IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wanted to say Hi

Chad king NC

23 hours ago, Chad king NC said:

I haven't been on an online forum other than Facebook in awhile.  So I thought I would say just say hey.  I live just north of Winston Salem, NC. in zone 7a.  I mostly focus on cold hardy palms and agave.  Here are a few recent pics of my yard.  Followed by some taken last yr.  Thanks for looking.

20210315_200326.jpg

20210320_115541.jpg

20210320_140014.jpg

20200728_220017.jpg

23 hours ago, Chad king NC said:

I haven't been on an online forum other than Facebook in awhile.  So I thought I would say just say hey.  I live just north of Winston Salem, NC. in zone 7a.  I mostly focus on cold hardy palms and agave.  Here are a few recent pics of my yard.  Followed by some taken last yr.  Thanks for looking.

20210315_200326.jpg

20210320_115541.jpg

20210320_140014.jpg

20200728_220017.jpg

So I can grow agaves like that in my zone? What do you recommend for Northern Virginia 7a/b? Aside from my cold hardy palms, agaves would be a huge addition to my tiny strip of paradise...There’s a house on the beach in Bethany Delaware that has agaves planted in a huge planter at the entryway but I thought that was a seasonal thing their gardener does for the summer once winter freezes are over...I’d be more than happy to protect them if necessary but any expansion into agave would be a welcome addition since I’m so limited with my palm selection...any agave recommendations would be appreciated..,

1 hour ago, GregVirginia7 said:

So I can grow agaves like that in my zone? What do you recommend for Northern Virginia 7a/b? Aside from my cold hardy palms, agaves would be a huge addition to my tiny strip of paradise...There’s a house on the beach in Bethany Delaware that has agaves planted in a huge planter at the entryway but I thought that was a seasonal thing their gardener does for the summer once winter freezes are over...I’d be more than happy to protect them if necessary but any expansion into agave would be a welcome addition since I’m so limited with my palm selection...any agave recommendations would be appreciated..,

The best agave for our climate is Ovatifolia, lophantha, salmiana, neomexicana, toumeyana bella and parryi huachucensis.  As for cacti there are tons echinocereus that are hardy.  Ferocactus hamatacanthus, trichocereus and echinocactus texensis are great for our zone.

To grow agaves and cacti you need to plant them on a slant. Kinda like you see them in sitsu.  It gives the rain somewhere to runoff.  Also the beds need to raised. Burms work best because you can plant on both sides. The garden bed pictured aboved is on the south side of my house.  My other xeric garden is way out in the open.  Make sure you mix the soil to about 70/30 grit to soil.  PDN has a great video on youtube about their soil mixture in their crevice gardens. Great info there.  Below are some pics of a new burm I started last Sept. and a few agave ovatifolia ( most recomended).

20200913_142607.jpg

20200907_202043.jpg

20200411_193204.jpg

• Like 3

Fantastic! Had no idea...will begin to learn...got the perfect south facing embankment in the backyard...do you have a place you order from that you like?

Great job Chad! I grew up in Winston and in fact will be traveling from Puerto Rico to visit family there, as my first post COVID vaccine trip in May. 

Small world and one of the many things I like about PalmTalk!

It is amazing what you grow there! Keep inspiring the many folks who succeed in growing palms in cold climates!

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

49 minutes ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Fantastic! Had no idea...will begin to learn...got the perfect south facing embankment in the backyard...do you have a place you order from that you like?

I do order a lot from PDN.  Plus there are some forums on facebook that some good sellers.  I can get more information.  Always keep an eye out on ebay.

39 minutes ago, Cindy Adair said:

Great job Chad! I grew up in Winston and in fact will be traveling from Puerto Rico to visit family there, as my first post COVID vaccine trip in May. 

Small world and one of the many things I like about PalmTalk!

It is amazing what you grow there! Keep inspiring the many folks who succeed in growing palms in cold climates!

Thanks a lot!  I bet you can't wait to get out again.  I know I enjoy every little trip I can take.