PalmatierMeg

Are theses Dypsis madagascariensis v mahajanga seedlings?

PalmatierMeg

I germinated these seedlings several years ago. They are still tiny but hanging in there. I still have dozens of them. I believe they are D. madagascariensis v mahajanga but I need confirmation from a Dypsis afficionado. I got the seeds from @NatureGirl back in 2018 or so. They are maddeningly slow growing as some Dypsis are but are surprisingly resilient. They stay outdoors in the shade year round and get no protection from the elements. I have dozens of them I am looking to sell as I don't have time and energy to keep herding them around.

Are these D. mad v mahajanga?

286015314_Dypsismadvmah0103-19-21.thumb.JPG.3708c62297f22b510893d90459befd3b.JPG1239376918_Dypsismadvmah0203-19-21.thumb.JPG.42c80f07587fc876ccb9a7d249f1f20f.JPG1029732203_Dypsismadvmah0303-19-21.thumb.JPG.478b7146876196f151aaedb1c5d364c8.JPG

NatureGirl

They look like it, lots of volunteers under my tree.

4DAF412C-DB79-473D-9764-9CE58FE98E43.jpeg

• Like 1

EricSatBch

I got some from @NatureGirl a few years ago as well.  I moved them around (poor planning) a few times so they didn't take off much, but now being in the same spot both seem to be faster than average growth.  I have one in the back and one in the front.  I expect them to double in size by winter time.  

20210325_114503.jpg

20210325_114455.jpg

20210325_114513.jpg

20210325_114611.jpg

20210325_114625.jpg

20210325_114634.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• K2HI
      By K2HI
      Can anyone ID this palm?  It is growing very well near Pacifica, California. My daughter and son in law just bought a house nearby and would love to plant one. I’ve informed them that if this is a date palm (what species/cultivar?) that this is probably a very old tree. I would like to get a positive ID on this as I think it is a magnificent, absolutely gorgeous palm!  I wish we could grow date palms here as we love dates, and date palms are really beautiful, but our collection of palms is growing fast. Mahalo nui loa for your help!

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      I have been doing battle with a perennial that keeps coming back despite my best efforts to extract it.  It appears to be a bulb that keeps pushing out new leaves every year for several years now.  I try to extract it, but have never gotten down far enough to the source bulb or roots.  The reason is that it popped up adjacent to a prized plant that I don't want to damage.  That plant is an Encephalartos inopinus, so I've been reluctant to dig too deep.  This spring, I've let it get much bigger than normal before trying to remove it, and thought I would see what the flowers look like.  I removed the flowers so they don't go to seed in my garden to add more digging, but brought them into the house in a small container so my wife could appreciate them.  The flowers are very fragrant.
      Anyone recognize this plant and flowers?  The strap leafed plant next to my E inopinus along with flower photos, and perspective on the plant I don't want it to invade (E inopinus).

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I've been wanting to go out and take photos since New Years but have been recovering from major surgery. I'm up and around for now and have decided to do a photo layout of some of the palm seedlings I've grown from seeds over the past couple years. The list is not comprehensive and includes a Dypsis and Cham turckheimii I bought rather than germinated. Most everybody has seen photos of mature palms but few of us have seen them as small seedlings or juveniles.
      1. Ptychosperma sp 'Cartegna'

2. Dypsis ifanadianae w/heel

3. Drymophloeous oliviformis

4. Ptychosperma microcarpum

5. Chamaedorea alternans

6. Ptychosperma unk sp Australia

7. Chamaedorea tuerckheimii

8. Cyphophoenix elegans

9. Howea forsteriana

10. Licuala fordiana

11. Licuala lauterbachii

12. Pinanga maculata

13. Hydriastele dransfieldii

14. Carpoxylon macrospermum

15. Chamaedorea geoniformis

16. Brassiophoenix schumannii

17. Areca catechu dwarf x Areca macrocalyx

18. Chamaedorea arenbergiana variegated

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Below is a photo I took at Naples Botanical Garden of this nifty Begonia-like understory plant last August. Can someone tell me what it is? I would love to find one.
      Begonia ??

• Albey
      By Albey
      Hi there,
      I thought i would post an update of my Dypsis decipiens nearly 10-years after planting it out in possibly the coldest climate i have seen this Palm growing in.
      Shes a slow grower but it is now getting faster the bigger it gets. Here is the pic when planted out and how it is now.