Sign in to follow this  
Palmistry

New licuala grandis, how does she look?

Palmistry

Hi!! So I have a new licuala grandis that I am absolutely in love with. I live in NYC, so I have kept the humidifier running next to her and she sits in a bright room, but receives only indirect light.

I’ve been wanting to repot her with the Pal Meir soil mix, especially from what I’ve been reading on here but am anxious to do so given that it arrived only a few days ago. My plan is to let it settle in and then repot in a couple months (maybe in early June). The plant looks like it came in regular potting soil.

I am posting pictures of the leaves. Overall the plant looks bright and healthy but I recently noticed some yellow spots and small brown holes emerging on 2 of the fronds and wanted to see if anyone had any feedback. Thank you!!

T6WfxD8.pngXgg7jCR.jpgFIO6Ndm.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Frond-friend42

Hmmm. Overall she looks great but those spots indicate a problem. Hopefully some nutrient deficiency and not any infestation. Yellow spots...maybe potassium?  Hopefully a licuala expert can weigh in on this.  What kind of soil is she in? 

Philly J
5 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Hmmm. Overall she looks great but those spots indicate a problem. Hopefully some nutrient deficiency and not any infestation. Yellow spots...maybe potassium?  Hopefully a licuala expert can weigh in on this.  What kind of soil is she in? 

I think you are right and I know @PalmatierMeg would know for sure, but I was always under the impression that potassium deficiency was translucent or like yellow leaf spot and magnesium deficiency was spotting at the base of the leaf and then spots all the way down to the petiole, and that was across all genus, but I could be wrong about that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

chad2468emr
On 3/24/2021 at 7:31 PM, Palmistry said:

Xgg7jCR.jpg

My grandis had a ton of leaf spots like this when I got it, and after fertilizing with some Osmocote Plus (the one that has micros AND macros) + repotting into better soil, they went right away on newer leaves. The old leaves still have it, but this is due to some type of micro deficiency. 

Edited by chad2468emr

Palmistry
6 hours ago, chad2468emr said:

My grandis had a ton of leaf spots like this when I got it, and after fertilizing with some Osmocote Plus (the one that has micros AND macros) + repotting into better soil, they went right away on newer leaves. The old leaves still have it, but this is due to some type of micro deficiency. 

Hi! @chad2468emr How long did you have your palm for before repotting? She’s currently in regular potting soil (arrived last friday) so I am planning to let it stay in the soil for at least another couple weeks before repotting. Also what soil mixture did you use to repot? I know the Pal Meir mix is the most popular and I was thinking of using that (albeit I’m in the US so planning to use Turface instead of Seramis). I’ll check out Osmocote Plus, thanks!!

Edited by Palmistry

Palmistry
19 hours ago, Philly J said:

I think you are right and I know @PalmatierMeg would know for sure, but I was always under the impression that potassium deficiency was translucent or like yellow leaf spot and magnesium deficiency was spotting at the base of the leaf and then spots all the way down to the petiole, and that was across all genus, but I could be wrong about that.

Thank you!! I think I’ll try to manage the nutrient deficiency. I have it in regular potting mix @Frond-friend42. She arrived a week ago, so I am thinking of letting her settle and then repotting in a few weeks (likely going to use the Pal Meir mix, but with Turface instead of Seramis since I’m in the US). Thank you!

Edited by Palmistry

Philly J
1 hour ago, Palmistry said:

Thank you!! I think I’ll try to manage the nutrient deficiency. I have it in regular potting mix @Frond-friend42. She arrived a week ago, so I am thinking of letting her settle and then repotting in a few weeks (likely going to use the Pal Meir mix, but with Turface instead of Seramis since I’m in the US). Thank you!

It’s absolutely stunning regardless, im very jealous haha

• Upvote 1

Palmistry

Thank you @Philly Ji bought her off of etsy from 2toneplants!