:

True, that’s one way to look at it. It is a lot of money and it’s hard to drop that money but I think in a few years when those beautiful Sabal riversides get larger you will be thankful you made that purchase and it will be all worth it.

I am well over my budget of $500 that I planned to use for the palm trees replacement and I still need to get those two Canaries. Plus there are some other ones that I am looking at. I trunk cut the Robusta that does not look that good. Below are photos with it and also with the ones where I see a spear coming out. I took out two out of the three small Sago Palms that I had. They were rotten, as I was pulling, the cuttings from the old petioles were coming out. After I removed them, they were full of ants under them, between their trunks and their roots. :(

The Robusta with the spear that keeps on pushing to come out.

QLsxZ5s.jpg

The Robusta which I trunk cut earlier and that I treated with the Hydrogen Peroxide. Unfortunately, this one had lots of ants in its trunk as I was making the cut which is not really a good sign. 

HC1OdJO.jpg

9XMVz0G.jpg

vznF3PW.jpg

Up to you, but personally, I would get rid of that Robusta.  It's small enough where it's easily replaceable.  Is it worth the hassle at this point.  If it were a large palm I would wait a month or two and see what is going on and try to save it.  But you can buy a 30 dollar palm and it will be that big in two years.  Or less.

Edited by NBTX11
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NBTX11 said:

Up to you, but personally, I would get rid of that Robusta.  It's small enough where it's easily replaceable.  Is it worth the hassle at this point.  If it were a large palm I would wait a month or two and see what is going on and try to save it.  But you can buy a 30 dollar palm and it will be that big in two years.  Or less.

Of which one of them would you get rid of? The second one I guess, right? The only thing that I liked about these Robustas is their growth rate. But after that thinking to pay $300 to trim one when I would be old would not delight me. I got so many Sabal Palmettos... ten of them. Now also these two Riversides and I am in talks also for some other ones. 
And yes, in a little bit less than two years I can grow another Robusta to get to that height. But, what will happen if I go through this freeze again? I got six Washingtonia Filifera small seedlings from eBay which I hope are Filifera and not Robusta. But they won’t be ready to be planted probably until next year. 
So many headaches... :) 

8 minutes ago, CiprianS said:

Of which one of them would you get rid of? The second one I guess, right? The only thing that I liked about these Robustas is their growth rate. But after that thinking to pay $300 to trim one when I would be old would not delight me. I got so many Sabal Palmettos... ten of them. Now also these two Riversides and I am in talks also for some other ones. 
And yes, in a little bit less than two years I can grow another Robusta to get to that height. But, what will happen if I go through this freeze again? I got six Washingtonia Filifera small seedlings from eBay which I hope are Filifera and not Robusta. But they won’t be ready to be planted probably until next year. 
So many headaches... :) 

Get rid of the one with the huge hole down the middle.  The other one looks like it will recover fine.  You are "probably" safe to plant another Robusta and have it last a very long time (decades).  The likelihood of this happening, in terms of length of freeze, anytime soon, are very small.  Of course nothing is a guarantee.

I paid like 250 dollars to get 3 tall palms trimmed like a month before the freeze.  Was worth it, I don't get them trimmed that often, and I couldn't reach them anyways.  You can go 2 or 3 years between trimmings when tall if you want.  The skirt don't bother me, but mine was getting a little too shaggy, had been like 4 or 5 years since previous trim.

Filifera are also great options and they grow fast.  Not Robusta fast, but fast. 

Edited by NBTX11

Extreme weather is becoming more and more often, unfortunately. I am done with the Robusta, if I would have a Filifera the size of these two Robustas when I planted them on May 31st 2019 I would remove also the one that shows that will survive not only the one that I trunk cut today. 
Below are the photos of the two, one day after I planted them, on June 1st 2019.

@edit: I know, my back yard was looking awful back then, I had some over grown bushes in the back that I removed completely... old house, different owners, different tastes. :)

The one that shows that it will survive.

P78emnY.jpg

The one that I trunk cut today.

RDzvpAS.jpg

Edited by CiprianS
  • Like 1

Any opinions about my trunk cut Robusta? Is it dead or alive? Should I cut more of it or just leave it as it is at the moment?

5 hours ago, CiprianS said:

Any opinions about my trunk cut Robusta? Is it dead or alive? Should I cut more of it or just leave it as it is at the moment?

Leave it be. You didn’t cut too much. Which is good. But try not to let water or old peroxide sit in the hole. If nothing happens In a month or 2 then remove it.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

2 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Leave it be. You didn’t cut too much. Which is good. But try not to let water or old peroxide sit in the hole. If nothing happens In a month or 2 then remove it.

That hole is not that deep, it is less than two inches deep. I am just hoping that something will grow back from there. But, as I said before, if I had right now two Filifera of a good size I would just remove the two Robusta and get rid of the head aches. 

I had some itches I guess so I went again and did another trunk cut, a little bit deeper than it was so that I get rid of the standing water or old peroxide from there. Below you can see how it looks. Any impressions? Am I in the 50-50 with live-die or am I worse than this?

LSG2AIz.jpg

kalkKgh.jpg

WeKUCYR.jpg

You cut right to the meristem for sure, I can’t say if it’s alive, but the White looks promising. Just poor peroxide on that mushy looking area and wait.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

8 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

You cut right to the meristem for sure, I can’t say if it’s alive, but the White looks promising. Just poor peroxide on that mushy looking area and wait.

I sprayed some peroxide there on that mushy looking area of the Robusta, now I am just hoping to get some sun... in this time, another one of my Sabals just bit the dust. :( I saw that ants were starting to come on it the other days, and that was not a good sign at all. When I started pulling the result was not promising at all as you can see below.

HA5gLeF.jpg

Edited by CiprianS

Can I ask if your Getting sprinkler water in your plants? 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 12:31 PM, Reyes Vargas said:

Here are the pictures

20210402_085901.jpg

20210402_085848.jpg

I have just received the palm from you, thank you very much!!! It looks awesome, I am looking for an area to plant it, but first I will keep it for a few days outside in the sun so that I won't shock it too much by planting it right away!

• Like 1

Here in -5F land, it's looking more and more like pure Butias are trashed. Everything that has purported Jubaea blood mixed in is showing life. It's that crystal clear. Things are looking ugly for my S. uresana. Not moving any.  All Chamaerhops are dead to the snow line. Brahea armata and moorei are moving along. All the dwarf stuff was protected and fine. W. x filibusta is fine everywhere I see them.  Thank the Lord for the 10" of dry powder. Most of my landscape would be completely dead otherwise. 

• Like 1

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

47 minutes ago, buffy said:

Here in -5F land, it's looking more and more like pure Butias are trashed. Everything that has purported Jubaea blood mixed in is showing life. It's that crystal clear. Things are looking ugly for my S. uresana. Not moving any.  All Chamaerhops are dead to the snow line. Brahea armata and moorei are moving along. All the dwarf stuff was protected and fine. W. x filibusta is fine everywhere I see them.  Thank the Lord for the 10" of dry powder. Most of my landscape would be completely dead otherwise. 

Very mixed results from +5 land. I had a lot of ice and sleet in the crowns. over 1 inch of freezing rain was reported here.
We must have different definitions of Filibustas if your reporting they are fine everywhere there after -5.

Pure Robustas are really rare. I consider ones that burn at 25 close to Robusta. 
Filifera will stay green all the way to 13/14. 
Therefore, Most everything in between is a hybrid Filibusta by my own terms. 

I think I had more Flavors of washingtonia than most. 25

I am not sure of your exact town, but you probably had enough prior freezes since 1989 to weed out a lot of less hardy Washingtonia.

3A7E0195-B946-4B89-BC7C-A526F22797DF.jpeg

2A73E554-5D69-4F0E-BC53-C2FA1942F152.jpeg

951A0887-33EA-4B80-8023-48A3FCEB3909.jpeg

BE0764A7-6DE2-40C1-8E0C-83380FF58134.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms

This Sabal is in Austin. The picture was taken 1 week after the recent freeze. How is this for cold hardy. PM me if you want seeds.

PXL_20210225_161732176~2.jpg

7 minutes ago, Dimovi said:

This Sabal is in Austin. The picture was taken 1 week after the recent freeze. How is this for cold hardy. PM me if you want seeds.

PXL_20210225_161732176~2.jpg

my palmetto looked the best of my tall palms. Do you have a picture before the freeze? This is about a month after the freeze. My Mexicana and Uresana were slow to show damage. Initially they looked good.

2417E3F7-2047-46F3-8C83-2F603971064E.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

my palmetto looked the best of my tall palms. 

2417E3F7-2047-46F3-8C83-2F603971064E.jpeg

Nice! I don't see any damage.

7 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Can I ask if your Getting sprinkler water in your plants? 

Sorry, I have just seen your post. No, I don't water the plants with the sprinklers.

7 hours ago, CiprianS said:

in this time, another one of my Sabals just bit the dust. :( I saw that ants were starting to come on it the other days, and that was not a good sign at all. When I started pulling the result was not promising at all as you can see below.

Sorry, I wanted to say another one of my Sagos.... I became obsessed with these Sabals I guess. I have received five of them today, four are already in the ground, the one from our colleague @Reyes Vargas to which I thank again is still in its pot, staying in the sun to get acclimatized and watered for a few days until I also get the Sabal Riverside from Phil.

I went to Houston Garden Center again this afternoon and I was told that they will bring the Canaries on Thursday... at least at one of the locations close to me. I will ask tomorrow at another location where I will go and on Sunday I will go to another one... :) I haven't learned anything from this freeze, at least with the Canaries, I will buy them again. Meanwhile... below are my Canaries during the freeze...

pTuSwiY.jpg

CyPX4Np.jpg

Edited by CiprianS

I think I see some movement on my Robusta that is not doing that well. I don't like how the center (meristem) looks, but one of the white spears seems to be pushing out. Is it just my impression? 

UFNRdxw.jpg

Lowe’s Bastrop has 4 

E065CB8C-B300-4C00-9AE8-2A2FBFA1276F.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Lowe’s Bastrop has 4 

How much do they cost? How many gallons does that pot have? 

Edited by CiprianS

$89 They are 11.1 gallon. 

Just now, Collectorpalms said:

$89 They are 11.1 gallon. 

Did you actually go there? Or is it a way to check the stores inventories online that I have no idea about?

14 minutes ago, CiprianS said:

Did you actually go there? Or is it a way to check the stores inventories online that I have no idea about?

I was there today. I took item number, but Item inventor has not been working for this years inventory. I’ll check it tonight.

Here so you can check. I do t have a truck or I would have been tempted to take them.

3091C28F-534A-4F56-A2F7-C9AE2C62E490.jpeg

53C2DECF-C950-48A6-AF05-80CB454D2F08.jpeg

46EDCFCC-D87F-4257-AFA4-318FB239E8FA.jpeg

• Like 1

I found that item code by looking on Lowe's website for the Canaries. But when I search on brickseek.com I don't see that they have it in stock at Bastrop.

I checked some Houston Garden Centers in my area and at one location I was told they will bring them on Wednesday, at another one on Thursday and at another one they told me that they don't know since they got burned during the freeze...

And, unfortunately, I don't have a truck either, otherwise probably I would have been very tempted to get on a road trip to Bastrop as my destination.

Edited by CiprianS

.... yeah. They are not getting scanned in or something, too much revolving inventory. But they just had them. Pygmy galore.

04436E8B-EE13-4C29-85E4-93E5901C125A.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms

2 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

.... yeah. They are not getting scanned in or something, too much revolving inventory. But they just had them. Pygmy galore.

It is full of Pygmy Date Palms here at HGC and Home Depot.

3 hours ago, CiprianS said:

I think I see some movement on my Robusta that is not doing that well. I don't like how the center (meristem) looks, but one of the white spears seems to be pushing out. Is it just my impression? 

UFNRdxw.jpg

It’s alive or nothing would be happening, will it sputter out. Possible. This is why you don’t overcut, you can get miracles.

Edited by Collectorpalms

A palm addict could make two fit in an average car, no kids or partner in car though. 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Collectorpalms said:

It’s alive or nothing would be happening, will it sputter out. Possible. This is why you don’t overcut, you can get miracles.

Not when I was looking to replace him... he is giving signs of life. :) 

51 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

A palm addict could make two fit in an average car, no kids or partner in car though. 

At one point I am just saying, it is not worth it to drive so much for two Canaries. I just got home, the two Lowe's that I have in my area don't have any Canaries. And, guess what, no California Fan Palms, they have the Mexicans.

I was just thinking right now about a Sylvester Palm... I saw two a while back and they looked very nice.

On 4/5/2021 at 8:35 PM, Fusca said:

Since the Sabal seedlings you dug were still pretty small it's possible that they could live if you got all of the roots and didn't disturb it much.  If they do end up dying it could take months before you see the decline - depending on the damage it sustained.  I'm growing S. Riverside from seed and for me it seems to grow faster than mexicana at the seedling stage.  Not sure about the hardiness compared to mexicana but my seedling with palmate leaves survived the 9° freeze being completely covered up with mulch.

I gave my SIL a Riverside that has been in the ground for several years now....   it had about 40% frond damage but started growing right after the hard freeze.   So they are certainly less hardy than S. Mexicana !   My Mexicana's here in San Antonio only had minor damage to the frond tips....   so I estimate 10% frond damage.

Jv

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

On 4/12/2021 at 12:41 PM, CiprianS said:

At one point I am just saying, it is not worth it to drive so much for two Canaries. I just got home, the two Lowe's that I have in my area don't have any Canaries

Just a FYI I'm pretty sure I saw a lot of potted CIDP at Three Sisters on 45 today.  Looks like they had more than 1 size.  Disclaimer: I was driving by at 85mph in the rain.

2 hours ago, Keys6505 said:

Just a FYI I'm pretty sure I saw a lot of potted CIDP at Three Sisters on 45 today.  Looks like they had more than 1 size.  Disclaimer: I was driving by at 85mph in the rain.

That is not very far away from me, I might stop by tomorrow. Are you talking about the "Three Sisters Nursery" from 8811 Gulf Freeway?

I went today at one HGC close to me and they did not bring any Canaries. I asked again and I was told that they were expecting to get them but instead of the Canaries they got knockout roses and some other stuff. I got at least a replacement Sago Palm of approximately the same size as the other one that I still have (and I hope it is still alive) to put it in front of the house to be symmetric with it. 

At the other HGC location where I was told that they would bring Canaries yesterday, they did not have them, my wife was there yesterday.

A little bit earlier today I also got my two Sabals from Phil, I need to decide now where I will plant them.

Edited by CiprianS