IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Splitting Troubles

JLM

I split up my Majesties and Pygmy Dates a while ago. I spear marked some of the palms that did not appear to be moving, and yesterday i tugged on the spear of the smaller Majesty and it pulled. I also pulled on the spear of one of the Pygmy Dates and it pulled as well along with a couple fronds. The Pygmy Date when it came out, the bottom was black, though with the Majesty it was just soft and white still. I sprayed Copper Fungicide into the Majesty, but im not sure what to do about the Pygmy Date. I will wait with the Majesty, as the bottom still feels solid so there may be *some* hope with that one, but the other one i just dont know. What do i do?

Edited by JLM

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Might still be in shock which could have contributed to the fungal spear pull or the shock opened the plant to a new infection, how long ago was the transplant?

• Like 1

If i remember correctly the split happened early-mid February to give them time to recover before planting in Spring. They have been watered well, no fertilizer for right now.
These were originally bought as a clump of 4 back in May of last year, they were planted and they took off. They were beautiful and green pretty much all summer, then i dug the clump up and potted it in place of a Sabal palmetto that eventually died. The clump was split in early-mid February right before the big Texas freeze. They have been put outside in the sun on warm days, and brought inside on cold nights/days. I should mention that they were damaged by frost before the split, one night temps dropped a couple degrees below the forecast and they were damaged. If the one dies, it wouldnt be a huge loss as i still have the other three which are growing slow but definitely growing. All will be planted this Spring.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

2 hours ago, JLM said:

They were beautiful and green pretty much all summer, then i dug the clump up and potted it in place of a Sabal palmetto that eventually died.

Did you bleach the pot?

Greetings, Luís

1 hour ago, lzorrito said:

Did you bleach the pot?

Never thought to bleach the pot. The palmetto i dug up at a neighbor's house which is the reason for its death. 

Majesty Update: There are maggots inside the Majesty. I'm assuming it's done for. Anything i can do to save it? Maybe cutting it down, or is it too small for that? Will get pics here in a minute.

Pic: 

20210322_221740.jpg

4 hours ago, JLM said:

Majesty Update: There are maggots inside the Majesty. I'm assuming it's done for. Anything i can do to save it? Maybe cutting it down, or is it too small for that? Will get pics here in a minute.

Soft tissue palm...it's a goner. Replace it.

R. rivularis are very prone to crown issues. Did you mist it or did it get crown watered?

11 hours ago, JLM said:

Never thought to bleach the pot.

Fungus, spores, and others will remain in a used old/dead trouble palm pot. They're very opportunistic, so when given the chance they'll thrive again and you'll get issues.

• Like 1

Greetings, Luís

5 hours ago, lzorrito said:

Soft tissue palm...it's a goner. Replace it.

R. rivularis are very prone to crown issues. Did you mist it or did it get crown watered?

Fungus, spores, and others will remain in a used old/dead trouble palm pot. They're very opportunistic, so when given the chance they'll thrive again and you'll get issues.

What about the Pygmy Date? Do you think it will live? Ive been applying copper fungicide to both, but now ill only apply to the Pygmy Date if it has a chance to survive. I can get pics if needed.

16 minutes ago, JLM said:

What about the Pygmy Date? Do you think it will live? Ive been applying copper fungicide to both, but now ill only apply to the Pygmy Date if it has a chance to survive. I can get pics if needed.

Honestly, just by what you told about the spear pull, along with a couple fronds, and by the reported color, it doesn't worth the effort. Just replace it. Those are easy palms to get. Mind what led to the decay and stay focus in preventing it from now on.

Greetings, Luís

• 1 month later...

The Majesty survivor and the Pygmy Date survivor from both surgeries.

20210515_142843.jpg

20210515_143055.jpg

• Upvote 1