IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Acrocomia crispa germination

Rd003

Recently acquired some A. crispa seeds and cracked the outer shell (I’ve heard it helps shave lots of time off germination). Does anyone have success with any specific methods or know how the endocarps themselves like to be treated? Any advice  would be much appreciated!

If seeds are fresh, I've germinated A. crispa in less than a month, in hot summer heat. They are not at all Like other Acrocomia seeds (which take years).  That's why I keep calling mine Gastrococcus.

• Upvote 1

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

13 hours ago, Rd003 said:

Recently acquired some A. crispa seeds and cracked the outer shell (I’ve heard it helps shave lots of time off germination). Does anyone have success with any specific methods or know how the endocarps themselves like to be treated? Any advice  would be much appreciated!

I had access to minimal seeds and I tried cracking the shell and just planting.  The only one that germinated for me was an uncracked seed.  After cracking I noticed that they all floated so they might not have been good in the first place.  Like Charlene, mine germinated in the heat of the summer after about a month.

Jon Sunder

Got 12 seeds from RPS in December 2018. Let them soak in water for nine months (till Sept 2019) before doing anything with them (did not expect any success). Used pliers and a hammer to remove the thick shells and sowed the endocarps in potting soil. Being Hawaii, temperatures moderate, never hot or cold. Two germinated, one in 21/2 months and another in 6 months. Both now individually potted up and growing well.

• Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

• 2 years later...

Wanted to add to this for posterity.

I got 35 A. Crispa seeds from @Bigfish a few weeks ago.  I didn't initially soak as I wanted the shells to be as hard as possible.  I cracked all 35 by holding with a pair of vice grips and taking some measured whacks with a trim hammer.  I nicked a few unfortunately, but didn't outright smash any.  Afterwards, I soaked overnight in tap water, then briefly soaked in hydrogen peroxide, before laying on top of a "sanitized" (microwaved) bed of damp perlite.  The first 2 nights they sat on top of my cable box, after that they went into my shed (we are still getting 90 degree days here just south of Houston).  They went into the perlite on 9/29 and I noticed the first few popping yesterday 10/5, so only 6 days until germination.

20231006_180715.jpg

• Like 3