Darold Petty

Ready for a bit of good news ?

Palm Tree Jim

What a beautiful island!

redant

Very cool place, just another reason to hate rats

Darold Petty

The top of Mt. Gower is one of the most magical places I have ever been,   (and I've been to a lot of exotic locales). 

My mistake during my first visit was to stay only three nights on the island.  Next time I will visit for a week !   :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hilo Jason
27 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

The top of Mt. Gower is one of the most magical places I have ever been,   (and I've been to a lot of exotic locales). 

My mistake during my first visit was to stay only three nights on the island.  Next time I will visit for a week !   :)

I agree with Darold. The top of Mt Gower is unlike any place I have ever visited. 

Our trip was 5 nights but we lost a night on the front end due to bad weather and the plane could not land so we were stuck in Sydney for the night. I want to back for 10 days or maybe longer so I can take my time, hike every trail, snorkel, and just relax. 

I would say that Lord Howe is the closest I’ve ever felt to a true paradise due to the lack of people.  It really is a special place. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tyrone

That is awesome news Darold. When I was there in 2018 I must have walked virtually every trail on the island and was amazed at how little seed was on the lower elevations. I think I saw only a small handful of Howea belmoreana seed on the whole island. I did see many eaten out green seeds of belmoreana on the walk up to Mt Gower. There was plenty of forsteriana seed especially in the manmade plantation areas. Hedyscepe seed and Leppidorrachis seed did exist on top at Mt Gower, but if that seed is now even more prolific then LHI should just thrive. Very good news indeed. Give it 10 years and it should start to look like it used too before anyone alive now would have seen it. There was a lot of resistance to the baiting by locals but I bet they’re on board now. You can grow your veggies now and no rats will eat them while they are ripening. 

• Like 2

mfoster

Hi Darold,

On 22nd April I will be on top of Mt Gower ! Deb and I and another Hobart palm couple, Ted and Marg, are making the pilgrimage to LHI next month , and pursuant to your advice we will be there for a week.
I have fond memories of your last visit here in Tasmania  and that chilly visit with Troy to the land of the richea pandanifolia.

cheers

Mike

Darold Petty

Welcome to Palmtalk !  Great to hear of your trip, Mike !!   :greenthumb: 

enigma99

Thanks for sharing. Now if I could only figure out how to kill my own roof rats in my palms...

• Upvote 1

Tyrone
22 hours ago, mfoster said:

Hi Darold,

On 22nd April I will be on top of Mt Gower ! Deb and I and another Hobart palm couple, Ted and Marg, are making the pilgrimage to LHI next month , and pursuant to your advice we will be there for a week.
I have fond memories of your last visit here in Tasmania  and that chilly visit with Troy to the land of the richea pandanifolia.

cheers

Mike

Enjoy your trip. The place is incredible. I didn’t know that LHI had reopened. We were due to be there April last year but Covid19 had other ideas. 

Tyrone
14 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Thanks for sharing. Now if I could only figure out how to kill my own roof rats in my palms...

A python, a gun, or both. 

• Like 1

WaianaeCrider

Similar rodent eradication was done on some of the N.W. Hawaiian atolls.  I think it worked pretty well but there was a big debate about rain washing the poison into the ocean and killing fish.  Don't remember the outcome on the controversy

Tassie_Troy1971
On 3/26/2021 at 4:04 AM, Darold Petty said:

What wonderful news to see that Rat population completely  gone.

Yes we needed a few more nights on the Island

March 2022 - Lets return Darold !  

• Like 1

ExperimentalGrower

Awesome!!