IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring 2021 Update (Zone 7b MD)

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Greetings!

Here’s a little update on my palms after this icy winter! According to Accuweather, our lowest temperature this year was 19°F

1) Trachycarpus Fortunei ‘Bulgaria’ - this was wrapped in a few layers of burlap. It looks great and no spear pull!

2) Sabal ‘Louisiana’ - this was unprotected other than some dead leaves that naturally gathered at the base. This looks stellar as well and it’s starting to get its palmate leaves!

3) Sabal Minor ‘McCurtain’ - unprotected; super slow but still growing! 

4) Sabal ‘Louisiana’ #2 - unprotected and exposed to the elements. This poor palm was buried in snow and sleet. The center spear even looked like it was reaching out of the snow for help at one point lolol. Despite this, he’s still trucking! I hope to see some palmate leaves this year!

5) Sabal Uresana - unprotected (other than dead leaves that ended up there naturally). I planted this purely as a hardiness experiment (which is the reason its close to the foundation). The newest spear is over a foot long and keeps the icy blue hue! Let’s see how long before it croaks

6) Sabal Palmetto ‘Mocksville’ - unprotected (dead leaves at base that got there naturally). This one is starting to look like a mini palmetto now! It’s got palmate leaves and I hope for more this summer! I can’t wait for costapalmate leaves to start forming! 

7) Trachycarpus Fortunei ‘Bulgaria’ #2 - protected with burlap. this palm is currently my favorite of the bunch! It’s leaves are getting big and no spear pull from the winter! I hope it starts really taking off this year!

26B2FBAF-EDEA-48C1-80C8-D0D41A2AD0F3.jpeg

9C1BAD9C-69C4-446D-BCD2-B6B1AA8DF3B5.jpeg

1C4626EF-ABF4-4C08-A08E-C22F1708D950.jpeg

1C8D0087-5612-4B30-950F-E7BF882593DD.jpeg

7054C7A9-2EBC-44AF-8DE7-D3D6CF209F1B.jpeg

FB2E2A7E-5A95-439A-9B02-786D46EF6258.jpeg

9132B5AE-ACA6-45F9-95A2-F113429B9639.jpeg

02F80879-CD6D-48C5-8B88-3E12F4A2A9E1.jpeg

410388FF-AA68-4218-8980-3FAF7F4451BA.jpeg

06FEEF5A-CC0F-4B23-9EDE-CA08F8E49D29.jpeg

771303DC-53DD-4AC1-9EBD-DB59AB5EA909.jpeg

75BE9B70-4CEA-4338-9772-8DD7559C4D51.jpeg

• Like 1

All look great! I have a feeling they will take off now spring is here. That S. uresana is awfully close to the house - they get very large and don't transplant well. Or do you expect it to succumb before it gets to that stage?

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

6 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

All look great! I have a feeling they will take off now spring is here. That S. uresana is awfully close to the house - they get very large and don't transplant well. Or do you expect it to succumb before it gets to that stage?

Pretty much yeah haha. It’s just an experiment to test a S. Uresana’s hardiness. I don’t expect it to get to trunking. Especially if we have a true zone 7 winter. This is all for research purposes :P

Great selection of palms.  Those minors should do great.  I have a sabal ' Mocksville' also and they are pretty hardy as seedlings.

• Like 1