IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Shade cloth vs window screen

banthony720

Looking for ideas/remedies/tricks to partialy protect some 1-3 gallon size archontophoenix from sun. Central Florida full sun i have no canopy whatsoever. Does regular window screen do any good? I'm not looking to do an entire greenhouse type set up. More like a redneck ghetto screen that I can move around if need be. I have some ideas just curious what others have used.

I know they are small for full sun but I'm going for it anyway.  Got 2 of each cunninghamiana, puperia, & tukari, as of right now. Going to get some Alexanders this weekend which are easier for me to find to find a little bigger. If I can find some maxima I might try those too. Planting a bunch of stuff. Different subject but I'm thinking about that water bill... Good news there I do have a reclaimed water sprinkler system that I obviously plan to use any tips on that would be appreciated as well. 

First year/time planting palms I've got a few other things too. We will see out it goes.

Ive used shade cloth held in place with bamboo stakes with the shade cloth maybe 2.5 - 3 ft high. You can put 4 stakes in and surround them on all sides. Hold the shade cloth to the stakes with fencing wire. You can keep them surrounded until they emerge on their own and then pull it away.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

8 hours ago, banthony720 said:

Does regular window screen do any good?

I doubt it, maybe three layers of it.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

I do not understand why you are looking for alternatives to shadecloth, its relatively inexpensive and does the job you need. Can just put 3-4 posts and cover the plant from above.

Flyscreen in my opinion will be subpar and main benifit will be stopping flies going onto your palms, prob better than nothing though.

Not sure if you can grow this in Central florida, but whats common here is people planting pawpaw plants for filtered light/ shade for palms. They are fast growing and provide a quick canopy and you get fruit.

Good luck.

PawPaw tree:

846033242_ScreenShot2021-03-30at9_22_56pm.png.b7ee2ba1c89fd34c0931d8e1087ae891.png

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Palms Brisbane said:

I do not understand why you are looking for alternatives to shadecloth, its relatively inexpensive and does the job you need. Can just put 3-4 posts and cover the plant from above.

Flyscreen in my opinion will be subpar and main benifit will be stopping flies going onto your palms, prob better than nothing though.

Not sure if you can grow this in Central florida, but whats common here is people planting pawpaw plants for filtered light/ shade for palms. They are fast growing and provide a quick canopy and you get fruit.

Good luck.

PawPaw tree:

846033242_ScreenShot2021-03-30at9_22_56pm.png.b7ee2ba1c89fd34c0931d8e1087ae891.png

This is Papaya. Paw-paw is something different.  I don't know which is used as shade. But I do love papaya. 

• Like 1

@Frond-friend42

In Australia its called pawpaw.

Sorry not sure of the internatioal standard. That image is a plant for sale in Perth Western Australia "Pawpaw Southern Red".

I think other countries might call it Papaya. :) 

Edited by Palms Brisbane
  • Like 2

a. purpurea in sun is a mistake here.  Mine in part (3/4) shade are fine.  I would use 1by 1 sticks, overhead shade cloth and a staple gun for the others for one year.  After roots ar established most will take the sun without a hiccup and if you have the shadecloth in place over winter, it will help keep those little seedlings warm in a cold snap.  Also keep their roots wet in the grow season they love water, cant have too much.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

11 hours ago, gtsteve said:

I doubt it, maybe three layers of it.

Window screen will definitely do something. I can guarantee that fact after losing our old pool screen cage in a hurricane. Whether it provides the required results is another story. Also, something that people don’t know is that screen is available in different wire diameters and mesh patterns. All of which will affect the light transmission. Compared to buying a large quantity of shade cloth, window screen is available in small quantities at a local hardware store. I think using some window screen might be just what @banthony720 needs to make a nice “redneck ghetto screen”.

23 minutes ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

Window screen will definitely do something. I can guarantee that fact after losing our old pool screen cage in a hurricane. Whether it provides the required results is another story. Also, something that people don’t know is that screen is available in different wire diameters and mesh patterns. All of which will affect the light transmission. Compared to buying a large quantity of shade cloth, window screen is available in small quantities at a local hardware store. I think using some window screen might be just what @banthony720 needs to make a nice “redneck ghetto screen”.

Depends what shops around and which country. Flyscreens more expensive in Australia then shadecloth and can buy both per metre.

I have reused shadecloth many times, as palms grew, reattaching it  to a larger frame.  Window screen is not so reusable.  I have 10 year old shadecloth ready to cover my babies as they go in.  So if you want to resize the shade as a palm gets bigger or if you want to put it on another palm its going to last longer and be easier.  Shade cloth probably cuts out 2x as much light as screen, your eyes aren't lying.  Pool screens do cut the heat and reduce water demands. I know of someone who has a bunch of smaller palms under their pool screen, they look happy though none are emergent palms.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank