IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Took a stroll through my container garden; a THANK YOU to Palm Talk! (photos)

chad2468emr

As usual, I took a walk through my container garden of palms and other tropicals this morning. To say I was NOT a morning person in the past is an understatement, but since I’ve become so into gardening, I can’t wait to climb out of bed before my alarm even goes off for work most of the time so I can check in on all my plants.  

2020 was, as it was for most, and incredibly tumultuous year for me: COVID-19, cancer diagnosis within my immediate family, (everything turned out better than we’d hoped) cross-country move back to Florida, temporary salary cut because of the pandemic... it all added up to a slurry of stress and lost sleep that I’m sure many can identify with given the trials and tribulations of last year.

I’ve always loved plants and I’ve always loved being outside. I’ve had palms in some capacity my entire life, but really being able to dive-in and get my hands dirty (literally, haha) was an absolute life-saver for me. Re-building my palm collection after a brief hiatus from FL helped me get outside, stay busy, and stay healthy both physically and mentally while avoiding large social gatherings and staying safe. 

You folks here at palm talk have a lot to do with that! Thank you all for all the help and advice you tirelessly provide that have allowed me to adequately care for what is now 35+ different species of palms in containers. Sadly, I’m renting this townhome and stuck with containers for now, (and seriously out of room, haha) but soon, the advice you’ve all shared will be put to work getting these puppies rooted in earth. I couldn’t help but feel proud as I looked through what I was able to accomplish and care for thanks to all of your advice and guidance. Thank you all!!!! 

855EE826-8721-49AB-A925-6A7B2BE937E9.thumb.jpeg.2863735131a2eb8c1456fe7f53f0c903.jpeg

8B30D895-6E7F-43E3-9BC6-34D80362F56E.thumb.jpeg.052e99fc412191d985ca21b5dbf3d187.jpeg

B4555868-BD4E-4E31-93A2-7A6C12DB8596.thumb.jpeg.c4e50d4fe491d8345af9837d723caab7.jpeg

2F6A9941-685C-4090-8756-88B6E20F5931.thumb.jpeg.93f05b77f082f1c064c27d018b33ef9a.jpeg

7DECD826-4BD8-472C-A4E3-857A4BB5FB10.thumb.jpeg.659b227e5d36bc3225e814e4e274e1ef.jpeg

AAFFBBDF-3630-4644-9525-72B5D3C66DE1.thumb.jpeg.702cfb6d3f5c6868ffdf6ff802070c01.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Upvote 4

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

GORGEOUS!! Your teddy caught my eye! :wub: How old is it?

• Like 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

1 hour ago, Darold Petty said:

Your plants all look in great condition ! :greenthumb:

1 hour ago, HtownPalms said:

That's one awesome collection! Very healthy and happy palms! 

Thank you both! There are some struggling individuals (namely two licualas that are recovering from a soil that didn't drain too well / dry fast enough in the cooler months) buried in there, but all-in-all, I'm feeling good about how few issues I've had!

9 minutes ago, Missi said:

GORGEOUS!! Your teddy caught my eye! :wub: How old is it?

Thank you!!! It is my largest palm by far so it is certainly eye-catching! Those fronds are at least 10 solid feet long by themselves. I got it last winter from a visit to SFL and it was SERIOUSLY overgrown and forgotten about in a 15g pot. Pics of when it first arrived (right in the middle of one of the coldest periods we had last winter, haha) found HERE. I wasn't sure if it was dealing with a fungal issue or deficiency of some kind, since it's fronds were pretty rough looking and I only ended up keeping two, but the newest frond it just put out was almost spotless and I'm feeling really good about that. You can't see too well in the pic above, but the root ball had pushed the palm up and out of the 15g pot so high that the 25g I repotted it into wasn't even deep enough to cover it. You can see that in the post I linked to above. I ended up buying a second 25g pot and cutting the bottom out so I could add another 12+ inches of soil to the top of the pre-existing one to bury all of the roots, and I'm thinking that root coverage + the warmer temps we've seen are what have contributed to the amount of growth I've seen on it recently. 

• Like 1

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

46 minutes ago, chad2468emr said:

Thank you!!! It is my largest palm by far so it is certainly eye-catching! Those fronds are at least 10 solid feet long by themselves. I got it last winter from a visit to SFL and it was SERIOUSLY overgrown and forgotten about in a 15g pot. Pics of when it first arrived (right in the middle of one of the coldest periods we had last winter, haha) found HERE. I wasn't sure if it was dealing with a fungal issue or deficiency of some kind, since it's fronds were pretty rough looking and I only ended up keeping two, but the newest frond it just put out was almost spotless and I'm feeling really good about that. You can't see too well in the pic above, but the root ball had pushed the palm up and out of the 15g pot so high that the 25g I repotted it into wasn't even deep enough to cover it. You can see that in the post I linked to above. I ended up buying a second 25g pot and cutting the bottom out so I could add another 12+ inches of soil to the top of the pre-existing one to bury all of the roots, and I'm thinking that root coverage + the warmer temps we've seen are what have contributed to the amount of growth I've seen on it recently. 

:blink: That's some incredible growth for a year!! :greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb: I have 2 (not quite trunking yet) that I grew from teenie seedlings. One I put in ground late summer of 2019 and the other is in a pot still. The one in ground struggled the entire year last year. I thought it was because I put it, an emergent species, in almost full sun, but actually I think it could be because I accidentally got Roundup on it because I did try to acclimate it to almost full sun when it was still in a pot, and it was doing well. Prior to this past winter, it would slowly push out frazzled pale green leaves so I had plans to remove it this spring, then surprisingly last month it popped a beautiful new leaf. That zone of my yard wasn't even getting watered because the valve needed to be replaced all winter and I was procrastinating it and also, we had a couple nights of moderate frost, but still, the nice new frond! I don't know if it just took that long to acclimate to the full sun, or if I actually did accidentally get heribcide on it, but I hope it continues this trend! How much sun does yours get?

dl.jpg

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

@chad2468emr Nice palm collection. This is totally off-topic, mind my curiosity but what is the cladding and structure of your house?

US building techniques and mediums always interest me. Again sorry for the off topic question and no worries if you don't know!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sipalms said:

@chad2468emr Nice palm collection. This is totally off-topic, mind my curiosity but what is the cladding and structure of your house?

US building techniques and mediums always interest me. Again sorry for the off topic question and no worries if you don't know!!!

Thank you! 

It's a townhome, which is just a fancy word that people use in Florida for multiple houses that are all connected on the sides, but usually with their own front + rear entrances and exits on the first floor. It's basically a glorified apartment. Typically they have square footage more reminiscent of houses. Kind of like if an apartment building and a house had a baby, haha. Being in Florida, most exterior walls for anything built in the last decade are cement + stucco to withstand hurricanes, though there is siding on the exterior walls of the second story of my building to add to the illusion of a normal home build like you'd find in the Northeastern US. 

Nice collection! They all look happy and healthy! It’s a great hobby to have and I think we can all relate to needing more space for palms :D

• Like 1

*cough cough* Frank pics *cough cough* 

Sancho on my porch for trade lol.

20210202_184124_2.jpg

• Like 1

I have the same Ficus elastica, by the looks of it.

• Like 1

Species I'm growing from seed: Chrysalidocarpos leptocheilos, Licuala grandis, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii, Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, Bentinckia condapanna, Livistona benthamii.

Chad you're officially my new hero. Can't wait to show my wife what my container-ranch might look like one day. Wife, to me: "they all just look like blades of grass". (This is especially true of coccothrinax)

• Like 1

Great post @chad2468emr! I complete understand your story, and can relate! 

Keep up the good work with your container ranch/garden (whatever people call it these days) haha. 

• Like 1

Wow this inspired me. I dont have anymore space in my garden now so I have to start collecting in pots. The good thing is that I can get a lot of stuff that normally cant be grown in my zone. Think I save up for a Latania next.

What is the Palm in the middle in your first photo with the green rings on the trunk?

• Like 1