IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ravenea Xerophila questions

Coasta

Hello all! I have had a Ravenea Xerophila since October and noticed with half day sun that it started to toast up. The new emerging leaf was developing sun burn as well.  I thought these were supposed to be bullet proof with sun. Has anyone else experienced this? 

Also I was told at the nursery to leave the boot out of the soil so when I repotted it a few weeks ago I did that. Should it stay above the soil line? 

I also noticed that some of the boot fell off today. 20210329_082458.thumb.jpg.5de799ff549272be803ac39f4af363f6.jpg20210329_082617.thumb.jpg.c1383601305d6dbc65affb3408b23be6.jpg20210329_082617.thumb.jpg.c1383601305d6dbc65affb3408b23be6.jpg 

20210329_082642.jpg

Yes. The boot needs to stay above the soil line or the palm could rot out. The fronds are burned because they previously were greenhouse grown.The next frond it produces should be better adapted to our conditions. That's why,when possible,you should buy locally grown material,as it is already adapted to our extremely hot and dry climate. Imports of exotic palms from Florida and California almost ALWAYS burn at first when moved to Arizona. Over time,your tree should adapt and do very well here,even planted in full sun,in the ground.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

1617040572019593878686796987458.jpg

IMG_20210317_085634087.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

No worries on part of boot falling off. They generally disintegrate from the top down,but the plant knows at what depth it is happy.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year