IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Loquat fruiting in 8b

DAVEinMB

Just stopped by my parent's house and noticed their loquat has fruit on it. I read this is rare for them in 8b? Either way I'm excited to try some once they ripen. 

20210330_140514.jpg

20210330_140613.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

They frequently fruit in Z 8b.  If it didn't produce in previous years, it could be maturity of the tree. 

• Like 3

Do Loquat do good In hot humid locations?  I wouldn't mind giving them a try if they would survive our 100+ temps in summer.

50 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Do Loquat do good In hot humid locations?  I wouldn't mind giving them a try if they would survive our 100+ temps in summer.

They grow well in Austin.  So I would say they handle heat fine.  I think they look happier in a little afternoon shade.  Mine would make fruit twice a year. Seemed to like the black Austin clay soil.

• Like 3

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

They handle heat fine. They look pretty bad in Austin right now and even in Houston. I think there will be some dieback in Houston - will be interesting to see what happens in Austin.

My parents have mature loquats growing in 8b, full sun, here in SE Georgia. They fruit every year.  

• Like 3

Loquats freely produce fruit in Mobile.  They're pretty common here.  Fruit from seedlings is variable, some quite good.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

They frequently fruit in Z 8b.  If it didn't produce in previous years, it could be maturity of the tree. 

Awesome! This is the first time seeing fruit on theirs so it was likely a maturity thing. There are some large loquats around town but I don't remember seeing fruit on them, maybe just overlooked without thinking about it. 

• Like 1

Very variable up here in the PNW. I know of a few reliably fruiting trees in 8a/8b on Vancouver Island, but there are also some trees that do not even flower here.  There is a guy who has been selectively breeding loquats to produce here in our cooler climate and I have one of his seedlings. Hoping for the best! 

• Like 1

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

I thought mine was dead after 5F, luckily I see new leaves coming on. I pruned it back now that I can see where the dead is. Mine flowers I think late winter and if it gets hit by a freeze at the time then in will not produce fruits in zone 8b. I had it somewhat protected under washingtonia. .. but now it will be on its own in Texas sun.

• Like 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

All of my loquats are putting on new growth since the subzero freeze, but all are about a foot shorter. In 8A, I usually get a crop every 3 years dependent on what stage of development is exposed to temperatures below 19F. The trees dont mind the heat and humidity where I live, but if they thrive in Houston, they will grow anywhere in the south.

• Like 1