IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ready for a bit of good news ?

Darold Petty

The top of Mt. Gower is one of the most magical places I have ever been,   (and I've been to a lot of exotic locales). 

My mistake during my first visit was to stay only three nights on the island.  Next time I will visit for a week !   :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

27 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

The top of Mt. Gower is one of the most magical places I have ever been,   (and I've been to a lot of exotic locales). 

My mistake during my first visit was to stay only three nights on the island.  Next time I will visit for a week !   :)

I agree with Darold. The top of Mt Gower is unlike any place I have ever visited. 

Our trip was 5 nights but we lost a night on the front end due to bad weather and the plane could not land so we were stuck in Sydney for the night. I want to back for 10 days or maybe longer so I can take my time, hike every trail, snorkel, and just relax. 

I would say that Lord Howe is the closest I’ve ever felt to a true paradise due to the lack of people.  It really is a special place. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That is awesome news Darold. When I was there in 2018 I must have walked virtually every trail on the island and was amazed at how little seed was on the lower elevations. I think I saw only a small handful of Howea belmoreana seed on the whole island. I did see many eaten out green seeds of belmoreana on the walk up to Mt Gower. There was plenty of forsteriana seed especially in the manmade plantation areas. Hedyscepe seed and Leppidorrachis seed did exist on top at Mt Gower, but if that seed is now even more prolific then LHI should just thrive. Very good news indeed. Give it 10 years and it should start to look like it used too before anyone alive now would have seen it. There was a lot of resistance to the baiting by locals but I bet they’re on board now. You can grow your veggies now and no rats will eat them while they are ripening. 

• Like 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hi Darold,

On 22nd April I will be on top of Mt Gower ! Deb and I and another Hobart palm couple, Ted and Marg, are making the pilgrimage to LHI next month , and pursuant to your advice we will be there for a week.
I have fond memories of your last visit here in Tasmania  and that chilly visit with Troy to the land of the richea pandanifolia.

cheers

Mike

Welcome to Palmtalk !  Great to hear of your trip, Mike !!   :greenthumb: 

San Francisco, California

Thanks for sharing. Now if I could only figure out how to kill my own roof rats in my palms...

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, mfoster said:

Hi Darold,

On 22nd April I will be on top of Mt Gower ! Deb and I and another Hobart palm couple, Ted and Marg, are making the pilgrimage to LHI next month , and pursuant to your advice we will be there for a week.
I have fond memories of your last visit here in Tasmania  and that chilly visit with Troy to the land of the richea pandanifolia.

cheers

Mike

Enjoy your trip. The place is incredible. I didn’t know that LHI had reopened. We were due to be there April last year but Covid19 had other ideas. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

14 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Thanks for sharing. Now if I could only figure out how to kill my own roof rats in my palms...

A python, a gun, or both. 

• Like 1

Similar rodent eradication was done on some of the N.W. Hawaiian atolls.  I think it worked pretty well but there was a big debate about rain washing the poison into the ocean and killing fish.  Don't remember the outcome on the controversy

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

On 3/26/2021 at 4:04 AM, Darold Petty said:

What wonderful news to see that Rat population completely  gone.

Yes we needed a few more nights on the Island

March 2022 - Lets return Darold !  

• Like 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate