IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Damage assessment after Texas freeze - need to find cold hardy palms

CiprianS

Livistona chinensis is one of, If not my favorite palm tree.  They are easy to take care of.  Not demanding but are slow growing which is a good thing if you want to use as privacy.

No luck in finding today any Canaries... I have to keep on looking for them. One guy from a nursery was actually surprised when I told him about my Canaries growth.
$750 for a 6-7 foot trunk Texas Sabal, how is this price? No installation, no transport of course in this amount (not that I would buy one tomorrow). 

And I keep on looking at the Chinese palm and I don’t know why I don’t like them. 
I am too poor to afford a big grown Sabal so I have to keep on searching for seedlings in pots this time. I have experimented to dig out seven seedlings, two are in ground and another five are in pots. Until then I keep on looking for the Canaries and hope that I will find some nice Sabal seedlings. 

Edited by CiprianS

You seem dead set on Canaries, just know they will probably die within 20 years from disease 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

They have died in almost two years from freezing. In twenty years I don’t even know if I will be alive anymore (joking). :)

10 minutes ago, CiprianS said:

They have died in almost two years from freezing. In twenty years I don’t even know if I will be alive anymore (joking). :)

Death from disease much higher likelihood than cold haha 

• Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Question: which one has a faster growth rate, the Sabal Mexicana or the Sabal Palmetto? 

9 minutes ago, Xenon said:

Death from disease much higher likelihood than cold haha 

You never know actually. :) I see that you are in Katy, I was there earlier today at a nursery on Cypress Barker Rd, I forgot its name right now. I guess you know which one I am talking about since it is there in your area.

1 hour ago, CiprianS said:

Question: which one has a faster growth rate, the Sabal Mexicana or the Sabal Palmetto? 

From everything I've read here mexicana grows faster than palmetto.

If you're set on getting another CIDP Home Depot in San Antonio is selling similar sized CIDP as what you got from HGC for $89.  Comes with a 1-year guarantee in case we get another crazy 50-year freeze next winter!

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 1

Jon Sunder

You never know actually. :) 

Canaries largely survived the (much colder) freezes in the 80s only to disappear in the landscape throughout the 2000s from lethal bronzing. Your palms probably died because they're young and not established. Believe me, I've watched dozens and dozens of giant CIDP slowly die in the older Houston neighborhoods.  Large CIDP are now a very rare find.. The disease is currently hitting Galveston. Very sad. 

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

20 minutes ago, Fusca said:

From everything I've read here mexicana grows faster than palmetto.

If you're set on getting another CIDP Home Depot in San Antonio is selling similar sized CIDP as what you got from HGC for $89.  Comes with a 1-year guarantee in case we get another crazy 50-year freeze next winter!

Brrrr... everything is more expensive this year. I am trying to figure out how to get something from San Antonio to Houston because as far as I see it, "The Landshaper" in San Antonio has Texas Sabal Palms. I need to give him a call tomorrow to see if he has them and after that try to figure out how to get them from San Antonio. 

I am looking on Home Depot website and I can't get anything when I type in "Canary". Do they have the CIDP's at the store only?

And this thing with the 50-year event.... Harvey was also a 500 year or whatever they said event but... it still came. The weather is getting more harsh, bumping from one extreme to another, unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, Xenon said:

Canaries largely survived the (much colder) freezes in the 80s only to disappear in the landscape throughout the 2000s from lethal bronzing. Your palms probably died because they're young and not established. Believe me, I've watched dozens and dozens of giant CIDP slowly die in the older Houston neighborhoods.  Large CIDP are now a very rare find.. The disease is currently hitting Galveston. Very sad. 

I have a few large ones (CIDP) in my area, now it depends on what your definition of large is. I remembered, I was today at Verdant in Katy.  My CIDP's growth rate surprised one of the guys from there but... they were still babies.

Edited by CiprianS

I am coming back with a question. After how many days will the Sabals (the ones that I removed from in ground) that I planted die? Because I need to know If I should keep the space there occupied with them or plant the palms that I want to get.

Edited by CiprianS
  • Like 1

I don't want to flood some other user's topic so I came back here. Phil from junglemusic has 5 gallons Sabal Riverside.  From what I searched it is also a cold hardy one and more than this it is also kind of fast growing with 12-16 inches per year if I read it right where I searched. How is this the Riverside compared to a Sabal Mexicana in cold hardiness and growth rate? Also, what about the appearance of the palm?

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 1:09 PM, CiprianS said:

I am coming back with a question. After how many days will the Sabals (the ones that I removed from in ground) that I planted die? Because I need to know If I should keep the space there occupied with them or plant the palms that I want to get.

Since the Sabal seedlings you dug were still pretty small it's possible that they could live if you got all of the roots and didn't disturb it much.  If they do end up dying it could take months before you see the decline - depending on the damage it sustained.  I'm growing S. Riverside from seed and for me it seems to grow faster than mexicana at the seedling stage.  Not sure about the hardiness compared to mexicana but my seedling with palmate leaves survived the 9° freeze being completely covered up with mulch.

• Like 3

Jon Sunder

On 4/4/2021 at 1:09 PM, CiprianS said:

I would plant my newly purchased palms in a desirable location.  The dug up ones, could be seen as an "experiment".   Agree with Fusca, it may take months to determine their fate. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Since the Sabal seedlings you dug were still pretty small it's possible that they could live if you got all of the roots and didn't disturb it much.  If they do end up dying it could take months before you see the decline - depending on the damage it sustained.  I'm growing S. Riverside from seed and for me it seems to grow faster than mexicana at the seedling stage.  Not sure about the hardiness compared to mexicana but my seedling with palmate leaves survived the 9° freeze being completely covered up with mulch.

12 minutes ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

I would plant my newly purchased palms in a desirable location.  The dug up ones, could be seen as an "experiment".   Agree with Fusca, it may take months to determine their fate. 

Since I wrote the previous post about the Riverside, I found a website "Madera Palms" who are somewhere in Riverside, California. According to them the Riverside is faster growing and also it tolerates more cold compared to the Sabal Mexicana. 

Also, I have another question, I have just received six Washingtonia Filifera seedlings (or at least I hope they are Filifera and not Robusta) which I bought from eBay. I planted three of them in a 12 gallons pot and another three in another 12 gallons pot (in a shady location as the seller recommended not to put them in direct sun for thirty days). I used the Miracle Gro Cactus,  Palm and Citrus soil. Should I also put some Vitamine B1 as the seller was recommending for strengthening the roots of the seedlings? Actually, he was recommending the Western States 1 Gal. Vitamin B-1 Liquid fertilizer to be more exact.

Now I am in real doubt if I should get the Sabal Riverside or keep on looking for Sabal Mexicana. :)

Edited by CiprianS
  • Like 1

Sabal uresana is another nice Sabal that should be bulletproof for Houston 

• Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

27 minutes ago, CiprianS said:

Now I am in real doubt if I should get the Sabal Riverside or keep on looking for Sabal Mexicana. :)

I hear ya.  I'm only growing Riverside and guatemalensis as apposed to mexicana because they are more unusual here.  Mexicana is tried and true however - you can't really go wrong with a native palm!

Jon Sunder

I guess I will wait to see some photos tomorrow of the two Riverside that I am looking to buy and after that I will or won’t pull the trigger. 
Should I use the Vitamin B1 for the seedlings that I received or not? That is my other question. 

On 4/2/2021 at 8:25 PM, CiprianS said:

Brrrr... everything is more expensive this year. I am trying to figure out how to get something from San Antonio to Houston because as far as I see it, "The Landshaper" in San Antonio has Texas Sabal Palms. I need to give him a call tomorrow to see if he has them and after that try to figure out how to get them from San Antonio. 

What did the guy at Landshaper say?  Never heard of them before, but found their website.....

14 minutes ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

What did the guy at Landshaper say?  Never heard of them before, but found their website.....

That he has the Texas Sabal at $50 for the 10 gallon ones instead of $39.95 as it shows on his website. He said that he had a promotion once and that the site is not updated anymore and that is why it is showing that price. And he can bring it if I tell him that I need some and he does not have (since I told him that I am from Houston and I would have to arrange with someone for transport).
But, unfortunately, he is in San Antonio and I am in Houston and he is only delivering with his truck on a radius of 30 miles from his location. 

Edited by CiprianS
  • Like 1

I checked out the Madera Palms website and I’m super jealous because I’d love to go shop the place. But California is very far away lol. 
nice Texas Sabal the Landshaper guy has. 

too bad some of these places don’t ship. 

Indeed...thinking about how I can get the Sabals from San Antonio. Maybe one of the members from the forum from San Antonio will be merciful and bring me some when they come to Houston (wishful thinking). :)

@edit: of course I would pay for them, I just need to find someone to transport them from San Antonio to Houston.

Edited by CiprianS

5 hours ago, CiprianS said:

Indeed...thinking about how I can get the Sabals from San Antonio. Maybe one of the members from the forum from San Antonio will be merciful and bring me some when they come to Houston (wishful thinking). :)

@edit: of course I would pay for them, I just need to find someone to transport them from San Antonio to Houston.

Can you rent a truck and pick them up? 

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

That is a good idea but still I need one someone to go and look at those Sabals before. How big/small can those 10 gallons Sabals be?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CiprianS said:

That is a good idea but still I need one someone to go and look at those Sabals before. How big/small can those 10 gallons Sabals be?

I'll check them out for you but that place is 35 miles out of my way.  I'm sure they are small enough to fit in my car - I've transported 15-gal palms in it before.  I'm due for a trip to Houston also to visit my sister, but probably won't be until next month.  I'll post some pics for you probably in the next week or so.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

12 minutes ago, Fusca said:

I'll check them out for you but that place is 35 miles out of my way.  I'm sure they are small enough to fit in my car - I've transported 15-gal palms in it before.  I'm due for a trip to Houston also to visit my sister, but probably won't be until next month.  I'll post some pics for you probably in the next week or so.

Hmmm... is today my lucky day? :) I have just sent you a private message.

8 hours ago, CiprianS said:

I’m very interested also in seeing how big they are .

6 minutes ago, Jtee said:

I’m very interested also in seeing how big they are .

Are you planning a trip to San Antonio? :) Jungle Music has the price on his website for 3-5 gallons Sabals Mexicana at $95 and he is out of them, unfortunately.

4 hours ago, CiprianS said:

Are you planning a trip to San Antonio? :) Jungle Music has the price on his website for 3-5 gallons Sabals Mexicana at $95 and he is out of them, unfortunately.

No, I wish I was though because I really want one

Should I start trunk cutting? Shouldn't I? If I start, what tool should I use? I am thinking about doing this to my two Canaries and also to one of my Robustas.

On 4/2/2021 at 6:46 PM, CiprianS said:

If you want fast with plenty of hardiness for the area. Pick up a Sabal Riverside from Junglemusic.net @Phil Mine didn't brown tip at all and is a rocket compared to Palmetto 

T J 

• Upvote 1

T J 

14 hours ago, Jtee said:

No, I wish I was though because I really want one

Did you check to see if he had any S.Causiarum? 

T J 

T J 

22 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

If you want fast with plenty of hardiness for the area. Pick up a Sabal Riverside from Junglemusic.net @Phil Mine didn't brown tip at all and is a rocket compared to Palmetto 

T J 

I was talking to Phil about two Sabal Riverside and I am still waiting to get some photos from him with the real palms.

I was talking to Phil about two Sabal Riverside and I am still waiting to get some photos from him with the real palms.

I'm really happy with my growth rate of S.Riverisde 

T J 

T J 

Right now if I am not getting the photos from Phil I am kind of done with the Sabals. I am still looking for two Canaries to replace the ones from my front yard. I am trying to decide right now if I should trunk cut them or not to see if there is any life left in them. And if so, I need to see what saw I should use.

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Did you check to see if he had any S.Causiarum? 

T J 

You can get a Sabal causiarum on eBay for $20 and that’s with shipping included.

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

T J 

What size did you buy and so you remember how much shipping cost you?

1 minute ago, Jtee said:

I can answer you this one from what Phil told me. $85 per a 5 gallon one since I wanted two with another $108 for shipping. His website shows $100 for the 3-5 gallons ones, actually. So, a total of $170 for the two Sabal Riverside + $108 for shipping.

1 minute ago, CiprianS said:

I can answer you this one from what Phil told me. $85 per a 5 gallon one since I wanted two with another $108 for shipping. His website shows $100 for the 3-5 gallons ones, actually. So, a total of $170 for the two Sabal Riverside + $108 for shipping.

Ouch!!! I’d love one but I couldn’t justify even paying that shipping. I’m sure it’s packaged nicely though. 

5 minutes ago, Jtee said:

You can get a Sabal causiarum on eBay for $20 and that’s with shipping included.

If its a trusted ebay seller as in there on PT then that's a great deal. Otherwise you might just be getting a Palmetto honestly 

5 minutes ago, Jtee said:

I bought as a 5g with band size S.Causiarum and S.Louisana shipped together for 65$ s/h I believe =/ Total was around 200 for all 3 or something like that. 

T J 

T J