IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pandanus / Screw Pine Type?

iDesign

I live 10min from the San Diego Botanic Gardens, and saw these amazing "stilt root" plants today. I had no idea these types of plants could survive in my zone (10a), and of course am now envisioning them in my own yard (I'm filling out my yard, and focusing on the more unusual palms & plants).

Doing online research, it appears to be a "pandanus" of some type (aka "screw pine"), but what type? Best guess is "pandanus utilis", and some internet photos look like my example photo, but some look wildly different. I really love how this type is relatively "neat" and upright, and it would be really disappointing to grow one for a decade or more, only to find out I bought the wrong pandanus type. Thinking a row of 2-3 uprights would be particularly awesome-looking.

* Bonus points if you know where i could buy one... I'm currently assuming I'll have to buy it as a seedling and raise it (which I'm willing to do if needed)

stilt-roots.jpg

Edited by idesign123

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

1 hour ago, idesign123 said:

I live 10min from the San Diego Botanic Gardens, and saw these amazing "stilt root" plants today. I had no idea these types of plants could survive in my zone (10a), and of course am now envisioning them in my own yard (I'm filling out my yard, and focusing on the more unusual palms & plants).

Doing online research, it appears to be a "pandanus" of some type (aka "screw pine"), but what type? Best guess is "pandanus utilis", and some internet photos look like my example photo, but some look wildly different. I really love how this type is relatively "neat" and upright, and it would be really disappointing to grow one for a decade or more, only to find out I bought the wrong pandanus type. Thinking a row of 2-3 uprights would be particularly awesome-looking.

* Bonus points if you know where i could buy one... I'm currently assuming I'll have to buy it as a seedling and raise it (which I'm willing to do if needed)

stilt-roots.jpg

Going w/ P. utilis,  but wouldn't be surprised if other sp. are around as well.. Shouldn't be tough to find for sale out there though Jungle Music may be sold out atm( was listed as sold out when i checked, still might give them a call ).  Great plant, sans those Saw edged leaves!, lol. Have seen pictures of another specimen located in La Jolla completely filling the front yard of a home. Wouldn't have assumed they could get that big in CA. Had fruit on it as well.

• Like 2

I believe “Way To Go Palms” in Orange County has recently advertised some of these plants for sale (have seen them on Craig’s List). Good luck.

• Like 1

There are some really big ones growing at the catamaran Hotel on mission bay if you get a chance  should checck them out they have fruit on them also .I have pandanus utilis growing in my yard and it grows well in part day sun outpacing my chambeyronia hookerii and is  creating  some competition. These are an easy grow here. Try Josh at Fairview nursery he had some for sale recently. 

• Like 2

I didn't know Josh at Fairview Nursery grew them... I'll have to ask him!
(I got several palms from him recently, and had a couple more palms I was going to ask him about)

I did check with "Way to Go Palms" as well, but the pandanus specimens they had were bigger & more expensive than I had in mind (the nicer looking one was over $1000). Looks like they already sold most of the smaller ones.

So nice to have a couple local options!

Stacey

* Sounds like it's time to visit the Catamaran Hotel again as well. I did visit a couple years ago to check out their tropical gardens, but that was before my eyes were opened to the world of palms. Since I've educated myself (mostly through the Palmtalk forum) I'm now seeing rare palms all over the place. Amazing how you don't truly "see" tropical palms & plants until you've done a large amount of research.

• Like 1

Love it! I have a spot in mind with lots of spacing around it (which will also make it so I won't get cut by the sharp edges). Do you happen to know whether all of these "branch" at some point? In my example photo (from the Botanic Gardens) the pandanus plants have lots of "arms" coming out of the main plant... which I love. 

In other words, do you think if you continue to grow your pandanus a few more years that it will grow "arms" as if it's trying to give your chambeyronia hookerii a big hug? Or do you think yours is going to stay as a single trunk (with no arms) forever? Just curious what to expect visually as it grows over the years.

Edited by idesign123

All the mature ones I have seen did branch I think mine is getting close to doing the same. Good idea on planting it out of the way the little sharp teeth have cut me multiple times I am growing the red margin form which adds a nice splash of color to the edges

20210330_171948.jpg

Edited by akamu