IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Livistona chinensis getting big

Tropicdoc

That's spectacular, Chad.  I love the drooping leaf tips. Gives me hope for my young one not too far from you in Alabama. Does yours have multiple trunks?

Not multiple trunks. And, yes, I saw others in town in the shade and I loved the look so it is under a live oak. At least for a little while longer!

15 hours ago, Manalto said:

Gives me hope for my young one not too far from you in Alabama. 

What should really give you hope is the ones in my neighborhood that have 2-3ft of trunk that flower! Im in 8b, these dudes took more frond damage this winter than the Queens in the neighborhood did though.
I scored some unripe seeds from one of them, took 4 and got 1 to germinate. 
@Tropicdoc That's an amazing looking palm! It's got so many fronds.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

49 minutes ago, JLM said:

What should really give you hope is the ones in my neighborhood that have 2-3ft of trunk that flower! Im in 8b, these dudes took more frond damage this winter than the Queens in the neighborhood did though.

I'll gratefully accept any hope that's offered. It's interesting that you are 8b because I keep seeing Pensacola and New Orleans rated 9a and, although I'm in between the two in Mobile, get an 8b rating. We're right on the cusp so the zone designation isn't really as important as those weather anomalies. I'm also surprised that my newly-planted L.c. appeared undamaged after this winter's temperature plunge.  Its location against the south wall of the house and under a live oak undoubtedly helped. The Sabal palmetto on the north side of the house is in tatters.

• Like 1

@Manalto Chinensis over my neck of the woods made it through 2 separate nasty ice/snow/freezing rain events with temps below 20. Fully exposed locations too. One of them is part of a group planting with some larger Robustas, one of which didn't make it through the same storms. 

Mine took 18 F a few years back under canopy with no damage! Others in my vicinity exposed had a lot of burn but survived just fine.

interestingly this years ice storm at 22 caused a little more burn but nothing major

1 hour ago, Manalto said:

I'll gratefully accept any hope that's offered. It's interesting that you are 8b because I keep seeing Pensacola and New Orleans rated 9a and, although I'm in between the two in Mobile, get an 8b rating. We're right on the cusp so the zone designation isn't really as important as those weather anomalies. I'm also surprised that my newly-planted L.c. appeared undamaged after this winter's temperature plunge.  Its location against the south wall of the house and under a live oak undoubtedly helped. The Sabal palmetto on the north side of the house is in tatters.

The area that im in you can really tell is 9a just by the amount of spanish moss that's present. Spanish moss is plentiful in the downtown area of Milton along the Blackwater River, and ive seen plenty of it hanging in the Live Oaks along the Bay south of Hwy 90 in Floridatown (Pace). Interestingly enough, there are not a whole lot of palms in the neighborhood, most are Sagos. That i know of, there are only two Washingtonia in the neigborhood, one robusta the other one im pretty sure is filifera. Robusta is near the Livistona, and the filifera is across the street from me. There are Sabal palmetto, one house having installed more than 5 before 2018, and there is a really huge one that is old, always has a full crown and is by far the best palmetto ive ever seen. Otherwise there is another palm that is still a mystery ID, looks like a smaller version of a Butia but green, not sure if its a Mule or not, its trunking as well and seems to grow pretty slow. Queens are not very popular but there are more in this neighborhood than others, ive seen some more Queens planted around in the area lately not just in this neighborhood. Butia is the most popular palm, all of them having been there quite a while just based on trunk size. There are some Windmills and some humilis, but not very many. My neighborhood compared to newer neighborhoods is not very palmy at all, newer neighborhoods contain some CIDP and Sylvestris that have trunks but not very tall yet. Based on google maps images, Washingtonia seems extremely popular in this area, some newer neighborhoods have several in each yard.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa