IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show us your Majesty palms!!

ruskinPalms

These are one of my favorites. They grow well for me with plenty of water and fertilizer. This was originally planted in probably 2015 or 2016 and was in a 2 gallon pot with 3 others. I let them all grow in the ground for a year or two but then decided to edit out 3 of the 4 so that I could get a big, fat trunk going. Show off your Majesty Palms! 

990F7AA7-5273-4717-B925-906F8EF12725.jpeg

B1CA5A8C-8E46-480D-897D-8250F142CCAF.jpeg

Edited by ruskinPalms
  • Like 12
  • Upvote 4

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Nice! That’s a beast you have there! I have the same shovel lol.

I have a single and a double. Much younger than yours. 

Cold and rainy right now. Tomorrow I’ll have to take a pic.

• Like 1

They get no respect, but I love them with a big fat trunk...  Shovel on the compost and fertilizers, and anabolic steroids if necessary.   I want to see that hearty sucker pack on the pounds!   

Edited by Looking Glass
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I just planted my first and know I am zone pushing a bit so hopefully she’ll make it. I have read they like a lot of water and are heavy feeders. How much fertilizer are you @ruskinPalms using to get that beauty?

Tks.

Mine are still very young. I have a single that is growing faster than the double which may wind up looking really cool or might not.

01DF9DBA-5FAB-4A0F-B06B-FB31E5054936.jpeg

02ACB4E0-9E66-4611-9129-7239CD25B063.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Looking Glass said:

They get no respect, but I love them with a big fat trunk...  Shovel on the compost and fertilizers, and anabolic steroids if necessary.   I want to see that hearty sucker pack on the pounds!   

I agree I don’t know what’s that’s about. They are massive beautiful palms. For someone who wants a huge tropical palm like Royal that needs lots of water but do not want to deal with 50 lb leaves falling on them, family members, pets, or vehicles Majesty palms are the palm for you. 

Edited by James B
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, KDubU said:

I just planted my first and know I am zone pushing a bit so hopefully she’ll make it. I have read they like a lot of water and are heavy feeders. How much fertilizer are you @ruskinPalms using to get that beauty?

Tks.

I fertilize once a year in the spring with a palm specific fertilizer with micro nutrients usually from Lesco but I have used other brands. I do have a lawn care company and so do my neighbors. Who the heck knows what exactly they put down but the palms don’t seem to mind. I actually think the palms may secretly like what the lawn care companies are doing to keep the wretched saint augustine grass alive :floor:

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Whoa - that is a monster. I just started with these palms, and have gotten 3 over the past 2 months. I have them in pots for now, until I am certain that I will be here long term, as I would want to move with them if my plans change.

First pic is a double with a small baby. I got this one from a reputable nursery. It took a beating with Santa Ana winds, but has kept on chugging.

Other smaller ones were good deals I found on offer up. They were very root bound in 15 gal pots, so hopefully the additional room makes them happy. I feed and water them regularly, and I am hoping the winter yellowing starts to reduce. 

Any tips on best care for these guys is very welcome. I really want these dudes to thrive!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2c7f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2c9e.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ras said:

Whoa - that is a monster. I just started with these palms, and have gotten 3 over the past 2 months. I have them in pots for now, until I am certain that I will be here long term, as I would want to move with them if my plans change.

First pic is a double with a small baby. I got this one from a reputable nursery. It took a beating with Santa Ana winds, but has kept on chugging.

Other smaller ones were good deals I found on offer up. They were very root bound in 15 gal pots, so hopefully the additional room makes them happy. I feed and water them regularly, and I am hoping the winter yellowing starts to reduce. 

Any tips on best care for these guys is very welcome. I really want these dudes to thrive!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2c7f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2c9e.jpg

Give them water and fertilizer. Find low spot in your yard. I think they are native to rivarian areas. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I Got these Majesty palms from Costco one year ago. I planted them early on in quarantine. They are living under a Laurel Oak and Live Oak canopy. How old do you think they are? I can post better pictures on Sunday. I love Majesty palms. All of the pictures that everyone’s posted - they are amazing!

DFE719CC-D8AD-4878-B95E-CD8495C05B08.jpeg

B031200D-1B44-4F61-9E2C-E5FB817BCCD0.jpeg

• Like 7

I'll have to snap pics of mine when the sun comes up. The first plant I ever bought was a Majesty when I first moved into this apartment. 

Mine are in pots, one is very yellow and the other is very underpotted - but this thread gives me hope that both Groot and Groot Junior will be units one day. 

3 hours ago, NickJames said:

@shminbabe share yours 

NickJames, I follow your posts and the work you've done on your place by that lake, and I always think to myself, "I bet a big, fat majesty would be happy in some wet spot in that back area".  

Not sure exactly of your micro-climate, but they do take a little cold?  Don't they?  ...Nice tropical leaves and a big, fat trunk.   

Love your updates.  Great to see a transformed property.    

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I don’t have one yet, but I get to enjoy seeing my neighbors every day. :)

805050B9-ABE5-4FF3-925F-C1A36AA709BE.thumb.jpeg.b85b3f7397573bd5b072a0389ab4e968.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Here’s my 3 big ones planted with another 2 smaller ones to one day be a bit of a grove. These all were frozen last winter. 

B969814C-52F8-41B6-8D08-0D63D2BEE024.jpeg

070121E0-93C1-4290-B6D5-7829900BB5B5.jpeg

• Like 7

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

2DF4C454-C522-4F3B-BDA0-0D1EA2280918.jpeg

• Like 3

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

What a massively under rated palm. I actually just bought a tiny little baby at a big box store last night when I went in for a new hose. They were $5 and in little cups and it was too cute to say no to, haha. 

I got this guy as a double when I lived in NH because I was so palm-starved, and prior to getting it, I’d always hated majesties since they were so common place and I felt like I was too “cool” to get something so common. I was dumb. After separating mine, one didn’t do so well and months later I ended up giving up on it, but one has doubled in size in roughly a year. I love the thing and can’t wait until I have a yard and can stick it in the ground. Once they get tall, they rival coconuts with his tropical they look, and given that they’re dirt cheap, I plan to stuff these all around my future property. 

4F1440CD-326D-4071-8036-10414597D516.thumb.jpeg.c60e15161cbd6dde939ccbb4f1de719d.jpeg

• Like 6

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

4 hours ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

How cold did they take?

About -2C (28F). About 8 hrs below zero Celsius (32F).

I really like majesty palms for their very tropical look, self cleaning habit and their ability to take the freezes and frosts that my area dishes out from time to time. Just feed and water them and they will reward you. 

• Like 2

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

4 hours ago, Tyrone said:

About -2C (28F). About 8 hrs below zero Celsius (32F).

Much damage?

Mine have seen zero damage at 29F. 

They are a legit 9B palm at least from my experience in California. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

How cold did they take?

They’re pretty cold tolerant. The ones in this area survived ~25f back in 2010. 

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

20 hours ago, Looking Glass said:

NickJames, I follow your posts and the work you've done on your place by that lake, and I always think to myself, "I bet a big, fat majesty would be happy in some wet spot in that back area".  

Not sure exactly of your micro-climate, but they do take a little cold?  Don't they?  ...Nice tropical leaves and a big, fat trunk.   

Love your updates.  Great to see a transformed property.    

Well I already have a cocos, wodyetia, etc LOL...not worried about cold. But yes, it would probably do better than most :) 

Perhaps I’ll plant one tomorrow. 

stay tuned!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The bushy yellow guy is Groot. I bought him when I first moved into this apartment - Groot was my first plant and it's his fault my office and apartment are jungles. 

The taller one is Groot Junior. I dunno why he's so tall and leggy and Groot Senior is so short and bushy. They're both big box store Costa Farms plants. Jr has a couple bamboo stakes since he falls over every time we have any real wind. 

Message_1616891593504.jpg

Message_1616891424115.jpg

Edited by JohnAndSancho
Edited
  • Like 6

By chance yesterday I happened to spot these two small, trunking Ravenea rivularis in Carmichael, just east of Sacramento. Not sure how long they've been there. Perhaps when planted at this stage they can tolerate the cold, wet winters in interior NorCal? Looks like they do need more water and fertilizer though.

Ravenea_rivularis.png

• Like 5

6 hours ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

Much damage?

Slight yellowing of exposed fronds and a bit of damage to leaf tips as the picture shows if you look closely, but nothing the palms couldn’t handle. 

• Like 1

Here’s a majesty in New Orleans. There’s a few large ones I know of in the city. They have survived temperatures in the high teens. I have had them here in central Louisiana with no protection for a few years, survived lows of 19 with complete defoliation. We hit 12 this year, doubt they survived. 

5A07D573-C316-4ACB-AB64-B5CE22328CEF.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ShadowNight030 said:

Here’s a majesty in New Orleans. There’s a few large ones I know of in the city. They have survived temperatures in the high teens. I have had them here in central Louisiana with no protection for a few years, survived lows of 19 with complete defoliation. We hit 12 this year, doubt they survived. 

Wow that’s ashame. That palm looks battle scarred too. Sad to see it go out like a warrior. But still. Surviving 19 degrees is amazing.

Just now, James B said:

Wow that’s ashame. That palm looks battle scarred too. Sad to see it go out like a warrior. But still. Surviving 19 degrees is amazing.

We hit 12 in central LA. New Orleans was not badly affected by the great freezes of 2021, only hitting around 27/26. It probably is doing just fine. 

57 minutes ago, ShadowNight030 said:

Probably not getting pampered by the side of the road, and getting hammered by cold, and keeps on reaching for the sky.  They give you a lot, in exchange for little.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Hillizard said:

By chance yesterday I happened to spot these two small, trunking Ravenea rivularis in Carmichael, just east of Sacramento. Not sure how long they've been there. Perhaps when planted at this stage they can tolerate the cold, wet winters in interior NorCal? Looks like they do need more water and fertilizer though.

Ravenea_rivularis.png

East of Sac? Damn they’ve seen some cold.

3 hours ago, ShadowNight030 said:

Crazy! That one has clearly taken a beating over the years with all the scarring but hell, they’re troopers.

It seems like they start burning in the mid to high 20’s, but have very strong spear hardiness. I’m curious if their burn threshold lowers even more as they start getting pretty tall.

34 minutes ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

East of Sac? Damn they’ve seen some cold.

Yes... but at least these two are planted in a southern exposure!;)

4 hours ago, ShadowNight030 said:

I bet that was flooded for ages by Hurricane Katrina.

• Like 1

This is my largest Ravenea rivularis, in the ground since ~1994. It gets the benefit of a/c runoff and grew much bigger/faster than its sibling. I believe this may be the largest majesty in Cape Coral. Most people don't water or fertilize theirs, which grow stunted and eventually croak. They require a lot of food and water.

Ravenea rivularis, 2021, Cape Coral, FL

1113043700_Ravenearivularis0103-28-21.thumb.JPG.d9cfb5f95af059f26514c22b6b664693.JPG1302461048_Ravenearivularis0203-28-21.thumb.JPG.54e1961df38f6a4d2c0cadda72d5bd45.JPG1570939055_Ravenearivularis0303-28-21.thumb.JPG.9d15027d267a7432ce21a77fda35388a.JPG

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

7 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

This is my largest Ravenea rivularis, in the ground since ~1994. It gets the benefit of a/c runoff and grew much bigger/faster than its sibling. I believe this may be the largest majesty in Cape Coral. Most people don't water or fertilize theirs, which grow stunted and eventually croak. They require a lot of food and water.

Ravenea rivularis, 2021, Cape Coral, FL

Hi Meg. I keep my potted little ones moist - do you think Groot (my yellow one above) just needs more food to turn darker green again? I did the whole newbie thing, and bought lots of stuff - I've got Jobes palm spikes, Jobes organic plant fertilizer, liquid fish emulsion, and Carl Pool palm food. I've been mixing fish emulsion and some Superthrive in every other watering for most of my plants. This one keeps growing but he's short, bushy, and yellow instead of tall and dark green. Gave him a spoonful of Carl Pool yesterday too. 

Edited by JohnAndSancho
Edited