Stevetoad

California red Latin palms

Stevetoad

Anyone else growing latania lontaroides in CA? I’ve had mine for quite a while now. Seems pretty trouble free. 

1993B006-6ADD-44BE-9033-1DBCD210D578.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Upvote 3

CATinNoCal

They are beautiful! I’m afraid I need to stick with plants that are a bit more cold hardy. 

• Like 1

Palm Tree Jim
5 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

Anyone else growing latania lontaroides in CA? I’ve had mine for quite a while now. Seems pretty trouble free. 

Looking incredible!

• Like 1

Stevetoad
10 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Looking incredible!

thanks Jim. Do you remember when I got this from you? EDIT: looks like it was February 2016. Man where has the time gone.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Kim

I remember seeing a really big one on a PSSC garden tour a couple years back. It had several feet of trunk, pretty amazing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

bubba

It is great to see how RED these overlooked palms look in California. You are lucky. In SE Florida, probably because of high humidity, they never retain that RED.

I have only seen some like this in pictures from Meg in Cape Coral. I wish I knew the key.

Sideways, my silly brother in law cut down an old 25 foot yellow Latan because he thought it was a Sabal!

Xerarch

That's awesome, looks like rhubarb!

• Like 2

chad2468emr
22 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

Man, I love these palms!! Any palm that works in a little pop of color tends to be a favorite of mine. These have been on my list for a while, but they’re pretty hard to find in my neck of the woods. 

I see you’re in zone 9b. How has it handled cold snaps? With how great it looks, I’d imagine pretty well, but I imagine you get “dry” cold as opposed to the wet cold we get here in FL. I’m hesitant to add another palm larger than a seedling (which never stay that way anyway - everything grows!!) to my collection that I have to haul inside when we fall < 40°F. 

(I say that, knowing damn well I have no self restraint and that won’t stop me from getting one if I have the chance...) 

• Like 1

Stevetoad
1 hour ago, chad2468emr said:

Man, I love these palms!! Any palm that works in a little pop of color tends to be a favorite of mine. These have been on my list for a while, but they’re pretty hard to find in my neck of the woods. 

I see you’re in zone 9b. How has it handled cold snaps? With how great it looks, I’d imagine pretty well, but I imagine you get “dry” cold as opposed to the wet cold we get here in FL. I’m hesitant to add another palm larger than a seedling (which never stay that way anyway - everything grows!!) to my collection that I have to haul inside when we fall < 40°F. 

(I say that, knowing damn well I have no self restraint and that won’t stop me from getting one if I have the chance...) 

Mine has seen 28f. I only see temps like that during Santa Anna events so it is extremely dry. It’s never shown any damage though. I think it would benefit from a bit more sun. 

• Like 1

JubaeaMan138

Here’s mine tiny I’ve had it a couple years now from a 1 gallon I got from another forum memeber that grew it from seed . It’s In full Inland sun so it’s nice and stout . Hopefully I can find a spot for it this spring . I’m wondering if I should plant it in some shade . 

image.jpg

• Upvote 1

JubaeaMan138

Not to bad coming out of winter 

image.jpg

• Upvote 1

quaman58

Steve, that looks fantastic. I killed the first one I had, but after seeing others growing it close to my house (like next door), I decided to try again. They are awesome looking at young age. 

akamu

20210328_151609.thumb.jpg.84cb1e9a5d38a10647a94321381dcf63.jpg Mine is around 6 years from a 1 gallon slow and easy .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

DoomsDave

A hunting I will go!

akamu
On 3/26/2021 at 8:48 AM, Stevetoad said:

Yours is looking killer Steve. how much sun does it get? Mine gets about half day sun. The one i think Kim is referring to was in la Jolla in the backyard in hardly any sun at all. It had about 6ft of trunk and was incredible. It's  the. lajolla house with the corypha 

Stevetoad

Mine gets late afternoon sun. 

Missi

How much full sun can they take when younger? I have one of these and a loddigesii (blue) - both around 3 gallons - to plant in ground this year. They were in the uncovered part of my shadehouse (uncovered top but sides covered with shade cloth) and seemed like the petioles were stretching too much. I pulled them out over the weekend and placed them under a tree to start to get them acclimated to more sun. 

TropicalGardenSpain

I have one doing well the last 3 years in south east Spain 10a climate similar to yours with dry winter sand it’s also doing ok ;) not quite as nice looking as yours yet but it’s pretty much full sun so seems to be growing fairly quickly now. I’m also 18 miles from the coast too :greenthumb:

lzorrito
On 3/29/2021 at 4:28 PM, Missi said:

How much full sun can they take when younger? I have one of these and a loddigesii (blue) - both around 3 gallons - to plant in ground this year. They were in the uncovered part of my shadehouse (uncovered top but sides covered with shade cloth) and seemed like the petioles were stretching too much. I pulled them out over the weekend and placed them under a tree to start to get them acclimated to more sun. 

Not in California, but in a Mediterranean climate 10b, high UV scorching sun, mine is in full sun from 9am to 3pm from early age and doing very well.

IMG_20210313_145614.jpg

• Like 2

Missi
On 3/30/2021 at 4:22 PM, lzorrito said:

Not in California, but in a Mediterranean climate 10b, high UV scorching sun, mine is in full sun from 9am to 3pm from early age and doing very well.

Hmm. I thought California is more of a Mediterranean climate, no? Isn't that cool, wet winters? I am in Florida, US. We have hot wet summers, and cool dry winters. Our sun is a scorcher unless we get lots of storm clouds, which we haven't had for the last couple years.

lzorrito
38 minutes ago, Missi said:

Hmm. I thought California is more of a Mediterranean climate, no? Isn't that cool, wet winters? I am in Florida, US. We have hot wet summers, and cool dry winters. Our sun is a scorcher unless we get lots of storm clouds, which we haven't had for the last couple years.

Hi, Missi! Southeastern Algarve is only occasionally wet and cool during winter, but not for more then 1 or 2 weeks time. Let's say the average is 1,5 cool wet winter each decade (like this last one...:unsure:). We benefit from mild short winters and scorching (9/10 UV average) and dry summers. Average air temperature is between 13ºC / 55ºF in winter (January, day max up to 68ºF) and 30ºC / 86º F in summer (August, day max up to 100ºF), with short annual thermal amplitudes and small rainfall. Temperature only exceptionally drops to 5ºC / 41ºF minimum, and only for 3 to 4 hours during the night, rising exponentially until noon. The sea oscillates between 14.3º in January and 21.3º in September. I live by the sea, and benefit of its influence in terms of thermal amplitudes and higher humidity. In terms of solar time, we enjoy something like 3,065 hours of sunshine during the 365 days of the year. This is not exactly the tropics:D, not even close, but we have a very pleasant climate. Many northern Europeans move in when they retire ... does it remind you of anything?

• Like 2

Missi
30 minutes ago, lzorrito said:

Hi, Missi! Southeastern Algarve is only occasionally wet and cool during winter, but not for more then 1 or 2 weeks time. Let's say the average is 1,5 cool wet winter each decade (like this last one...:unsure:). We benefit from mild short winters and scorching (9/10 UV average) and dry summers. Average air temperature is between 13ºC / 55ºF in winter (January, day max up to 68ºF) and 30ºC / 86º F in summer (August, day max up to 100ºF), with short annual thermal amplitudes and small rainfall. Temperature only exceptionally drops to 5ºC / 41ºF minimum, and only for 3 to 4 hours during the night, rising exponentially until noon. The sea oscillates between 14.3º in January and 21.3º in September. I live by the sea, and benefit of its influence in terms of thermal amplitudes and higher humidity. In terms of solar time, we enjoy something like 3,065 hours of sunshine during the 365 days of the year. This is not exactly the tropics:D, not even close, but we have a very pleasant climate. Many northern Europeans move in when they retire ... does it remind you of anything?

Ok, thanks for sharing all that info! So kind of like Hawaii, but much less rainfall and humidity? (Sorry, I don’t know why I’m trying to compare it to somewhere else)

lzorrito
1 minute ago, Missi said:

Ok, thanks for sharing all that info! So kind of like Hawaii, but much less rainfall and humidity? (Sorry, I don’t know why I’m trying to compare it to somewhere else)

Hawaii??!!? I wish!! Not even close...:D

Funkthulhu

Let's flip this the other way from full sun.  How do think these would fair as part of an indoor container ranch that gets a couple hours of window sun each day?  (I still don't have a fan palm in the ranch...)