IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Where can I find a container sabal palmetto?

Haddock

Hi I live near fort mill and I’ve been looking for sabal palmettos to buy, but I’m at a problem- I can only buy seeds ( I would just pick them off trees if I was that desperate) seedlings or mature ones. I was wondering if anyone knows a place to buy container palmettos ( 1-5 gallons) for a good price. Thanks.

Does home depot sell sabal palmetto? Might be worth a shot to get one later in the spring.

Nothing to say here. 

23 minutes ago, Haddock said:

Hi I live near fort mill and I’ve been looking for sabal palmettos to buy, but I’m at a problem- I can only buy seeds ( I would just pick them off trees if I was that desperate) seedlings or mature ones. I was wondering if anyone knows a place to buy container palmettos ( 1-5 gallons) for a good price. Thanks.

Maybe check Growers Outlet.

Nothing to say here. 

I would think you could find them in SC!
There are a few threads here from Myrtle Beach. 

Independent nurseries are usually your best bet.  Big box....maybe, but they seem to specialize in Washies, Trachies, Med Fan, Butia,  Dates and Queens. 
You may want to edit your post:  "Where can I find container Sabal Palmetto in South Carolina/North Carolina?"...You'll draw more attention....

Edited by PricklyPearSATC

2 hours ago, Haddock said:

They grow very very slowly in pots.

They don't transplant well as juveniles.

They transplant much better at about 5-6 feet of trunk.

So for these reasons you won't see them for sale in the size you're looking for from most nurseries & big box stores. Take too long to grow while taking space a more profitable plant could occupy. Also because they grow slow in pots they would have to sell for more than other plants similar in size so "good price" would be an issue. They're a bad bet for any guarantees when sold in juvenile sizes, virtually eliminating the possibility of being profitable.

They can be pot grown and planted as juveniles but you need to be very careful planting them so if you can find a hobbyist/backyard nursery that has grown them in pots that might be your best bet. Maybe post a "wanted" ad in the sale section here.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Haddock said:

Gary's Nursery in New Bern, NC sells sabal palmetto "bald head island" in three gallon.  I picked one up from there last summer and it has transplanted beautifully. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Haddock said:

You can try Gayland in Aiken, I've purchased from him a few years ago. Stand up guy. 

https://www.facebook.com/pennyspalms/

Edited by RJ

• 2 weeks later...

I would get an HC Palmetto . It takes 3 seasons to completely grow a full crown if you water well and fertilize twice a season . Some  HC Palmettos are not that large either . 

Here's the first day I planted this one last summer . You can see it has a lot of green in the crown . It basically had such a large rootball it started growing immediately . 

49974081171_8d21c426d4_o.thumb.jpg.59177ecb7bc27188a5ea8642aee442cc.jpg

Here it is after one season  of growth . I got this palm from a Wilmington , NC landscape company  , I believe they were call Loyd's Landscaping . They said that their palms come from northern Florida sources . 

It almost looks respectable after one season in the ground .

Will

IMG_0019.thumb.JPG.051d6b6f9b03e1ead19ca79f8f9cb907.JPG

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 1

I’ve only seen a small sabal palm in a contained once ever. I bought it from a palm nursery in Texas years ago but I’ve never seen them again at that nursery. It was a 1 gallon Sabal palmetto that grew like a weed. It’s huge now. 

anyways I bought a Sabal seedling off of eBay last month. It was $13 I think with shipping. It’s doing good in ground right now. I believe it shipped from NC. 

I am in the same boat, I am looking for Sabal Palmettos, but in the Houston area.

Edited by CiprianS

On 3/21/2021 at 9:06 PM, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

Gary's Nursery in New Bern, NC sells sabal palmetto "bald head island" in three gallon.  I picked one up from there last summer and it has transplanted beautifully. 

Is Gary retried? I looked up his nursery and his stock looked empty on satellite. 

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

9 hours ago, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

Nope, thankfully he's still in business. He updates his nursery facebook page pretty regularly Gary's Nursery - Home | Facebook

Ok only asked because I saw an older sky view with a newer one, and it looked cleared out. I also had forgotten how cold Jan 2018 was there. He he or others take a big hit from that? 

8C208FDF-DF47-43CD-8155-D05ED0448CBE.jpeg

06D9F078-76D1-41B4-82E4-794419807C3B.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Here is a small Sabal Mexicana patch, apparently planted by the city.
In 2011, it did not exist.
In 2016, the first Sabal emerges.  It has a very small trunk.
By 2019, there are small Sabals everywhere.
We're the small Sabals, small container grown or were they volunteers?

https://goo.gl/maps/xm4aYi6V2wCT1cr98

Screenshot_2021-04-04 26°33'33 0 N 82°05'59 0 W(2).png

Screenshot_2021-04-04 26°33'33 0 N 82°05'59 0 W(1).png

Screenshot_2021-04-04 26°33'33 0 N 82°05'59 0 W(3).png

• Like 1

I see the 2016 Sabal in 2014.  It's a seedling...No trunk. 

Was it a volunteer?  (Sabals were present on the other side of the parking lot)  Either way, they seem prolific

Screenshot_2021-04-04 228 Beal St.png

4 hours ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

I see the 2016 Sabal in 2014.  It's a seedling...No trunk. 

Was it a volunteer?  (Sabals were present on the other side of the parking lot)  Either way, they seem prolific

Screenshot_2021-04-04 228 Beal St.png

bad thing is that they look directly under a power line.... they grew too fast to be volunteering Sabals according to your time line.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Collectorpalms said:

bad thing is that they look directly under a power line.... they grew too fast to be volunteering Sabals according to your time line.

I did not notice the power line.  Darn! 
Thanks for pointing it out!

Anyway, it appears, at the least,  the larger Sabal and most the smaller ones are container grown.   (I'm noticing that they are fairly evenly spaced)
I am impressed with the growth rate. 

They did lose a few of the small seedlings in the freeze.

Now, where does the city get their seedlings??? 
(They are probably grown local)

13 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Ok only asked because I saw an older sky view with a newer one, and it looked cleared out. I also had forgotten how cold Jan 2018 was there. He he or others take a big hit from that? 

8C208FDF-DF47-43CD-8155-D05ED0448CBE.jpeg

06D9F078-76D1-41B4-82E4-794419807C3B.jpeg

January of 2018 was terrible, and even worse for him as he explained to me that his nursery has an unfavorable microclimate.  If you scroll down his Facebook timeline he documented some of the losses and survivors.  He did lose quite a bit of stock, but as of last summer when I dropped by he seemed to have recovered.  I was lucky enough to grab up a seedling from one of his huge palmettos that survived the record temps

Just now, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

January of 2018 was terrible, and even worse for him as he explained to me that his nursery has an unfavorable microclimate.  If you scroll down his Facebook timeline he documented some of the losses and survivors.  He did lose quite a bit of stock, but as of last summer when I dropped by he seemed to have recovered.  I was lucky enough to grab up a seedling from one of his huge palmettos that survived the record temps

Is Chilly Palm is biz, does he ship. Does anyone ship Gary’s plants?

1 minute ago, Collectorpalms said:

Unfortunately I don't think he ships any of his plants.  The guy who runs Chilly Palm Tree Co. grows his own stock, and according to his website he does ship.  Not sure if he has much of a connection with Gary's Nursery, though. 

6 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Are you looking for potted sabals as well? 

I will give Phil from junglemusic.net tomorrow a call because he has some Sabals, at least that is what his website shows. If the shipping from California to TX won’t kill me, I will order some tomorrow.