Sign in to follow this  
Philly J

Splitting my D.Lutescens

Philly J

When I did my W.Robusta repotting, I decided it was time to separate the two biggest from this bunch in hopes of making them trunk at some point.

I put each of them in terracotta and in the same mix:  Leca bottom, half perlite half coir, leca top.  Here’s hoping they don’t go into too much of a shock.  I didn’t have to rip any of the major roots from each of my big guys, took my time to separate them and if there were any rips it was from the smaller clump (which also got repotted but if that dies of shock I’m not as concerned, I want these two beauties to trunk though in a pot, which I don’t see very often).  I will have to get some support for the tallest fronds I think, before they relied on their smaller clumping brothers. 

I have a steady obviously increased watering and feeding schedule going with my other terra/soiless palms but it’s working out, so crossing my fingers that these dypsis respond on the same way.

287AEB4E-3155-40DE-8855-89A1697B6D90.png

210ED15F-71B2-462B-B0F8-D66F862CF4C5.jpeg

2E9275A6-500A-4DCC-9A74-C91BA63D8AC2.jpeg

• Upvote 1

JohnAndSancho

I'm feeling guilty now. I've got 3 pots of C. Elegans (real small) that I've been wanting to split up forever and haven't touched them. My d. Lutescens are A LOT smaller than yours, but one of the pots in my office needs to be repotted at some point. They're in "self watering" pots and the roots are creeping into the water reservoir. Can't decide if I'm depressed or just lazy lol. 

• Like 1

JohnAndSancho

Oof. 

Message_1616780820461_2.jpg

Philly J
8 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Oof. 

Message_1616780820461_2.jpg

Can you extract safely? :bemused:

Edited by Philly J

JohnAndSancho
32 minutes ago, Philly J said:

Can you extract safely? :bemused:

Homey, if I can turn this hotel around the way i have, I can do anything. 

• Like 1

Philly J

I have bad news about the dypsies they are still in shock and declining slowly... :crying: 

I am waiting for them to turn the corner but near the crown on each of them it’s getting “spongy” less firm, spongy at the trunk near the roots too.  The fronds are drooping more and more each day too.  Tried to go easy with the watering even though it’s in the coir and perlite, because after the first watering after transplant the coir and perlite actually held quite a bit of water and the terracotta was always damp kinda, so I was worried.  I also didn’t inspect the roots prior to repot because I did it outside when it was around 40F and cloudy and windy and I wanted to get it done safe but ASAP.  They could have been rotted a little already or actually could have been accidentally damaged by me pulling them from the clump.  But it’s been 6 days and they have not given me any indication they are happy after the transplant shock.  Getting worried.

JohnAndSancho

Good vibes, bruh. Your Dypsis are gorgeous. 

• Like 1

Philly J

Hit it with peroxide drink today they are getting worse.  They were so strong they didn’t need supports when I repotted them, the transplant shock has led me to have to prop up the fronds now.  This sucks I really liked them.  How much longer should I be keeping up this charade for?

JohnAndSancho

Have you tried Superthrive? It's expensive (I paid $11 for a 4 oz bottle) but it'll last forever. A single drop mixes with a gallon of water. It's supposed to ease transplant shock. Everyone either swears by it or thinks it's a scam but it can't hurt anything. 

Philly J
1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Have you tried Superthrive? It's expensive (I paid $11 for a 4 oz bottle) but it'll last forever. A single drop mixes with a gallon of water. It's supposed to ease transplant shock. Everyone either swears by it or thinks it's a scam but it can't hurt anything. 

I will absolutely try it if it’s not too late.  At this point it’s been 9 days.

JohnAndSancho

Now I'm nervous to split up all my community pots :bummed:

Tbf all of my clusters are small and were fairly cheap.