IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

California red Latin palms

Stevetoad

Anyone else growing latania lontaroides in CA? I’ve had mine for quite a while now. Seems pretty trouble free. 

1993B006-6ADD-44BE-9033-1DBCD210D578.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Upvote 3

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

They are beautiful! I’m afraid I need to stick with plants that are a bit more cold hardy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

Anyone else growing latania lontaroides in CA? I’ve had mine for quite a while now. Seems pretty trouble free. 

Looking incredible!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Looking incredible!

thanks Jim. Do you remember when I got this from you? EDIT: looks like it was February 2016. Man where has the time gone.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I remember seeing a really big one on a PSSC garden tour a couple years back. It had several feet of trunk, pretty amazing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

It is great to see how RED these overlooked palms look in California. You are lucky. In SE Florida, probably because of high humidity, they never retain that RED.

I have only seen some like this in pictures from Meg in Cape Coral. I wish I knew the key.

Sideways, my silly brother in law cut down an old 25 foot yellow Latan because he thought it was a Sabal!

• Like 1

What you look for is what is looking

That's awesome, looks like rhubarb!

• Like 2

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

22 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

Man, I love these palms!! Any palm that works in a little pop of color tends to be a favorite of mine. These have been on my list for a while, but they’re pretty hard to find in my neck of the woods. 

I see you’re in zone 9b. How has it handled cold snaps? With how great it looks, I’d imagine pretty well, but I imagine you get “dry” cold as opposed to the wet cold we get here in FL. I’m hesitant to add another palm larger than a seedling (which never stay that way anyway - everything grows!!) to my collection that I have to haul inside when we fall < 40°F. 

(I say that, knowing damn well I have no self restraint and that won’t stop me from getting one if I have the chance...) 

• Like 1

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

1 hour ago, chad2468emr said:

Man, I love these palms!! Any palm that works in a little pop of color tends to be a favorite of mine. These have been on my list for a while, but they’re pretty hard to find in my neck of the woods. 

I see you’re in zone 9b. How has it handled cold snaps? With how great it looks, I’d imagine pretty well, but I imagine you get “dry” cold as opposed to the wet cold we get here in FL. I’m hesitant to add another palm larger than a seedling (which never stay that way anyway - everything grows!!) to my collection that I have to haul inside when we fall < 40°F. 

(I say that, knowing damn well I have no self restraint and that won’t stop me from getting one if I have the chance...) 

Mine has seen 28f. I only see temps like that during Santa Anna events so it is extremely dry. It’s never shown any damage though. I think it would benefit from a bit more sun. 

• Like 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Here’s mine tiny I’ve had it a couple years now from a 1 gallon I got from another forum memeber that grew it from seed . It’s In full Inland sun so it’s nice and stout . Hopefully I can find a spot for it this spring . I’m wondering if I should plant it in some shade . 

image.jpg

• Upvote 1

Steve, that looks fantastic. I killed the first one I had, but after seeing others growing it close to my house (like next door), I decided to try again. They are awesome looking at young age. 

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

A hunting I will go!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 3/26/2021 at 8:48 AM, Stevetoad said:

Yours is looking killer Steve. how much sun does it get? Mine gets about half day sun. The one i think Kim is referring to was in la Jolla in the backyard in hardly any sun at all. It had about 6ft of trunk and was incredible. It's  the. lajolla house with the corypha 

Mine gets late afternoon sun. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

How much full sun can they take when younger? I have one of these and a loddigesii (blue) - both around 3 gallons - to plant in ground this year. They were in the uncovered part of my shadehouse (uncovered top but sides covered with shade cloth) and seemed like the petioles were stretching too much. I pulled them out over the weekend and placed them under a tree to start to get them acclimated to more sun. 

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

I have one doing well the last 3 years in south east Spain 10a climate similar to yours with dry winter sand it’s also doing ok ;) not quite as nice looking as yours yet but it’s pretty much full sun so seems to be growing fairly quickly now. I’m also 18 miles from the coast too :greenthumb:

On 3/29/2021 at 4:28 PM, Missi said:

How much full sun can they take when younger? I have one of these and a loddigesii (blue) - both around 3 gallons - to plant in ground this year. They were in the uncovered part of my shadehouse (uncovered top but sides covered with shade cloth) and seemed like the petioles were stretching too much. I pulled them out over the weekend and placed them under a tree to start to get them acclimated to more sun. 

Not in California, but in a Mediterranean climate 10b, high UV scorching sun, mine is in full sun from 9am to 3pm from early age and doing very well.

IMG_20210313_145614.jpg

• Like 3

Greetings, Luís

On 3/30/2021 at 4:22 PM, lzorrito said:

Not in California, but in a Mediterranean climate 10b, high UV scorching sun, mine is in full sun from 9am to 3pm from early age and doing very well.

Hmm. I thought California is more of a Mediterranean climate, no? Isn't that cool, wet winters? I am in Florida, US. We have hot wet summers, and cool dry winters. Our sun is a scorcher unless we get lots of storm clouds, which we haven't had for the last couple years.

38 minutes ago, Missi said:

Hmm. I thought California is more of a Mediterranean climate, no? Isn't that cool, wet winters? I am in Florida, US. We have hot wet summers, and cool dry winters. Our sun is a scorcher unless we get lots of storm clouds, which we haven't had for the last couple years.

Hi, Missi! Southeastern Algarve is only occasionally wet and cool during winter, but not for more then 1 or 2 weeks time. Let's say the average is 1,5 cool wet winter each decade (like this last one...:unsure:). We benefit from mild short winters and scorching (9/10 UV average) and dry summers. Average air temperature is between 13ºC / 55ºF in winter (January, day max up to 68ºF) and 30ºC / 86º F in summer (August, day max up to 100ºF), with short annual thermal amplitudes and small rainfall. Temperature only exceptionally drops to 5ºC / 41ºF minimum, and only for 3 to 4 hours during the night, rising exponentially until noon. The sea oscillates between 14.3º in January and 21.3º in September. I live by the sea, and benefit of its influence in terms of thermal amplitudes and higher humidity. In terms of solar time, we enjoy something like 3,065 hours of sunshine during the 365 days of the year. This is not exactly the tropics:D, not even close, but we have a very pleasant climate. Many northern Europeans move in when they retire ... does it remind you of anything?

• Like 2

Greetings, Luís

30 minutes ago, lzorrito said:

Hi, Missi! Southeastern Algarve is only occasionally wet and cool during winter, but not for more then 1 or 2 weeks time. Let's say the average is 1,5 cool wet winter each decade (like this last one...:unsure:). We benefit from mild short winters and scorching (9/10 UV average) and dry summers. Average air temperature is between 13ºC / 55ºF in winter (January, day max up to 68ºF) and 30ºC / 86º F in summer (August, day max up to 100ºF), with short annual thermal amplitudes and small rainfall. Temperature only exceptionally drops to 5ºC / 41ºF minimum, and only for 3 to 4 hours during the night, rising exponentially until noon. The sea oscillates between 14.3º in January and 21.3º in September. I live by the sea, and benefit of its influence in terms of thermal amplitudes and higher humidity. In terms of solar time, we enjoy something like 3,065 hours of sunshine during the 365 days of the year. This is not exactly the tropics:D, not even close, but we have a very pleasant climate. Many northern Europeans move in when they retire ... does it remind you of anything?

Ok, thanks for sharing all that info! So kind of like Hawaii, but much less rainfall and humidity? (Sorry, I don’t know why I’m trying to compare it to somewhere else)

1 minute ago, Missi said:

Ok, thanks for sharing all that info! So kind of like Hawaii, but much less rainfall and humidity? (Sorry, I don’t know why I’m trying to compare it to somewhere else)

Hawaii??!!? I wish!! Not even close...:D

Greetings, Luís

Let's flip this the other way from full sun.  How do think these would fair as part of an indoor container ranch that gets a couple hours of window sun each day?  (I still don't have a fan palm in the ranch...)

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

• 5 months later...

BUMP! 

Steve can I see a picture of it if you have time?

Is it loosing it's color as it gets on?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

1 hour ago, D. Morrowii said:

Not California but a couple of baby ones hoping to make Central Fl home!

B47B6FBE-F128-4A4E-AF81-0C6355FC35A9.jpeg

9F8FB2BE-EECC-4294-80A1-DECD7BE3F794.jpeg

Pretty quick growers from seed right? Mine are only a couple months old and already pushing there second leaf