IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

'Page' Mandarin in 8b

Teegurr

As part of my warm 8b jungle project, I planted a 5ft 'Page' Mandarin. Does anyone know if this plant is viably hardy here? I'm in College Station, TX. 

BTW, the dog is a menace. He tore off all the fronds on my Washy robusta. He even now is trying to stick his head under the chicken wire (he succeeded) to chew on the trunk.

20210321_181148.jpg

20210321_181152.jpg

Edited by Teegurr

2 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Doggo needs some rawhide and deer antlers to chew. 

Thanks for the advice. He's been having some less tough milkbone gnaw bones and himalayan cheese. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Teegurr said:

Thanks for the advice. He's been having some less tough milkbone gnaw bones and himalayan cheese. 

I'm lucky I guess. The only time mine showed any interest at all in my palms is when I fertilized them with organic (read:poop) fertilizer. If anything he's jealous of the attention i pay to them. He's more focused on chasing women - that's why I named him Sancho. 

He also knows he's only allowed to pee on plants and trees in the ground. 

Edited by JohnAndSancho
Notes.
  • Upvote 1

Just now, JohnAndSancho said:

I'm lucky I guess. The only time mine showed any interest at all in my palms is when I fertilized them with organic (read:poop) fertilizer. If anything he's jealous of the attention i pay to them. He's more focused on chasing women - that's why I named him Sancho. 

Yeah, my dog has pulled out a hibiscus plant right after me planting it. It must be the attention. He also loves to rip open soil bags and eat the soil. Cool name! Mine is named Polo. The original owners named him Polar Bear.

• Upvote 1

Polo is a good boy, he's just young. Sancho is probably 8 or so. I got him from the shelter in Conroe in 2014. They named him "Frito." 

My latinx employees laughed so hard when they learned his name. Then they got to know him when we holed up at work during the snowstorm. It's still funny to them but now they know his name fits B) Sorry I've been 0 help with your tree lol

20200925_174445.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Your Mandarin is probably going to need a plastic sheet covered metal cage over it and a light bulb to survive come Winter.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mangosteen said:

Your Mandarin is probably going to need a plastic sheet covered metal cage over it and a light bulb to survive come Winter.

Correct.

I'll probably start an argument with this next statement, but I dont care. All grafted citrus without Poncirus trifoliata ancestry must be protected in any zone colder than 9A!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, amh said:

Correct.

I'll probably start an argument with this next statement, but I dont care. All grafted citrus without Poncirus trifoliata ancestry must be protected in any zone colder than 9A!

Including satsumas? If they are properly acclimated, they can do fine in a normal 8b winter. 

4 hours ago, Teegurr said:

Including satsumas? If they are properly acclimated, they can do fine in a normal 8b winter. 

I would any time you will get below 25, It doesn't take much, just a tarp and an incandescent light when it gets really cold.

From my experience; add 10 degrees to what the label says, and that is the real hardiness.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, amh said:

I would any time you will get below 25, It doesn't take much, just a tarp and an incandescent light when it gets really cold.

From my experience; add 10 degrees to what the label says, and that is the real hardiness.

Haha, it says 30 degrees. It's hardier than that.

• Like 1

Just now, Teegurr said:

Haha, it says 30 degrees. It's hardier than that.

A rare case of truth in advertising, just protect the tree when it will get cold. Page mandarins are usually rated as zone 9, I'm not sure about the genetics, but I believe it has a lot of orange.

Page orange/mandarin should be fine in 8b as long as it's on a good rootstock that promotes winter dormancy. This nursery near Tallahassee FL has some of the most accurate cold hardiness ratings that I've found out to be true with the various citrus I've grown in my yard. What I've found is that a mature tree may get some minor twig dieback/leaf drop with those lowest end zone temps but not enough to cause major dieback or death. Page Orange Tree — Just Fruits and Exotics

Another factor to consider is that the cold hardiness can be knocked back if the tree is in active growth mode when a sudden hard freeze comes after warm temps.

I'd protect while it's very young though if you're going to have temps in the low 20's to teens as it is also less cold hardy at this age. My citrus (navel orange, ponkan tangerine, meyer lemon) only had about another year of growth than yours when Jan 2010 hit with a low to 17 degrees. I protected them with loose blankets that blew off overnight in the wind. The trees defoliated with some twig dieback but actually came back just fine. It really is more a matter of protecting to keep them from getting setback as they are gaining size.

• Like 4