IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

As a side note, I brought everything in except the Washy last night. Apparently one of the pots still had water in the bottom (most of my plants are in Bloem Lucca pots that have a water reservoir in the bottom) and I didn't notice. Slipped, fell, cracked a rib. I hope these green jerks reward me with all kinds of growth in spring and summer. 

Also, looking at the posts from last spring, blows my mind how much some of these have grown - and also how little L. Weddellanium has grown. 

Also here's another Sancho pic for @teddytn

20151228_012923-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, wimmie said:

I just bought myself three variegated Chameadorea's elegans!

chameadorea bont.jpg

Awesome! How is your giant hydroponic Kentia doing?

• Upvote 1

On 2/24/2022 at 9:46 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

As a side note, I brought everything in except the Washy last night. Apparently one of the pots still had water in the bottom (most of my plants are in Bloem Lucca pots that have a water reservoir in the bottom) and I didn't notice. Slipped, fell, cracked a rib. I hope these green jerks reward me with all kinds of growth in spring and summer. 

Also, looking at the posts from last spring, blows my mind how much some of these have grown - and also how little L. Weddellanium has grown. 

Also here's another Sancho pic for @teddytn

20151228_012923-1.jpg

Looking mischievous lol

• Upvote 1

My south window is looking pretty dialed these days :D I call it the 'Palm Gallery' and it helps me survive the Seattle winters.  

Palm Window 1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 5

How do you guys water all your palms indoors, I want to loose my mind when I got to water mine and the mess!!!! :floor:

11 hours ago, PsyPalm said:

My south window is looking pretty dialed these days

You are much more that just a palm enthusiast.  That is straight up art right there.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

11 hours ago, ZPalms said:

How do you guys water all your palms indoors, I want to loose my mind when I got to water mine and the mess!!!! :floor:

Saucers and bottom watering pots. I top water, but as long as i don't overfill, no mess. I empty the saucers into my giant cat palm. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Saucers and bottom watering pots. I top water, but as long as i don't overfill, no mess. I empty the saucers into my giant cat palm. 

my saucers aren't that deep for bottom watering :wacko:

16 hours ago, ZPalms said:

my saucers aren't that deep for bottom watering :wacko:

Nah, I have saucers under the pots that aren't bottom watering. 

Most of my pots are Bloem Lucca or these cheapie little jobs I found at Target. 

@GoatLockerGuns thanks so much!! I'm obsessed with palm lighting, really brings them to life :D

@ZPalms I bring them all into the bathtub, kind of a lot of work but I find it kind of calming/meditative so I don't mind haha

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, PsyPalm said:

@GoatLockerGuns thanks so much!! I'm obsessed with palm lighting, really brings them to life :D

@ZPalms I bring them all into the bathtub, kind of a lot of work but I find it kind of calming/meditative so I don't mind haha

I've been meaning to get all my palms in the bath tub but I've been neglectful cause it tires me out, I'm probably gonna get a bin and dunk my palms in it, not fully submerging them but putting a mesh on the top of the bag planters so the soil doesn't float away and letting them completely soak in the water because I let them go bone dry :asleep:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2022 at 8:03 AM, ZPalms said:

I've been meaning to get all my palms in the bath tub but I've been neglectful cause it tires me out, I'm probably gonna get a bin and dunk my palms in it, not fully submerging them but putting a mesh on the top of the bag planters so the soil doesn't float away and letting them completely soak in the water because I let them go bone dry :asleep:

Simple buckets work too, especially wider types.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i have been using my backpack sprayer (with just water) and taking my time

going around to all of them and then hit them all again maybe a few times

• Like 2

1 hour ago, amh said:

Simple buckets work too, especially wider types.

My palms always go bone dry and I have to dunk the bags in water to let them soak up the water like a sponge, It's exhausting :wacko:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

My palms always go bone dry and I have to dunk the bags in water to let them soak up the water like a sponge, It's exhausting :wacko:

Don't wanna be a jerk but that says you aren't being proactive. I didn't have to dunk anything after Snowmageddon. If you don't wait forever to water this wouldn't be an issue. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Don't wanna be a jerk but that says you aren't being proactive. I didn't have to dunk anything after Snowmageddon. If you don't wait forever to water this wouldn't be an issue. 

I only wait too long cause I have nothing indoors to catch all the water I need to pour out from saucers if I had any and it would go on my floor which is carpet if it ran out the bag, I do have trash bag under them to keep them directly off my carpet and nursery bags are terrible to keep in a bedroom :indifferent:

Luckily for me its spring and they can go outside and I'll give them a proper water and be able to maintain it better outside since I can make a mess

Edited by ZPalms

Home Depot has cheap clear plastic saucers. I've got some under my Lytocaryum Weddellanium that were 49 cents each

• Like 1

This does take time, but part of it. Over the winter down in the plant room, I kept a big plastic tote and a smaller plastic tray. Load 4 bigger palms into the tote, water and let them chill for a little bit while I put 6 or 7 smaller palms into the tray, water and let them chill. Then big palms come out and go  on a towel on the floor, and load it back up. Just put on some music, get in the groove, on a Saturday I would get through 100 plants like that in an hour, hour and a half.

Then all my bedroom squad (mostly agave and cactus) I water in the kitchen sink and put them on a towel on the kitchen table. Here’s agaves and yuccas on my kitchen table from last night as we speak. C069952D-E850-4718-A20E-2442E6F9A06A.thumb.jpeg.a530d70929f491189aa4f443b3cc808f.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Caught this after I uploaded the video. My indoor c. Cataractarum is also trying to flower. Indoor Squad and Patio Squad babies coming? 

20220414_200444_1.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Indoor Squad and Patio Squad babies coming? 

I believe all Chamaedorea are dioecious, so you'll need another one for any tangoing to take place.

Incidentally, your first Dracaena looks like D. fragrans ‘Hawaiian Sunshine’. The second is D. marginata.

Edited by PalmsandLiszt
  • Upvote 1

I don't know how you maintain a watering schedule for all of them, I'm the most terrible when it comes to watering but looking great!! B)

Edited by ZPalms

4 hours ago, PalmsandLiszt said:

I believe all Chamaedorea are dioecious, so you'll need another one for any tangoing to take place.

My cataractarum on my patio is flowering too

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can y'all tell if this C. Cataractarum is male or female? I thought this was another new frond and it stopped abruptly lol. 

IMG_20220613_183318.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So this is my last surviving C. Elegans. His name is Fat Bastard. If I had let things alone he'd still be in a pot with like 40 other plants, but he was dummy thicc so I have him his own pot. This is one of the first palms I bought, so he was in crap soil. When I pulled him out, the soil was so mucky his roots were only going horizontal and the drainage in his pot was clogged. Pretty sure it was Miracle Gro because I was a noob and didn't know better. Anyway. He's been repotted in a better draining mix, and I've fertilized the holy hell out of him so hopefully he outgrows the shelf on my entertainment center this year and returns to the proper dark green color. He's pushing a new spear so we'll see. 

IMG_20220626_000854.jpg

• Like 1

It's hot and I wanted to take a shower but this giant jerk ass is in there

IMG_20220628_204856.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

A buddy of mine just texted me and told me he bought his first palm - a Lowe's clearance rack cat palm. So of course I had to take another pic of mine to show him what a relatively neglected, indoor, underwatered cat palm looks like 2 years later. 

IMG_20220726_191242.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/10/2021 at 11:32 PM, PsyPalm said:

@JohnAndSancho Awesome walkthrough!  Your collection is amazing brother.  Anyone with 9 howeas in their apartment is alright by me :D

That new lyto is adorable, it looks really good on the floor in that dappled shade, 10/10 jungle vibes.

I ended up getting two of the 3 gal. lytos from Wekiva Foliage on Bonanza (https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Wedding-Palm-Live-Plant-in-a-3-Gallon-Growers-Pot-Lytocaryum-Weddellianum-/1059074336?goog_pla=1), they've quickly become two of my favorites.  The first one I bought seems to be a bit older than the second one, although both are full and beautiful.  After giving the first one a manicure it turned out to be solidly trunking which is really cool to see.  I had to trim a good deal of it's fronds as they got pretty beat up from shipping/shock.  The younger one arrived in much better condition though and still has most of the fronds it shipped with.  The natural glossy shine of their pinnae is truly stunning, pictures don't do these palms justice.

Awesome collection dude!!

IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2521.jpg

These white pots are looking gorgeous:)

• Like 1

@julie42 hey thanks!  White ceramic is my favorite look for palms with a pot size 10" and up, if only they weren't so expensive lol.  I've been experimenting with zisha purple clay bonsai pots for some of my smaller sizes, the dark brown clay makes for a really nice aesthetic.  I also use fine black lava rock as a soil topper, it really enhances the overall presentation.  I attached some pics of both types of pot for reference, (h. verschaffeltii, d. lutescans, c.elegans, and both r. excelsas are in the zisha purple clay).  Cheers!

kentia1.jpeg

multifida 1.jpeg

lyto1.jpeg

kentia 2.jpeg

spindle 1.jpeg

dypsis 1.jpeg

parlor 1.jpeg

lady 2.jpeg

lady 1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

This sounds stupid to me but my giant Cat Palm is outgrowing it's lighted corner. I've had to move it almost 3 feet from the walls, I'm constantly having to turn it so the new fronds don't sunburn under the grow light, and this frond in particular always ends up in my pocket when I'm leaving for work and it's tickling Sancho's ears when he tells me it's time to make the sausage. I still can't believe the amount of growth this thing has put on, indoors. It's a monster. 

IMG_20220908_182227.jpg

• 2 months later...

Pretty sure spider mites have made their appearance on my gigantic c. Cataractarum. With my new job I'm working 12 hour days 6 days a week and Indoor Squad hasn't been receiving their regular indoor misting, plus I'm depressed and lazy and lots of stuff that could have gone back outside, simply hasn't. Plus it's that fun time in Texas where we run the AC all day and the heater all night. Saw some webbing, coulda been spider mites, coulda been an actual spider and can confirm something but me. But we're yellowing.  So we got a handful of Carl Pool and a shower. 

IMG_20221205_201232.jpg

IMG_20221205_201315.jpg

Tough to tell since they are all grouped so close, left to right:  Syagrus Romanzoffiana/Chamaedorea Cataractarum/Wodyetia Bifurcata/Livistona Chinensis/Hyophorbe Verschaffeltii/Chrysalidocarpus Lutescens/Washingtonia Filibusta/Phoenix Roebelenii 🥰

C38D2328-BA10-497C-B55A-5B9CCC6DAE01.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1