IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wanted to say Hi

Chad king NC

I haven't been on an online forum other than Facebook in awhile.  So I thought I would say just say hey.  I live just north of Winston Salem, NC. in zone 7a.  I mostly focus on cold hardy palms and agave.  Here are a few recent pics of my yard.  Followed by some taken last yr.  Thanks for looking.

20210315_200326.jpg

20210320_115541.jpg

20210320_140014.jpg

20200728_220017.jpg

• Like 15
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Chad king NC said:

I haven't been on an online forum other than Facebook in awhile.  So I thought I would say just say hey.  I live just north of Winston Salem, NC. in zone 7a.  I mostly focus on cold hardy palms and agave.  Here are a few recent pics of my yard.  Followed by some taken last yr.  Thanks for looking.

20210315_200326.jpg

20210320_115541.jpg

20210320_140014.jpg

20200728_220017.jpg

That is quite a collection of Palms Agave cacti and yucca.  What is that cacti in the 3rd picture?  I just recently got into cacti and that looks like a nice one.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

That is quite a collection of Palms Agave cacti and yucca.  What is that cacti in the 3rd picture?  I just recently got into cacti and that looks like a nice one.

Reyes, that would be a trichocereus grandiflorus hybrid commonly sold at big box stores. I have several that have withstood 0° F.

20200502_074734.jpg

Edited by Chad king NC
  • Like 6

You have a BEAUTIFUL garden! The palms are fantastic and the cacti and succulents are just amazingly beautiful!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Palm Man said:

You have a BEAUTIFUL garden! The palms are fantastic and the cacti and succulents are just amazingly beautiful!

Thanks!  I wanted to post pics of more palms, but they didn't turn out too great. 

Just now, Jimhardy said:

Everything looks great!  Nice job

Thanks Jim! Long time no talk. How is your garden going?

I moved....right before that,I started over with a bunch of new palms.

Some pics from last year.

70CffwY.jpg?1

First pics is the east  side. second is south facing

ZMRnwuE.jpg?1

Edited by Jimhardy
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, Jimhardy said:

70CffwY.jpg?1

ZMRnwuE.jpg?1

Dang!! That's Iowa?? My plants in Texas don't look that good!  Your brugmansia is beautiful.  I guess I should try one, but they don't like our summers and  wait til fall to bloom.

• Like 2

Yep...this is the old place form a few years ago

Chad I hope you don't mind some more pics...

T."Bulgaria"

ieVJ0wm.jpg?1

Waggie with Ensete Glaucum in the background

eNiZ9x5.jpg?2

igZp2qF.jpg

Edited by Jimhardy
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Jimhardy said:

70CffwY.jpg?1

ZMRnwuE.jpg?1

Very nice, and I am sure your just getting started. 

1 hour ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

Dang!! That's Iowa?? My plants in Texas don't look that good!  Your brugmansia is beautiful.  I guess I should try one, but they don't like our summers and  wait til fall to bloom.

Its called good dirt, it even feels better when you walk on it.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Chad king NC said:

Here are a few last yr pics of the fountain and tropical garden.

20200822_094629.jpg

20200724_175650.jpg

20200813_170919.jpg

20200411_192302.jpg

I really like all of the contrasting colors.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chad king NC said:

Here are a few last yr pics of the fountain and tropical garden.

20200822_094629.jpg

20200724_175650.jpg

20200813_170919.jpg

20200411_192302.jpg

Is that a T. princeps?

These are fantastic pictures. I particularly like the agave/cactus/yucca garden.

It's amazing that Trichocereus grandiflora has survived 0 degrees Fahrenheit without damage, as it is listed only hardy to 15-20 degrees.

What about that Trichocereus tersscheckii, has it also seen 0 degrees Fahrenheit ?

And the Butia in the ground is also amazing in your zone. My 2 butias have once seen  13 degrees Fahrenheit and  both had their spears rotting afterwards, but luckily that has grown out.

Hello! Just saying hi, eh :P But what a super super impressive collection. Palms, cycads, agaves, Pachypodium...oh myyyy (and you're in NC!) 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

5 hours ago, Teegurr said:

Is that a T. princeps?

Yes, that is a princeps.  I have had it in the ground for at least 5 yrs now.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Xenon said:

Hello! Just saying hi, eh :P But what a super super impressive collection. Palms, cycads, agaves, Pachypodium...oh myyyy (and you're in NC!) 

Oh thank you!  Luckily we have great summer heat.  Our humidity and annual precipitation forces me to grow on raised beds or burms.  Otherwise all my succulents would die during winter.   

7 hours ago, amh said:

I really like all of the contrasting colors.

Thank you, nothing like new foilage. Before summer burns the color out of it.  I miss the garden looking like that last pic. It got way too overgrown last yr. In need of some thinning out.  

• Like 1

I was going to ask the same thing about the Princeps...nice!

Looking at your garden again I recall (if correctly) you first starting

out making those beds....everything looks so good and I am sure there

are many hidden gems mixed in there-love the Agave!

BTW...Tricho is hardy to somewhere around 10F if it warms up fast...

I lost the one in my pic to less than 10F...I thought it was ok the next morning

until it unthawed and was brown and a tenth the size, the big Rostrata was lost

too but it made it easier to move out of that place.

I have some plants hiding too...the Castor shade the Tree ferns...and some other stuff...

2 more pics......Cyathea Cooper in back and Cyathea Robusta in front partially visible.

oBjHmi6.jpg?1

one more from the south side-last year

dPZSEOr.jpg?1

Edited by Jimhardy
  • Like 1

I lost the one in my pic to less than 10F...I thought it was ok the next morning

I have some plants hiding too...the Castor shade the Tree ferns...and some other stuff...

2 more pics......Cyathea Cooper in back and Cyathea Robusta in front partially visible.

oBjHmi6.jpg?1

dPZSEOr.jpg?1

Yeah, I started out with 500 sq ft the expanded. Then more. Now the front yard is a cottage garden with a path that leads around. Pretty much the entire acre is almost garden now.  As for a few hidden gems, I don't know, but definitely some plants that are gems to me. As for the tricho, I have found the hybrids from Altmans to be the hardiest. Down to 0.

20200524_173623.jpg

20200411_183954.jpg

20200822_094710.jpg

• Like 3

:D

Sorry I wasn't more clear...The Trichocereus Terscheckii hardy to maybe 10F ish...

mine may have been below 0 along with the Rostrata....dead & dead

I think your Princeps is going to have a big year...AWESOME.

Hey BTW in the second pic, what kind of Sabal are those?

I am still checking out you pics because there is so much to see.

What kind of Amorphophallus is that?

46 minutes ago, Jimhardy said:

:D

Sorry I wasn't more clear...The Trichocereus Terscheckii hardy to maybe 10F ish...

mine may have been below 0 along with the Rostrata....dead & dead

I think your Princeps is going to have a big year...AWESOME.

Hey BTW in the second pic, what kind of Sabal are those?

I am still checking out you pics because there is so much to see.

What kind of Amorphophallus is that?

I have a row of minors there. Closes to the building is a blue pot, then brazoria, then another blue pot. I will try to get a better photo.  The Amorphophallus is konjac.  I also have this one and can't remember which one it was. Unfortunately, it hasn't bloomed yet.

20200626_182952.jpg

Edited by Chad king NC
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, aegean said:

These are fantastic pictures. I particularly like the agave/cactus/yucca garden.

It's amazing that Trichocereus grandiflora has survived 0 degrees Fahrenheit without damage, as it is listed only hardy to 15-20 degrees.

What about that Trichocereus tersscheckii, has it also seen 0 degrees Fahrenheit ?

And the Butia in the ground is also amazing in your zone. My 2 butias have once seen  13 degrees Fahrenheit and  both had their spears rotting afterwards, but luckily that has grown out.

Thanks. I haven't found tersscheckii to be hardy here.  I have tried another small one in an expansion I did last yr. It has survived,  but we only saw 14° F this winter.

As for the butia, I do tie the fronds up and wrap it with a frost cloth Dec - Feb.  I know they can be finicky,  but so far this one hasn't had rot problems in the spring.

13 hours ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

3 hours ago, Jimhardy said:

oBjHmi6.jpg?1

dPZSEOr.jpg?1

You need a "How to"  thread for this..I can't get elephant ears like this in San Antonio. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chad king NC said:

Yeah, I started out with 500 sq ft the expanded. Then more. Now the front yard is a cottage garden with a path that leads around. Pretty much the entire acre is almost garden now.  As for a few hidden gems, I don't know, but definitely some plants that are gems to me. As for the tricho, I have found the hybrids from Altmans to be the hardiest. Down to 0.

20200411_183954.jpg

Beautiful landscaping...love your pitcher plants around the pond...

Is this voo-doo lily hardy or do you grow it as an annual? 

Edited by PricklyPearSATC

15 hours ago, Chad king NC said:

20210315_200326.jpg

What is the the little feather palm to the left of the Butia?

16 minutes ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

Beautiful landscaping...love your pitcher plants around the pond...

Is this voo-doo lily hardy or do you grow it as an annual? 

Thanks!  The lilies are fully hardy.  I just made the mistake of planting them too close to the patio once (I thought my wife was going to kill me).

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, PricklyPearSATC said:

What is the the little feather palm to the left of the Butia?

That isn't a palm. That is soft caress mahonia.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chad king NC said:

Thanks for reminding me to order caster beans.  I had completely forgotten. 

Hey Chad

If you have any problem finding the Zanzibar Castor that gets the huge leaves I might have some

I can spare...they are getting harder to find with the true big leaves,dont trust the pictures or the

people selling them, usually they are growing near other varieties of Castor and hybridize leaving

spindly (at least to me) plants that are undesirable...the seeds should be the size of a dime (about)

no exceptions...also the lighter colored ones with speckles will produce all green plants and the

dark colored seeds produce the ones with red trunks and stems.

Edited by Jimhardy

3 hours ago, Jimhardy said:

Hey Chad

If you have any problem finding the Zanzibar Castor that gets the huge leaves I might have some

I can spare...they are getting harder to find with the true big leaves,dont trust the pictures or the

people selling them, usually they are growing near other varieties of Castor and hybridize leaving

spindly (at least to me) plants that are undesirable...the seeds should be the size of a dime (about)

no exceptions...also the lighter colored ones with speckles will produce all green plants and the

dark colored seeds produce the ones with red trunks and stems.

Well crap, I have already ordered some. Post a pic.  

BTW, is this the sabal your talking about. I bought it last yr for $25 from my landscape friend and have no idea what it is.

20210321_174533.jpg

No I was looking at the ones in the second picture, reminded me of my Brazoria

As a matter of fact,after seeing yours I rode by the old place....there is a Waggie trunk left(dead)

and 2 plants live on amazingly,a variegated Gloriosa and ........wait for it.............................S.Brazoria.

There was a McCurtain still alive but probably mowed down to many times.

I tried several times to rotate this pic sorry....the P.O.C. seeds in the pack correct seeds next to dime

yPWf3t7.jpg?1

• Like 1

No I was looking at the ones in the second picture, reminded me of my Brazoria

As a matter of fact,after seeing yours I rode by the old place....there is a Waggie trunk left(dead)

and 2 plants live on amazingly,a variegated Gloriosa and ........wait for it.............................S.Brazoria.

There was a McCurtain still alive but probably mowed down to many times.

I tried several times to rotate this pic sorry....the P.O.C. seeds in the pack correct seeds next to dime

yPWf3t7.jpg?1

Wow, truly amazed that the Brazoria would still be alive.  How long has it been since you moved?

Thanks for the pics.