IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconut in Montana

TokyoShowdown

So a little over two years ago I was on Maui and was able to get a sprouted coconut (about 2 inches) back to my home in Montana. Last spring it grew large enough to hit my ceiling. I had a large LED grow light over it but once it grew large enough, it just shot fronds past it. Admitting it was likely the end, I put it outside during the summer. It survived, despite some of the fronds dried out from Montana's very dry climate near the mountains. However, its growth greatly slowed and I was able to bring it back in during the fall. Well, as summer approaches, the coconut palm is still alive. So basically, how long can I slow its growth without killing it? 

The one outside is from last summer when I first put it out. The second is what it looks like today. I know it won't get enough sunlight to thrive in the space its in now, which is why I had moved it outside. Of course, during the winter temps can hit lower than -20F.  As you can see, a lot of the plants don't get enough sun or humidity in winter although I'm working on making adjustments to my office space so they will do better. 

IMG_1275.thumb.jpg.0e73413512efed470adb7c6cea9efb57.jpgIMG_3215.thumb.jpg.56a1439f288f9e2334c5ad9e8852f2d2.jpg

Edited by TokyoShowdown

During the winter, you could use a humidifier and let it sit in front of a south facing window (if possible). The reason you palm is so tall is because it has stretched itself for light. Your palm is very young and is just now putting out half mature fronds. Believe me, your palm will look much better one it has replaced all strap leaves with mature fronds.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

With more light do you think the fronds will shorten instead of legging? Also, I was thinking of putting it outside again but with an outdoor mister. However, I'm curious if that would invite fungus infections on the fronds. 

Slow acclimation is going to be important.  I’m in zone 3b and bring mine out late April for short spells in the shade.  If I brought them out in full July sun for the first time they would scorch for sure.  I don’t know if an outside mister would do any good, I think the overall humidity around it during summer would be enough.  But like yourself, I’m both a home grower and office grower, and my office has ZERO natural light.  I keep my overhead LED’s on 24/7 and also supplement with grow lights.  

• Like 1

@TokyoShowdown  I had experience with a  potted coconut from HI.  They need sun/lots of light, and to be well watered.  They do not like cold temps, do not tolerate freezes period.  Mine was grown outside in the Texas heat during summer and went pinnate.  A very early sudden freeze set it back and it never fully recovered even in a heated greenhouse.   There have been examples here on PT, of coconuts grown indoors successfully.

• Like 1