Sign in to follow this  
SALOttawa

Coconut Palm Worries

SALOttawa

Hi,

I have a coconut palm that is giving me some worries. I am down to 3 fronds - 2 green and one brown. There is a a spear but it has not developed for months. Any comments and suggestions? I live in Ottawa Canada so bringing it outdoors is not an option until June.

DC717BFD-9FFA-4484-922F-D313C2D7AE96.jpeg

A612A788-5397-4929-A2AD-B029BDFF4B25.jpeg

JLM

How much water does it get? Any fertilizer? 

SALOttawa

I mist it about 4-7 times daily and I give it a small amount of water each day but I even slowed that down as I have a high sand mixture in the soil and it was running through to accumulate in the bottom tray. I fertilize once a month.

PalmatierMeg

Coconuts need lots of sun, high heat and humidity. By heat I mean temps of 25-30C and more during the day and long term night time lows of 15-20C and more. By humidity I mean consistently over 70%. That window won't provide nearly enough light to keep a large palm like that healthy. Know that coconut palms are not only cold sensitive but cool sensitive. They need high light and high temps and will not compromise those to survive in a dry, dark, chilly house. Also check the palm for spider mites, which thrive in such conditions.

Welcome to PalmTalk

SALOttawa

Thanks. I will put my grow light back on it.