IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Best way to water Phoenix sylvestris

MesquiteRetreat

Back on May 24, 2017 I asked, “How much water is too much water for a Royal”. The response was basically, “You cannot over water a Royal”. So, thanks to the input of so many folks, I seriously upped our water and now we don’t worry about him.

take him off regular drip and just water him deeply once a month. Wow, what a difference that made. He is now one happy fella and we don’t worry about him either.

Now, I have the same question about our Phoenix sylvestris. Photo 1 is from a distance, and I think he looks fine, except for some telltale signs of the recent freeze we got here in Deep South Texas. Photo 2 is a close up, and is making me nervous. It is on the far side, so I only now noticed it. Why are the roots doing this??? Am I watering too much, or too close, or both??? He is on drip and gets about 30 gallons 2x/week.

Someone at a local nursery just told me I should water my Sylvester like I water my Sabal, just deeply once a month. Would this be a better program for the Sylvester?

Sylvester-Watering1.jpg

Sylvester-Watering2.jpg

You should post this topic in the Discussing Palms or Cold Hardy forums. You will get more responses

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 2 weeks later...

Its some root flare, dont worry. How long has the phoenix been in the ground? If it has been in ground 3 months or more i think you can cut back on watering. it all depends on how good your soil holds moisture. In well draining soil 1-2 times a week is probably good. however in slow draining clay once a month might be ok. What i recommend doing is bring a small shovel when you think its time to water and dig down some near the palms. If its still moist wait some more and try and dig again in another spot another day until its more or less dry. Once you know more or less when the soil dries out you can adjust your frequenzy from that.