IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Date Palm Pollen

mxcolin

Does anyone have a good source for male Date Palm pollen. I have a female that produces a lot of fruit each year but they never get pollinated and eventually the fruit just withers and dies. I've done some googling but there never seems to be any available. I thought it was going to be much easier to find it.

• 1 month later...

It's good to dry it under a light bulb or fluorescent before to ship it or store it.

Edited by manuel2021
  • Like 1

I am waiting, I have 3 males, 1 deglet Noor and 2 from Murcia a cross, of sweet dates, I will post images when I pollinate, 

I could mail some pollen, drop an envelope without tracking nearby will be the easiest for me. Or ups but then it's 25 or 30 e. From Spain. If I am getting some.

Edited by manuel2021

To unfortunate, that you are living in a different continent, cause mine is blooming right now and I could easily gather some pollen. Besides it has proven a very good specimen, as offspring from its pollen looks quite robust.

20210508_190351.jpg

• Like 2

me too i am in a different continent and my offer went in the water, so i will not ship any pollen cause i do not think its really important for them. I was trying to be helpfull and nobody responded, in reality not only ina  different continent biut the post is hard to reach here, so i wont ship any, sorry.

Edited by manuel2021
  • Upvote 1

On 5/7/2021 at 9:25 PM, manuel2021 said:

I am waiting, I have 3 males, 1 deglet Noor and 2 from Murcia a cross, of sweet dates, I will post images when I pollinate, 

I could mail some pollen, drop an envelope without tracking nearby will be the easiest for me. Or ups but then it's 25 or 30 e. From Spain. If I am getting some.

Have you observed a difference in the length of male spathes between the deglet noor variety and the Murcia cross? I have a male specimen grown from deglet noor seed, which produces very long spathes. But I am not sure idf this a feature of the particular variety, because my plant is a result of sexual propagation (seed).

I would love someone to ship them to me and would even pay for it happily. I don’t know how feasible it would be to get it shipped to the US. However if anyone is willing to try, let me know how you’d like to go about it. Didn’t ignore the offer just didn’t see the replies until now. It would be much appreciated. 

Hi Phoenikakias,  i have seen spathe from before the trasnplant, drying here indeed, some were removed, to avoid trasnpamnt stress, but none except a few have done spathe yet, 

the tipical caracter from Deglet i observed are the following, long palm very straight, not ondulating, a special green, and also, the fact some fronds in the midle stage could dry up and some lower these who stay green, with other words, i saw some Deglet with many dry fronds on top of the crown and around, *makes it harder to prune these indeed( if i find a photo i will show you what i am saying, instead of having his lower fronds dried, they are a bit everywhere in the crown. and this is not a sickness. like this image. but right now i do not have this problem with the feeding and water i give. i know from where mine were coming from i saw lot of phenotypes like this photo and i thaught they were infected but deglet noor does that.

I will ship pollen the cheap way, for you guys, sorry. Mxcolin, waiting myself to get some.

deglet-nour-dates-palm-tree.jpg

Edited by manuel2021
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Deglet noor spathe coming up and medjool flowers.

My deglet might Express male and female flowers  many from this place were auto pollinating, not to say hermaphrodites.

20210516_105718.jpg

20210516_105218.jpg

Edited by manuel2021
  • Like 2

I could taste dates from the Murcian cross cause I did pollinate a few flowers during transplant, taste was good despite first dates here and they  came with an heavy seeds inside. I got a double, a triple with 2 males, and 3 single murcian cross. Lot of dates are grown in elche murcia maybe 30 varieties or more. These were the most productive, out of 240 trees plantation, except some much taller ones I could not get, and best sweetest dates he had, no joke, some holding 200 kgs of dates, I saw the image of my biggest trunk one.

I said yes to get some bearing both flowers to get more viable fertile pollen options.

They re mostly sells for ornamental so they don't care selling the best date producers. The best is to eat the dates from the tree and choose the tree at harvest time.

Edited by manuel2021
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, manuel2021 said:

I could taste dates from the Murcian cross cause I did pollinate a few flowers during transplant, taste was good despite first dates here and they  came with an heavy seeds inside. I got a double, a triple with 2 males, and 3 single murcian cross. Lot of dates are grown in elche murcia maybe 30 varieties or more. These were the most productive, out of 240 trees plantation, except some much taller ones I could not get, and best sweetest dates he had, no joke, some holding 200 kgs of dates, I saw the image of my biggest trunk one.

I said yes to get some bearing both flowers to get more viable fertile pollen options.

They re mostly sells for ornamental so they don't care selling the best date producers. The best is to eat the dates from the tree and choose the tree at harvest time.

Maybe we can exchange dates in coming autumn. We may find interesting the taste of certain dates and consider their propagation worthy.

Yes sure.

The problem starting from seeds, is what happened for the gentleman in Murcia with 240 trees from eaten dates local, from 50 small maybe 5 were tasting good and good producers  when I found the 10 feet trunk circumference one, it's part of the best starting from seeds but it took him 240 trees to grow....its a plantation he created but it's not to produce dates, rather for trees and dates.

The deglet came from an abandoned plantation haight years ago. But I m convinced I can't get better outcome from these 3 lines, deglet, medjool invitro so young starting to produce and the deglet soon. Like the deglet owner said, the main difference between plantation for dates and a garden center type shop, is the room between each tree while growing.

Edited by manuel2021

If my female produces dates this year

15 hours ago, manuel2021 said:

Yes sure.

The problem starting from seeds, is what happened for the gentleman in Murcia with 240 trees from eaten dates local, from 50 small maybe 5 were tasting good and good producers  when I found the 10 feet trunk circumference one, it's part of the best starting from seeds but it took him 240 trees to grow....its a plantation he created but it's not to produce dates, rather for trees and dates.

The deglet came from an abandoned plantation haight years ago. But I m convinced I can't get better outcome from these 3 lines, deglet, medjool invitro so young starting to produce and the deglet soon. Like the deglet owner said, the main difference between plantation for dates and a garden center type shop, is the room between each tree while growing.

If my female plant produces dates this year, I will send to you. Last year it had not even bloomed in contrast to fore last year. It originates from a sprouted seed, if I had not trusted a sexually produced seedling, I would not have now a female plant producing syrupy dates.

Good for you, and it's very important, all these invitro "supercrop" datepalm come from seeds, all the best phenotype to be found will be found by seeds.

I despine some today, using rocamora hand forged tools.

20210517_134140.jpg

• Like 1