Sign in to follow this  
Rd003

Acrocomia crispa germination

Rd003

Recently acquired some A. crispa seeds and cracked the outer shell (I’ve heard it helps shave lots of time off germination). Does anyone have success with any specific methods or know how the endocarps themselves like to be treated? Any advice  would be much appreciated!

NatureGirl

If seeds are fresh, I've germinated A. crispa in less than a month, in hot summer heat. They are not at all Like other Acrocomia seeds (which take years).  That's why I keep calling mine Gastrococcus.

• Upvote 1

Fusca
13 hours ago, Rd003 said:

Recently acquired some A. crispa seeds and cracked the outer shell (I’ve heard it helps shave lots of time off germination). Does anyone have success with any specific methods or know how the endocarps themselves like to be treated? Any advice  would be much appreciated!

I had access to minimal seeds and I tried cracking the shell and just planting.  The only one that germinated for me was an uncracked seed.  After cracking I noticed that they all floated so they might not have been good in the first place.  Like Charlene, mine germinated in the heat of the summer after about a month.

mike in kurtistown

Got 12 seeds from RPS in December 2018. Let them soak in water for nine months (till Sept 2019) before doing anything with them (did not expect any success). Used pliers and a hammer to remove the thick shells and sowed the endocarps in potting soil. Being Hawaii, temperatures moderate, never hot or cold. Two germinated, one in 21/2 months and another in 6 months. Both now individually potted up and growing well.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      I pulled some of the purple seeds off my Burretiokentia hapala, cleaned them and dropped them in a zip lock baggy with some damp perlite and sphagnum moss.  I'm using a little heat, wrapping the bag in foil and leaving it on top of my water heater).  I'm curious what typical sprouting time is on this species if anyone has used this technique with this species. 

• Will
      By Will
      Hey,
      I planted some Sabal minor and Jubaea chilensis seeds around 2 months ago. They havent germinated yet, thats why I would like to ask if I did something wrong. Is it the way I try to germinate them? Maybe the moisture in the box? Do they need light to germinate?
      So many questions 

• GardnerDylan6a
      By GardnerDylan6a
      Hello I was wondering if anyone knows a good way to germinate Ptychosperma elegans seeds, thanks
    • GardnerDylan6a
      By GardnerDylan6a
      Hello I have some sun dried Queen palm seeds with what looks like the seed pulp still attached and I was wondering if anyone knows what my next step should be to germinate them.

• GardnerDylan6a
      By GardnerDylan6a
      Hello I was wondering if people could share how they germinate W. Filifera and Robusta seeds, I am wondering what the ideal temperature for germination is, as I have my Filifera seeds in a pot at room temperature with the soil at around 67 F, will they germinate?