IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Transplanting a C. Humilis Cerifera

Keys6505

I was offered this pretty good sized Cerifera with the caveat that I have to remove it myself ASAP.  This thing sailed through 15 degrees with zero damage so I'm all over it (it's also much more blue in person).  So barring any rain I'll probably try to get this done tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.  Does anyone have any tips for transplanting a Chamaerops?  This one seems to be almost entirely shade grown so I'm assuming I'd have to protect it from the sun until it starts to recover?  A few threads I found on the topic seemed to just fade off without any resolution.  Any help would be appreciated!

20210330_194400.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have never moved a specimen of that size, but in my experience chamaerops are pretty easy to transplant. Just get as much of the root ball as you can reasonably move, get it back in the ground as soon as you can, and water well for the first month or so after you move it.

And of course, try to avoid getting torn up by the thorns while you're moving it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Keys6505 said:

Does anyone have any tips for transplanting a Chamaerops?

I've transplanted one before, but not that large.  Be prepared to get scratched!  That's a nice old specimen.  They'll do better in full sun but I would provide some temporary shade until it's acclimated.  Try to get as much root ball as you can.

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

I’d trim all the leaves off except the last flush of 4 leaves or so and tie them up. Then try to wrap tall the limbs in a cloth panting tarp Like at Walmart for around 10$ and tie it all together tight to make it manageable and out of way. The less leaves, the better for recovery.

A sawzall really helps prune those nasty trunks. 

as far as digging. I can’t help you there, obviously the bigger the better, but it will be heavy as hell.

My family moved a smaller one than that, it was in the ground several years. It died. They didn’t ask my opinion before or after,  before moving it... But generally I think European Fan palms can be done.

it is a desert palm, so don’t sit it in a soggy soil situation. A mound is best.

At least it is the best time of year to do this.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Here in Holland i know of one garden where they simultaneously transplanted a humilis and a cerifera. The humilis threw up its spears and lost its leaves. The cerifera was fine. 

These are cerifera’s that were straight pulled out of the ground in Spain about 5 weeks ago. Picture taken yesterday.

7C6544FA-91F0-44EE-9E1A-5788BC52EA3D.jpeg

• Upvote 1

My med palm was shade grown(on North side of my house).  It saw -10f in 2/2011 unprotected.  It was 100% defoliated but survived. It saw near zero again in 12/2011 and again was totally affiliated.  The growth was very slow for me in shade, in my climate. It was too slow to outgrow winter damage.

Spring of 2012, I moved it to my south side, reflected sun. Here it is today after seeing 2 nights of about 9f in February.

Like others said, get most of the rootball and pamper this growing season. Mine never missed a beat.  Much slower here in my zone 7b.

20210331_081704-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Ben OK said:

I have never moved a specimen of that size, but in my experience chamaerops are pretty easy to transplant. Just get as much of the root ball as you can reasonably move, get it back in the ground as soon as you can, and water well for the first month or so after you move it.

And of course, try to avoid getting torn up by the thorns while you're moving it.

I remember planting mine in a hole I dug and It was only possible to lift it into the hole by the fronds, Safe to say my hands has seen better days

They are easy to transplant . I just try and get as big of a rootball as possible . I would cut the palm back to just a few fronds per trunk . Then water it in well once it is transplanted  . 

Moving it is the hardest part because of weight . I fold a blanket or tarp in half and get 3 other guys  to grab a corner once it has been rolled onto  the tarp . I always have a hole pre dug so it is ready for planting right away . Even if you lost the biggest trunks , small suckers should grow out and become the new large trunks . If dug correctly  the largest trunks will survive  . 

Will

Well I got 'er done.  Donated a few pints of blood and was lucky enough to find a fire ant colony living right next to it.  I think I got a pretty decent sized root ball, but the dirt was loose and I lost alot getting it into my yard.  The roots were a lot shallower than I expected.  One thing it didn't notice until I was halfway into digging this thing out was the spears all looked funky.  1 of the smaller ones pulled but the others look brown and a little smooshed.  The rest of the plant was perfect though.  Any ideas what could cause this?  I used Ryan's drop cloth tip and strapped it to a hand truck and walked it home accross my neighborhood because there was zero chance I was going to be able to lift this into my truck.  Also, I was pretty beat after transplanting this (by myself!) so I haven't trimmed many fronds.  Any recommendations on what percentage I should trim off to aid in recovery?  Please excuse my weed garden, we're still reworking everything.

20210331_173725.jpg

20210331_173747.jpg

20210331_173757.jpg

20210331_173808.jpg

20210331_173824.jpg

20210331_181957.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

The more leaves you remove the better chance of recovery. Just leave a few. 
The newest leaves that hasn’t unfolded and now grown were damaged from the cold. That’s why they are funky.

good Job that’s a great find. Hope it makes it. That soil looks awesome.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Upvote 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

5 hours ago, Keys6505 said:

Well I got 'er done.  Donated a few pints of blood and was lucky enough to find a fire ant colony living right next to it.  I think I got a pretty decent sized root ball, but the dirt was loose and I lost alot getting it into my yard.  The roots were a lot shallower than I expected.  One thing it didn't notice until I was halfway into digging this thing out was the spears all looked funky.  1 of the smaller ones pulled but the others look brown and a little smooshed.  The rest of the plant was perfect though.  Any ideas what could cause this?  I used Ryan's drop cloth tip and strapped it to a hand truck and walked it home accross my neighborhood because there was zero chance I was going to be able to lift this into my truck.  Also, I was pretty beat after transplanting this (by myself!) so I haven't trimmed many fronds.  Any recommendations on what percentage I should trim off to aid in recovery?  Please excuse my weed garden, we're still reworking everything.

Med fan palms are notorious for spear pulling in response to cold!  It really doesn't mean much.  Pictures weren't too clear, but the smoosh spear sounds a bit concerning. 
My med fan palm pulled spears in 2010 and 2011 and maybe another time.  It was no  big deal. 

• Upvote 1

Nice, i hope it works out for you. I planted mine too, it has surprising rootgrowth for a palm that recently had been pulled from the ground in Spain. 

2C5ED91A-A4AD-4414-BF51-68E067875BFD.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jimhardy said:

A good root stimulator would be useful in addition to the trimming.

I honestly hadn't even thought of that.  I just checked HD's website and they carry Bonide brand.  Any experience with it or and recommendations for others?

8 hours ago, Keys6505 said:

I honestly hadn't even thought of that.  I just checked HD's website and they carry Bonide brand.  Any experience with it or and recommendations for others?

You know I have not had to use something like that in years but

I would think any good quality dedicated root stimulator would be

great for the new palm....its going to need some help with the cold damage

and the shock of being moved.....I would stay away from other types

of fertilizers until you see some solid growth coming in..

• Like 1

That's awesome, dude. Congrats. I would've been there with a shovel and clippers the moment that was offered to me. :) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Swolte said:

Frankly, I am waiting for the video of bloodied you dragging that monster across the street!

If my neighbors didn't already think I was a weirdo before this definitely sealed the deal!  

5 hours ago, necturus said:

That's awesome, dude. Congrats. I would've been there with a shovel and clippers the moment that was offered to me. :) 

Thanks man.  I almost gave up when I hit the fire ants lol.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Was cleaning up the yard today and figured I'd post a pic with a 6 month+ update.  The spears pulled on every trunk over time.  I didn't see any new growth for months despite treating with copper fungicide and H2O2.  As a last resort I performed surgery and cut 4 of the 5 trunks.  I left the one in the back (not pictured) alone to see if I overreacted but so far it's still just holding the few green leaves I left on it with no new spear showing.  Out of the 4 I cut, I retreated with H202 and fungicide immediately after the cut and within days 2 started moving the slightest bit of new growth and the other 2 caved in the middle.  Looks like the larges and smallest of the trunks have made it with a few new suckers starting off of the bottom.  Should be a good looking plant again by this time next year.

20211031_123805.jpg

20211031_152219.jpg

Edited by Keys6505
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 11 months later...