IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New licuala grandis, how does she look?

Palmistry

Hi!! So I have a new licuala grandis that I am absolutely in love with. I live in NYC, so I have kept the humidifier running next to her and she sits in a bright room, but receives only indirect light.

I’ve been wanting to repot her with the Pal Meir soil mix, especially from what I’ve been reading on here but am anxious to do so given that it arrived only a few days ago. My plan is to let it settle in and then repot in a couple months (maybe in early June). The plant looks like it came in regular potting soil.

I am posting pictures of the leaves. Overall the plant looks bright and healthy but I recently noticed some yellow spots and small brown holes emerging on 2 of the fronds and wanted to see if anyone had any feedback. Thank you!!

T6WfxD8.pngXgg7jCR.jpgFIO6Ndm.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hmmm. Overall she looks great but those spots indicate a problem. Hopefully some nutrient deficiency and not any infestation. Yellow spots...maybe potassium?  Hopefully a licuala expert can weigh in on this.  What kind of soil is she in? 

5 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Hmmm. Overall she looks great but those spots indicate a problem. Hopefully some nutrient deficiency and not any infestation. Yellow spots...maybe potassium?  Hopefully a licuala expert can weigh in on this.  What kind of soil is she in? 

I think you are right and I know @PalmatierMeg would know for sure, but I was always under the impression that potassium deficiency was translucent or like yellow leaf spot and magnesium deficiency was spotting at the base of the leaf and then spots all the way down to the petiole, and that was across all genus, but I could be wrong about that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/24/2021 at 7:31 PM, Palmistry said:

Xgg7jCR.jpg

My grandis had a ton of leaf spots like this when I got it, and after fertilizing with some Osmocote Plus (the one that has micros AND macros) + repotting into better soil, they went right away on newer leaves. The old leaves still have it, but this is due to some type of micro deficiency. 

Edited by chad2468emr

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

6 hours ago, chad2468emr said:

My grandis had a ton of leaf spots like this when I got it, and after fertilizing with some Osmocote Plus (the one that has micros AND macros) + repotting into better soil, they went right away on newer leaves. The old leaves still have it, but this is due to some type of micro deficiency. 

Hi! @chad2468emr How long did you have your palm for before repotting? She’s currently in regular potting soil (arrived last friday) so I am planning to let it stay in the soil for at least another couple weeks before repotting. Also what soil mixture did you use to repot? I know the Pal Meir mix is the most popular and I was thinking of using that (albeit I’m in the US so planning to use Turface instead of Seramis). I’ll check out Osmocote Plus, thanks!!

Edited by Palmistry

19 hours ago, Philly J said:

I think you are right and I know @PalmatierMeg would know for sure, but I was always under the impression that potassium deficiency was translucent or like yellow leaf spot and magnesium deficiency was spotting at the base of the leaf and then spots all the way down to the petiole, and that was across all genus, but I could be wrong about that.

Thank you!! I think I’ll try to manage the nutrient deficiency. I have it in regular potting mix @Frond-friend42. She arrived a week ago, so I am thinking of letting her settle and then repotting in a few weeks (likely going to use the Pal Meir mix, but with Turface instead of Seramis since I’m in the US). Thank you!

Edited by Palmistry

1 hour ago, Palmistry said:

Thank you!! I think I’ll try to manage the nutrient deficiency. I have it in regular potting mix @Frond-friend42. She arrived a week ago, so I am thinking of letting her settle and then repotting in a few weeks (likely going to use the Pal Meir mix, but with Turface instead of Seramis since I’m in the US). Thank you!

It’s absolutely stunning regardless, im very jealous haha

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Did you ever find out (for certain) what was the problem? Mine has very similar symptoms and can’t find a lot about it. Not sure whether you’ll read this but can’t hurt to try 🙃

Cheers,

Elio

@Eliothe small round translucent spots look like either a potassium deficiency or maybe spider mites.  Here's my notes on deficiencies, it might help diagnose your palm:

• Nitrogen - Older fronds turn light green uniformly, new fronds remain dark green until deficiency is really severe
  • Potassium - Older fronds get translucent yellow/orange or dead spots on leaves, especially at the tips. Caryota and Arenga get random splotched dead spots in leaves. Sometimes tips are curled or frizzled. Always starts at tips of oldest leaves, moving inwards
  • Magnesium - Yellow linear bands on leaves but generally transitions to solid green at the base of each leaf. Never causes leaf tip necrosis
  • Iron - Many times caused by overly mucky soil and root rot. Starts with new spear leaves with yellow-green or even white, possibly with spots of green.
  • Manganese - Lengthwise necrotic streaks in leaves with dead and curled leaf tips. Similar to bands showing Magnesium deficiency
  • Boron - Bent or necrotic or distorted leaf tips, distorted or bent spear, bands of dead spots on new fans, spears that won't fully open
  • Water - Underwatering brown at the edges first, later followed by yellowing of the whole leaf. Overwatering can be drooping fronds turning yellowish and losing color
  • Dolomitic Lime or Azomite - Magnesium Carbonate – reduces acidity/raises pH – slower release and adds Magnesium, helps avoid Potassium deficiencies in Cuban Copernicias. 5Lb per palm on full-size Copernicias and a bit less on Kentiopsis Oliviformis
  • Garden Lime - Calcium Carbonate – fast release but works well. 5Lb per palm on full-size Copernicias and a bit less on Kentiopsis Oliviformis
  • Upvote 1